Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ENGINE UPDATE 4 - Finished taking apart... some pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:10 PM
AmyCroft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinning Question

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
What kind of experience did you have with the VQ30?
Turbo-Maxima, all:

Could you describe the process of Pinning..

Locations in VQ sleeve..

Next question would pinning be required in a Steel Liner Sleve upgrade? Ala AEBS

Also Any words of wisdom for the closed block modifications?

Cheers Amy -
Old 09-01-2004, 02:31 AM
Mar3oob

Turbo-maxima: I have enough working knowledge of the VQ to know its major shortfalls at least. Having worked with turbo maximas as well as other vq powered projects helped a lot.

AmyCroft: There are several methods of supporting open deck type liners. Hondas people have used a "Block Guard", basically an aluminium piece that goes around the liners and has holes for the water to move between the block and head. Others have used studs (pinning), usually 5, evenly spaced around the liner to support it. I have started looking at older magazines for a picture of this as I recall the Option 350Z had them and I have pictures of that engine that clearly show the studs.

The AEBS or any other liners that replace the original ones usually convert the open deck to a closed deck design so no it would not require pinning.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:21 AM
dynamic6er

Here's a link for pinning/posting.

Honda Pinning/posting
Old 09-01-2004, 08:38 AM
IceY2K1Max

I just noticed the VQ35 has oil squirters like the SR20DET(not SR20DE) does....nice.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Thank You

Originally posted by Mar3oob
Turbo-maxima: I have enough working knowledge of the VQ to know its major shortfalls at least. Having worked with turbo maximas as well as other vq powered projects helped a lot.

AmyCroft: There are several methods of supporting open deck type liners. Hondas people have used a "Block Guard", basically an aluminium piece that goes around the liners and has holes for the water to move between the block and head. Others have used studs (pinning), usually 5, evenly spaced around the liner to support it. I have started looking at older magazines for a picture of this as I recall the Option 350Z had them and I have pictures of that engine that clearly show the studs.

The AEBS or any other liners that replace the original ones usually convert the open deck to a closed deck design so no it would not require pinning.
Thank You - Just the information we required..

The link to the Honda Pinning was helpful.. dynamic6er..

Just a anti chatter for the Sleeves.. A low cost soulution.. for just adding Forged rod's and Pistons.. Observation in VQ - three minimum - four or five better... per cylinder..
A big time Sleeve Job and
closing the deck would not require - pinning understood.

Thanks Again
Old 09-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Mar3oob

Dynamic6er: Useful link, but not what I meant. This process supports the sleeves by means of a stud placed horizontaly, what I meant was studs vertically placed between the liner and the block! The go down the length of the sleeve.

Ice: Yes the VQ35 does have oil squirters. So did the VQ30DET We tap those onto the Maxima VQ30 all the time for turbo installs.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:03 PM
AmyCroft

Default Stud placed Down the Sleeve..

Originally posted by Mar3oob
Dynamic6er: Useful link, but not what I meant. This process supports the sleeves by means of a stud placed horizontaly, what I meant was studs vertically placed between the liner and the block! The go down the length of the sleeve.

Ice: Yes the VQ35 does have oil squirters. So did the VQ30DET We tap those onto the Maxima VQ30 all the time for turbo installs.
Interesting concept.. Rather than the few points of the Honda style pinning..
add studs down between Block and Sleeve at four or five points the sleeve will be better supported..

If you have Specifications or a few pictures.. That would be priceless..

P.S. I have a 1996 Maxima with 185,500 miles.. Dealer maintained.. and is fine for a day to day driver.. But..

How do you guys hop them up?

Amy