Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single Turbo 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 02:31 PM
JPizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately glad I wasn't rash and get something else, I can't wait to see how this system turns out.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I like the idea of the carbon fiber cover but I would prefer it be optional to the kit to keep cost down. Several of us have already refinished our stock covers in a color of our choice and I would just as soon keep the cover I have. You also avoid issue with ppl that have aftermarket strut-tower braces.

I wouldn’t mind having to send my ECU off for a re-flash, and would go that route if left with no option but I would prefer something a little more flexible in the tuning arena, such as the successes the Greddy and Vortech guys have seen.

And in regards to the “Y Collector” that bolts to the stock manifolds, will those of us with aftermarket headers need to return to stock? In most turbo applications I would automatically say “yes, you would” but that is assuming that the turbo is bolting to the manifold.

If I could, in fact, utilize my headers, then that will directly affect my tuning needs….

Lastly….the downpipe coming off the turbo….how does it mate to the stock exhast and at what point?.

Thanks, I hope this helps
Thanks you for the feedback. We have not tried the installation with aftermarket headers so I am not yet sure of fitmet issues.

The downpipe connects into the stock exhaust after the stock "Y" assembly after the factory CATs
Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by AxionF117
very cool kit, will this be made for the G35 though?
Yes, for two reasons...first the demand apears to be there for it and second I personally bought one last week.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by dollar99
I think you should use the Splitsec box for engine management. It controls timing as well. us Vortech owners love the system. Very easy to tune by yourself on a laptop.

The problem with a reflash, is that the customer can't fine tune the maps by himself/herself on a dyno. What if he wants to tune for 94 octane? or even race fuel?
You raise some very valid points...our first thought was to create as much of a full proof bolt on system that ran exceptionally well. From most of the people we have talked to very few had the ability or want to tune themselves although I fully understand were your coming from. It may very well be that we will need more than one solution.
We have tried the split second box on another application in our line up and had some capatibity issues with the stock ECU.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:25 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by Turbonetics
Thanks you for the feedback. We have not tried the installation with aftermarket headers so I am not yet sure of fitmet issues.

The downpipe connects into the stock exhaust after the stock "Y" assembly after the factory CATs
so this will essentially replace the y -pipe altogther correct. In other words flow goes from the headers-->merged via pipe to the turbo--->off the turbo into the downpipe--->to the single mid-pipe--->muffler Or did I miss something....BTW Very excited to see this thing!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by JPizzle
Definately glad I wasn't rash and get something else, I can't wait to see how this system turns out.
Of course I am a little bias but I think it will be a great success. it's a little out of the box from what else is available. Not that there anything wrong with what is currently on the market as they all seem to be very well put together and do what were designed to do...make power.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
so this will essentially replace the y -pipe altogther correct. In other words flow goes from the headers-->merged via pipe to the turbo--->off the turbo into the downpipe--->to the single mid-pipe--->muffler Or did I miss something....BTW Very excited to see this thing!!!!
Yes, you are correct...seeing is nice but driving it will be better. See ya next Friday.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yes, you are correct...seeing is nice but driving it will be better. See ya next Friday.
FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 05:39 PM
ColecatZ

First issue I have found for this kit........atleast for the ppl with a true dual exhaust...and I'm sure there are a lot of us.

Since the stock exhaust transports the length of the car via a single pipe, it makes sense to bring the down pipe back far enough to elimnate the factory "Y" pipe converging off the cats, but the Stillen, Borla TD, Injen TD, and a few other exhausts I'm sure will be left with a little extra duct work. Only alternative would be to have an exhaust shop fashiion a section to split the single downpipe coming from the turbo back off to the dual catback.....inwhich case I would rather buy a new system or have the whole thing done custom with open pipe to the rear....turbos are mufflers anyway.

Good thing I kept my stock exhaust...

This will be ideal for the owners that bought the single pipe japaese exhausts where the "Y" pipe is sold seperatly and they have the aftermarket catback mated to the stock "y" pipe. Looks like my Stillen may be for sale soon, unless someone has a Fujitsubo Legalis R to trade.....would also consider the JIC Magic Twin 505S ST Full Titanium muffler setup.....

Last edited by ColecatZ; 09-09-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:43 PM
AxionF117

awesome

Yes, for two reasons...first the demand apears to be there for it and second I personally bought one last week.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:38 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
First issue I have found for this kit........atleast for the ppl with a true dual exhaust...and I'm sure there are a lot of us.

Since the stock exhaust transports the length of the car via a single pipe, it makes sense to bring the down pipe back far enough to elimnate the factory "Y" pipe converging off the cats, but the Stillen, Borla TD, Injen TD, and a few other exhausts I'm sure will be left with a little extra duct work. Only alternative would be to have an exhaust shop fashiion a section to split the single downpipe coming from the turbo back off to the dual catback.....inwhich case I would rather buy a new system or have the whole thing done custom with open pipe to the rear....turbos are mufflers anyway.

Good thing I kept my stock exhaust...

This will be ideal for the owners that bought the single pipe japaese exhausts where the "Y" pipe is sold seperatly and they have the aftermarket catback mated to the stock "y" pipe. Looks like my Stillen may be for sale soon, unless someone has a Fujitsubo Legalis R to trade.....would also consider the JIC Magic Twin 505S ST Full Titanium muffler setup.....
Well as with any turbo kit you might have to sacrifice one mod to pick up a GRIP of power with another.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:05 PM
ColecatZ

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Well as with any turbo kit you might have to sacrifice one mod to pick up a GRIP of power with another.
Oh yeah, I'm not complaining at all..... I will gladly do it.

I just wanted to voice it now and get it out incase someone is researching the post later on and decides to order the turbo kit only to figure out they have to drop another $800 or so on exhaust when it doesn't match up. (Assuming they don't still have the stocker)

Just means there will be a lot of great deals on intakes, headers, and dual catbacks for all the guys staying NA....
Old 09-09-2004, 07:17 PM
ColecatZ

Turbonetics, just an FYI, I sent the info you have posted thus far to Avalon Racing a few days ago to find out if they intended on carrying this kit and they currently have their tech reviewing and researching it. Is there someone specific they should get in contact with too field any questions?

Thanks in advance for your time

Last edited by ColecatZ; 09-09-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Rayden2001

Sponsor me I gotta see pics of this. I'm about to buy a twin turbo kit soon . When is this kit coming out? I can wait a month , this is when I'm buying my kit.

Last edited by Rayden2001; 09-09-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:26 PM
JPizzle

Rayden- you get the twin turbo, and I'll pick up the sponsorship
Old 09-09-2004, 09:45 PM
ColecatZ

yeah, I seriously concidered seeking the sponsorship route, but decided I just cant be ready in time. Turbonetics, acording to early posts, is looking to have this kit ready for Sema which is first of next month.....and I need more assurance before I make that kind of commitment. So I'll focus on getting the clutch and flywheel (and maybe final drive rearend swap) and what not taken care of while a few kits get installed and tuned and then I'll be ready. In the meantime I can sell my headers(new), catback, and intake.

Last edited by ColecatZ; 09-09-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:17 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so there's no way to keep the cat?
Old 09-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by accordfreak
so there's no way to keep the cat?
Not at this time. we are researching a single CAT that would be legal in California for this application and we will keep the forum updated as things progress.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:17 AM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by Rayden2001
Sponsor me I gotta see pics of this. I'm about to buy a twin turbo kit soon . When is this kit coming out? I can wait a month , this is when I'm buying my kit.
we have posted pics earlier in the thread for your review. one of things you may be interested to know and you can see by the pics is our polished turbocharger sits up in plain view just behind the drivers headlight..you can actually see your investment everytime you open the hood.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:39 AM
97modman

Turbonetics quote:
we have posted pics earlier in the thread for your review. one of things you may be interested to know and you can see by the pics is our polished turbocharger sits up in plain view just behind the drivers headlight..you can actually see your investment everytime you open the hood.

cant wait..

Quick Reply: Single Turbo 350Z