Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:11 AM
foochdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad is a mechanic and been in the business since he was about 16 when he used to build field cars. He is now 57 and has worked up quite a list of friends in ths business that gives us parts at cost and an emmissions guy that checks my gas cap because they need the read out and I pass visual. Just if I get busted I would tell them that I put it on after I was inspected. Never had a problem. So I am not worried at all. And there are so few cops around the places I live and there are so many damn neons with loud *** mufflers that my cars don't draw any more attention than they do. I never get hassled. I just want a reliable turbo.

And as for the for off road use only. My eibach springs said that on the box for my Eclipse. Same with the KYB AGX shocks and struts. Not many people worry about that when they drop their car.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:37 AM
97modman

Originally posted by Evo Hybrid
From reading the past 15 pages, I felt most member who were all in for the single turbo kit didn't realize how hard it is to get emission done in most states for an average Joe. Everyone have a crooked inspector lined up to take the extra cash?? Are you planning taking off the kit when emission is due?? CARB in California is a whole different issue, I'm not even going to get into that.
I been through that problems many years with my last street/race car which incorporated a custom catless full-race turbo system. Beautiful 3 inch downpipe with Tri Y outlet connected to another non resonated 3 inch exhaust system - Cat less.
But guess what?? I can't pass emission and I need to because I still drive the car around town occacionally. With no emission, I get no registration. With no registration, I get no insurance. Then I'm suspended because I have non of the above.
So, yes.... I had to take one of the two choices up top so you can guess which one.
I hope Turbonetic would develope the kit that incorporate cats and good cats, not those couple month fall-a-part POS you can buy aftermarkets. I have not seen one clear picture of the manifold/exhaust/turbo section so I can't say if rooms was an issue.
I wrote this because many of my clients ask me as simple as a bolt on exhaust I sold to them were legal or not all the time. What am I going to say to them about turbonetics single turbo kit for the 350Z?? Is turbonetics going to print a big warning label on the box stating " FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" so they can get away from being sued??

Another note from reading the past 15 pages. NO NISSAN DEALERSHIP will ever sell this kit for their new car bolt on predelivery with WARRANTY ( selling this kit at their parts/performance combined department will be more likely). Emission/catless is one thing, this kit has just about everything the dealership love to void your warranty.

I can probably go on with more questions/reliability problems/kit efficiencies but I'll stop here because Peter@APS got flamed pretty hard by one individual for interfering Turbonetics advertisment.
I'll wait for the first buyer impression thread to see some results.

We will just have to wait and see what Turbonetics has in mind. They have been keeping quiet about alot of things, which i believe it is great. after the negative feedback some people gave the kit.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Steve@Evolution

Guys, I'm not bashing on Turbonetics. I'm just wondering why would a huge company like Turbonetics believe they can sell this kit to the mass public with no ability of having cats. I know a dozen of members on this board will probably buy this kit knowingly the consequences. Are they expecting to sell it like hot cakes to majority of the Z owners out there?? Think about it.

"There is nothing wrong with " off road use only" parts that does not associate with smog. If Greddy TT kit or Vortech kit states buyer are to expect not to pass emission due to eliminating the cats, You think there would be this many people buying it?

Turbonetics are keeping it quite, that's good. But if this kit is already available to the public, displayed at SEMA, and ready to roll out of the facility, shouldn't they come out and introduce their goal and address some of the problems we are discussing? They probably will later because it's SEMA week and my partner already called me confirming there is no cats and doesn't look like there is rooms for it.

Last of all, no one had really brought out the discussion on how overly long runners with no real merge collectors and unequal length can affect turbo spooling, heat, and pressure. Have you guys ever seen the domestic guys running turbo near the real axles using the rear exhaust pipe to propell the turbo?? A real junk yard project which works and cheap but very inefficient.

Last edited by Steve@Evolution; 11-05-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:54 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant say that the talk of not having any cats is even an issue for me. I dont have cats currently nor do I plan on getting them. The good old redneck state of Alabama doesnt require any sort of emissions testing so I could care les if there are no cats with this setup.

Zach
Old 11-05-2004, 09:25 AM
foochdawg

No FI kits except I think 1 SC is carb exempt. I don't see any real worry when people buy the other kits, why would they worry about this one? I know APS it TRYING to get a carb number but doesn't have one.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by foochdawg
No FI kits except I think 1 SC is carb exempt. I don't see any real worry when people buy the other kits, why would they worry about this one? I know APS it TRYING to get a carb number but doesn't have one.
This not about CARB, CARB is for californians.
All the current turbocharger kits and supercharger kits for the Z retains stock cats or cats in general except for this one.
Need the cats to pass smog test.

Last edited by Jeff@Evolution; 11-05-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:27 AM
webcarconnection

My friend toll me some good Info about this kit from Sema, pics soon also
btw about the Cats, a big porcent of Z owners have test pipes anyway!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Steve@Evolution

Originally posted by webcarconnection
btw about the Cats, a big porcent of Z owners have test pipes anyway!
One last post, I'm done posting in here like I'm trying to convince you guys something. Try to read everything more closely, I am merely discussing a known fact about this kit.

Test pipe - people who have test pipes on their car can simply remove the test pipe and switch back onto the cats again for whatever situtation they have.

This kit - Cats were never in the equation. Are you going to remove the the whole turbo kit just put back on the cats?

Turbonetics need to address the cats issue first if they want this to be the next hottest thing for Z that everyone is going to hop on this bandwagen.

Last edited by Steve@Evolution; 11-05-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:18 PM
suse

I pretty much feel the same as Evo Hybrid. I would by this turbo in a second if they come up with a solution for the cats. I just don't understand why they would build a system like this which needs the cats to be removed?? Just don't understand it??? Man I hope they do come up with a solution cause I believe this Turbo can put out great numbers
Old 11-05-2004, 02:53 PM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Evo Hybrid
Test pipe - people who have test pipes on their car can simply remove the test pipe and switch back onto the cats again for whatever situtation they have.

This kit - Cats were never in the equation. Are you going to remove the the whole turbo kit just put back on the cats?

I understand your point I'm only speaking for myself... here in P.R. is very easy pass emission w/o cats... I respect your point of having cats for passing your laws of emmisions, well at least in some states
Old 11-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Lorca@Z1

Just got back from SEMA and had an up close look at this kit. Based on the piping and the dyno chart they had on display I cannot recomend this kit for anyone no matter how much cheaper it is than the other turbo kits. Talk about turbo lag, the dyno chart on the display showed only 200rwhp at 4700rpm yet the sales guy said the throttle response was amazing and "not indicative of the dyno chart". All this and stock headers too? No thanks :-(
Old 11-05-2004, 03:08 PM
foochdawg

ow could that be? The car alone makes more than that doesn't it? How can you add a turbo in there and lose power.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:23 PM
G3po

Default loss

Originally posted by foochdawg
ow could that be? The car alone makes more than that doesn't it? How can you add a turbo in there and lose power.
The circuitous and reduced flow cross-section required to plumb the OEM manis together , up to the single snail and back down to a common exit probalby isn't "helping" NA operation even with the CATs removed. Add a slow spool on top of this and you have very little if any gain below 3k rpm.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:35 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
Just got back from SEMA and had an up close look at this kit. Based on the piping and the dyno chart they had on display I cannot recomend this kit for anyone no matter how much cheaper it is than the other turbo kits. Talk about turbo lag, the dyno chart on the display showed only 200rwhp at 4700rpm yet the sales guy said the throttle response was amazing and "not indicative of the dyno chart". All this and stock headers too? No thanks :-(

pictures??
Old 11-05-2004, 09:16 PM
dansouliere

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
APS TT Kit it is!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:21 PM
S12 driver

Yea, all that exhaust rerouting will create some pretty bad lag. If they would've mounted the turbo right after the header and route the other side to it, it would've been less lag. But both side's exhaust is routed to the front, and then all the way back is not really efficient. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:54 AM
webcarconnection

Ok a APS Fan talking again... I know this kit may have a littlle more lag but is not what you say... the Dyno chart was in one gear (4 or 5) and goes full before 3000 more or less, any Kit in that condition in a dyno run is very posible you may see some lag... you have to be more objetive!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:05 AM
G3po

Default lag

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Ok a APS Fan talking again... I know this kit may have a littlle more lag but is not what you say... the Dyno chart was in one gear (4 or 5) and goes full before 3000 more or less, any Kit in that condition in a dyno run is very posible you may see some lag... you have to be more objetive!
The term "little more lag" is purley subjective.
My classification of this St setup his a
"gas driven SC". The power curve is much more akin to the cent SCs than a TT. It is what it is.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:18 AM
suse

aps it is!! After I double check this
Old 11-06-2004, 10:09 AM
S12 driver

Default Re: lag

Originally posted by G3po
The term "little more lag" is purley subjective.
My classification of this St setup his a
"gas driven SC". The power curve is much more akin to the cent SCs than a TT. It is what it is.
With a centrifugal SC when you're at high rpm, the boost is instant. But with a turbo, no matter what rpm you're at, you will still experience turbo lag.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos