Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Bought PE TT kit... now what?! (LONG)

Old 07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
zimbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought PE TT kit... now what?! (LONG)

As many of you know, after 7 months and 8000 miles with my beloved Vortech supercharger, I got bored enough that I decided to go TT instead. I love the Vortech, but I want to feel first hand what turbos are like and, frankly, the supercharger whine at stoplights has grown annoying to me.

I tried to go with custom turbo manifolds and use many of my existing Vortech parts but the manifolds didn't fit and so I was back at square 1. After lots of internal back-and-forth I decided to just sell the entire Vortech kit (PM me if interested) and go with a complete kit that I can run at 7-8psi daily driven with the occasional track run at 9psi or so.

Here's my breakdown of the plusses and minuses of the kits I know of:

Greddy - Less expensive than other kits, lots of experience on this board to draw from but install is crazy hard (and there's even less room under the engine on the G35 sedan than on the Z). Turbos seem to be designed for higher boost than I want to run, and I cannot bring myself to remove the bumper and relocate the airbag sensor. Too many stories of air bags not employing.

APS - Expensive but worth it. Looks like it will be a great kit but I think the reality is that IMO it will be a long time before there is a tuning map that will work for my specific car and my fuel (93 octane). The inability to tune this kit myself is just about the only drawback.

JWT - Looks like another solid kit, but I prefer a single FMIC to the two small ones. I don't have enough info on what it's going to take to have this kit run at 8psi and I don't know when specifically it will be available. Having something available right now is somewhat important to me.

PE - This is the kit I decided on. Small BB turbos, easy install compared to Greddy, full fuel system, very high quality parts. Downside = no BOV and requires additional work to get to 8psi.

So the next question is... What's the best way to achieve my boost goals (ie. 7-8psi DD, 9psi on the track)?

TS Reflash - Assuming TS has a reflash that will work perfectly with my car and ECU at 9psi, this is a no brainer. Do a 9psi reflash and then run around town at 8psi (a bit rich but so what). Problem is, I know that there has to this point been A LOT of back-and-forth with the PE TT reflashes that TS has done and I really don't want to have to go back and forth multiple times getting everything right.

TS + Greddy eManage - This approach would be to do a rough reflash with TS and then use eManage to fine-tune things. However, the frying the coils thing scares me. Simply not leaving the car in the "on-unstarted" state is NOT acceptable. Is there a real fix for this issue?

TS + Split Second - Same as above but using SS box and R4 software for fine tuning. I have no idea if this would work, but I'm familiar with the R4 software and my car already has an SS box wired to it so it has appeal.

Split Second box only - Again, I don't know if this would work and it's not as ideal has a TS reflash but I wouldn't have the back-and-forth and I'd save the $600 for a reflash.

Any other ideas? Another variable to the equation is that I already own a set of RC 440 injectors and an injector harness. Could I somehow use the RC 440s instead of the PE 380 injectors? That way I'd have more fuel potential down the road and I could sell the PE 380s for a significant amount of money.

Your feedback welcome. Remember... I already bought the PE kit so suggestions within that context are preferred.

--Steve
Old 07-28-2004, 03:50 PM
350Now

I think you can install the 440cc injectors and sell the PE 380cc. Use the cash and get a TS Flash at 380 then pick up an E-manage to fine tune the 440cc injectors. You can use the scaling on the E-manage for your injectors. You can also have the TS flash to do the timing retard so you won't need the e-manage to that for you.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
zimbo

350Now, I'd forgotten about the injector scaling feature. Has the coil burnout problem been solved?

I'm also considering adding a J&S box for pre-detonation timing pull as the ultimate safeguard.

--Steve
Old 07-28-2004, 04:04 PM
350Now

Originally posted by zimbo
350Now, I'd forgotten about the injector scaling feature. Has the coil burnout problem been solved?

I'm also considering adding a J&S box for pre-detonation timing pull as the ultimate safeguard.

--Steve
Steve,

Some say you can prevent coil burnout with the ignition harness + rectifier diodes. I haven't personally had the chance to put my harness on yet. It's sitting at home. But if you were going to get TS to flash to 380cc they can also do timing retards. Then use e-manage to scale 380cc to 440cc and as an added margin of safety use the J&S to pull more timing if it detects pinging via factory knock sensors.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2004, 04:15 PM
greddy4777

steve-
good luck with the turbo's...looking fwd to hearing about ur experinces
Old 07-28-2004, 04:29 PM
zimbo

How about this:

- Sell PE 380 injectors (anyone?)
- Use existing RC440 injectors and harness
- Use eManage for A/F and injector scaling, not timing
- Use Profec to control boost and log (works with AEM O2?)
- Use J&S box for timing
- Add consensus best BOV
- No TS reflash needed!

Thus, I save money on reflash, make a bit of money on injectors, have ability to do A/F and timing tuning on my own, have luxury of pulling timing if any predetonation occurs.

--Steve
Old 07-28-2004, 04:44 PM
G3po

Default BOV

If you don't like extra noise under normal driving get a two stage BOV. The APS kit comes with one. First tage acts as a bypass and second stage vents into the atmosphere.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:03 PM
etx

I've been using the ignition harness with the emanage for 6k miles now. Search the FI forum for the schematic I drew up.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:17 PM
350Now

Also since your e-manage will most likely be blank you will need some tuning to set up your fuel maps. Might require some dyno time for tuning.

Last edited by 350Now; 07-28-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:20 PM
APS
Banned

Default Re: Bought PE TT kit... now what?! (LONG)

APS - Expensive but worth it. Looks like it will be a great kit but I think the reality is that IMO it will be a long time before there is a tuning map that will work for my specific car and my fuel (93 octane). The inability to tune this kit myself is just about the only drawback.

[/B]
Hey Steve thanks for you kind words regarding the APS TT system though I felt a need to clarify one point............there will be maps available to suit 93/94 octane fuel from APS dealers to suit the APS TT system.

And I hope you are happy with your choice of the PE system.........it does look like a nice package.........also just Keep in mind when it comes to tuning the TT engine one WRONG key stroke can be the difference between a big grin and tears.

It's my belief now (and after chatting to many forum members by pm) that many engines may have been damaged from over enthusiastic owner tuning

Engine tuning may best be left to an experienced 350 Z tuner.............have fun.

Thanks

Peter
Old 07-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Morris

zimbo, i pm'd you about your Vortech a couple of weeks ago. please check pms again.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Morris

zimbo, your inbox is full. hopefully, you still have my previous pm. i will try to pm you again later.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:33 PM
zimbo

APS, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I would surmise that 90% of the blown motors we've read about on these pages are not owner tuned.

Morris, I just replied to your earlier PM. Sorry about that.

--Steve
Old 07-28-2004, 06:58 PM
slay2k

The TS reflash is quick, painless and very precise. Your A/F will be near-perfect, so don't sweat it. Reflash for 8.5 and run 8 daily, you'll be fine.

Good choice on the turbo kit. Top notch.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:01 PM
zimbo

Forgive my TT naivete, but suppose I just wanted to run 8.5psi all the time. Is there a way to do so w/o having to buy an electronic boost controller?

--Steve
Old 07-28-2004, 07:48 PM
APS
Banned

APS, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I would surmise that 90% of the blown motors we've read about on these pages are not owner tuned.

Morris, I just replied to your earlier PM. Sorry about that.

--Steve
Steve do a little more research and I think you will find a vast majority are owner tuned in some way or another (either owners playing with air/fuel ratio, timing or boost pressures) in any event good luck with install.

Peter
Old 07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
slay2k

Forgive my TT naivete, but suppose I just wanted to run 8.5psi all the time. Is there a way to do so w/o having to buy an electronic boost controller?

--Steve
Yeah, get a cheap ($100) boost controller, lock it, and keep it under the hood.