Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

467rwhp - 451 torque - smoooooooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 01:57 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another bit of info, you guys might think im crazy... but I have never once had the spark plugs out of this engine. They are original stock ones that came with the car.. and they now have 26,500 miles on them. I have been boosted since 18,000 miles.

Tommarow I am gonna swap out for a set of one heat range cooler to give me a little more safty margin.

-Charles
Old 09-04-2004, 02:41 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!!
Old 09-04-2004, 09:29 AM
350Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.. amazing dyno.. the graph is so smooth...
Old 09-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Damn Charles....yesterday on the phone, you were like "I'll be happy if I get just get the 430hp numbers I got with the eManage"...hehe..looks like you blew those numbers away.

very nice....but why is it kinda lean until around 3500rpm....this car is buildilng so much trq at 3000rpm, that I'd try to get that area a bit richer....a bit sooner....

That's the only constructive comments I have! Sweet numbers..and a very smooth graph.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:05 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gq: when the turbos are hitting hard like that the wideband in the tailpipe gets a somewhat lagged signal. The wideband in my car and datalogging shows a 12.5:1 A/F the second I have 1.5 psi boost.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

ok cool. Now please go put that new motor in there. Even with perfect tune, something is going to snap. That is a nutty amount of power on the stock rods. I'd be concerned about damaging the block or turbos if some metal starts flying around in there.

The 18G's are good for 700whp, and a nice relatively linear power curve. If you go 20G, I imagine turbo lag will increase, and it wont be as fun to drive in the power RPM..ala Supra. And we know what you did to those power Supra's...dont we Charles.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:37 PM
turbo-maxima

I would see what you could do to test how tough the stock long block is so others can see how far they can take their stock engine.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Hey turbo-max....ya wanna chip in when he destorys $2000 worth of turbos, and his block? Phunk...are you feeling especially charitable these days?

One other point: It's really not important how much power a motor will produce before it breaks. Hitting a dyno number is one thing...but longevity is another. For instance, I imagine someone could rattle off a 500whp stock block dyno run, but that doen't mean it's safe for the street and everyday use.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 09-04-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:30 PM
basam350z

I gotta make it down to Aurora to check that bad boy out! When is the next Chicago Meet?

Man, the RPMs go up faster than my 350z on Need for Speed. hehe
Old 09-05-2004, 03:45 AM
spazpilot

phunk:

You might know this. I heard that HKS is working on like a FCON EZ or something like that. It will be a plug and play piggyback similar to the emanage but the user will be able to self tune it with a little more options. Is this true or just rummor? Spaz
Old 09-05-2004, 06:17 AM
toykilla

youve got *****... seeing engines go at 380rwhp would keep me from taking it to your level!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:39 AM
turbo-maxima

Originally posted by gq_626
Hey turbo-max....ya wanna chip in when he destorys $2000 worth of turbos, and his block? Phunk...are you feeling especially charitable these days?

One other point: It's really not important how much power a motor will produce before it breaks. Hitting a dyno number is one thing...but longevity is another. For instance, I imagine someone could rattle off a 500whp stock block dyno run, but that doen't mean it's safe for the street and everyday use.
I have seen 350z blocks way cheaper than that. Why would he mess up the turbos? He already has a built block, I thought maybe before he puts that one in he might want to test the stock block. I think the headgasket will go before anything else.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Daking350z
Banned

Thats sick #'s man!!!Cant wait to see what the APS tt kit is capable of!!!Suposidly the fuel system it comes with will take you all the way to 600hp before it needs an upgrade..I know of 2 places that have maxed out the efficiency of their TT already one was Greddy and one was PE..Supposidly the APS ones are good for 800hp!!Good luck and as long as you dont detonate I see no problems at that level, APS stated that they found a WIERD timing issue within the stock ECU that they felt caused most failed engines..Its in one of their posts but they would say no more about it BOOST ON DUDE!!!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
I have seen 350z blocks way cheaper than that. Why would he mess up the turbos? He already has a built block, I thought maybe before he puts that one in he might want to test the stock block. I think the headgasket will go before anything else.

$2000 is roughly the price of two turbos and and other minor pieces that break when metal goes flying through the exhuast housing. It usually shatters the turbine blades and everything else in there.

If you throw a rod or shatter a pistons, it could permanently damage the block....that would be another $1500 or so....
Old 09-05-2004, 10:16 AM
basam350z

Not the mention that you could screw up the valves, retainers, and other cylinder head related parts.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:01 AM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Thnaks for the VID
Old 09-05-2004, 02:15 PM
ACP

Awesome Charles!

Shows the stock internals can take alot more then people think, when tuned right.
I know my car is in that HP range.

Soon as it gets cooler here, I will be at they dyno as well.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 PM
AmyCroft

Smile MAF - ECU Servo Feedback Loop

CJM:

How did your experiment go.. Is MAF back in System?
I was thinking. there is One model of 350Z with no VDC, TCS, SLIP or Cruise.. That is the Base Model...

We need more on how the ECU uses MAF Sensor..
( By accident installing the MAF with the Arrow pointing away from the Throttle Body is how got all those strange symptoms - Slip ( sitting ) VDC Error.. ect. Very Rich - Low speed rattle. )

Cheers

Originally posted by phunk
AmyCroft: You got me thinking. Right now my MAF is still in the car just because I havent replaced it with a piece of pipe yet. The FCON is already sending a bogus replacement MAF signal to the stock ECU so that I dont get a check engine light. Perhaps I should bypass this FCON feature and let the ECU see the true MAF voltage and perhaps then these features might work still work?????

Its hard to say really, I need to do some research on how they operate at all in this car. Its really ****ed up what happens actually I never seen anything like it. If I turn on the cruise, then activate it... the engine load goes up (As reported by independant HKS MAP sensor for the EVC) but the car is not accelerating and then a few moment later the entire engine goes THUD THUD THUD until I freak out and turn off the CC... WTF?!?!? I will figure out whats behind all this hear... I just need to figure out the entire thought procress of the CC system - as long as its part of the fly by wire it can possible remain active.... same with the TC and VDC... if these systems are so dependent on keeping the MAF sensor like you say, then maybe the MAF will just have to stay in there.... Not like I care much its not really in the way.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:34 AM
g35tt

phunk what can i say they are awsome numbers congrats on that and i think well a car is well tuned it could make a lot more power than you can even think. congrats again...

jay.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
RedSand

Well I have made up my mind where I am going to get my install done, that is as soon as I can afford to get a turbo kit. Very impressive man, I'm stoked for you to get that built motor in. Can't wait to see the numbers, keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: 467rwhp - 451 torque - smoooooooth