Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:19 AM
AParshall04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was only bashing him from the point that he has reiterated the same statement in different words 6 times. The majority of the people on this forum can understand a simple concept when it's said once, so it is disrespectful because he is treating us like 5 year olds. And what does "the most first hand stand knowledge" mean in english?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:26 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by G3po
This is easier to read , sorry for the mis-post

97mod dude ,memory does not serve you well . TN has "mandated" removal of the CATs. Ho can you be "pre-CAT when they no longer exists?

If TN they finds a way to replace them back into their "exact OEM location" , (would at least require custom exhaust manifiolds (can't use the OEM ones as they do right now), then they could apply for a CARB EO. Passing is a whole other story .

However; given the circuitous path which must be taken by the exhuast gas before it can ever reach the CATs. Ever wonder why the OEM places a pre-cat so damn close ot the manifold, 'cause the CATS need very a very high EGT to function.
The lower the heat seen by the CATs the less effective the Catalyt reaction

Basicially Peter from APS the most first hand stand knowlege with Turbo system design than any or the "Monday night quarterbacks" applying to this thread.

So, I really wish you'd stop giving him a bunch of crap, he is only discussing the technology and not bashing TN in any fashion.
No one here is questioning his knowledge of turbo design. Or the issues involved with making a CARB legal system. The only question that I have is how you can view it as professional or ethical from a business standpoint to post how he has in this thread. Discussing technology is one thing. Continuosly pointing to your own product in a thread about a competitors is another. The issue of the CARB EO from a singlte turbo stand point has already been beat to death. Furthermore if discussing the CARB EO current technology is so important to him why not start a thread on THAT topic.

<----Beats Dead Horse... READ THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD...DOES IT SAY "CARB EO DISCUSSION ABOUT SINGLE TURBOS" NO. THIS THREAD IS FOR INFO ON THE TURBONETICS KIT. THE ISSUE OF CARB LEGALITY HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP DISCUSSED AND ANSWERED.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:30 AM
G3po

Default First hand knowledge

Originally posted by AParshall04
I was only bashing him from the point that he has reiterated the same statement in different words 6 times. The majority of the people on this forum can understand a simple concept when it's said once, so it is disrespectful because he is treating us like 5 year olds. And what does "the most first hand stand knowledge" mean in english?
Peter ha been involved with turbo ssytem designs with APS for many years. Most of the posters cna't say the same thing. For exmaple I have >20 year as an engineer and am the CTO of a high tech company (so I do know something about technology) ;however, I don't have the first hand knowledge that Peter does on this subject. So I bow to his input.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
G3po

Default Response

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
No one here is questioning his knowledge of turbo design. Or the issues involved with making a CARB legal system. The only question that I have is how you can view it as professional or ethical from a business standpoint to post how he has in this thread. Discussing technology is one thing. Continuosly pointing to your own product in a thread about a competitors is another. The issue of the CARB EO from a singlte turbo stand point has already been beat to death. Furthermore if discussing the CARB EO current technology is so important to him why not start a thread on THAT topic.

<----Beats Dead Horse... READ THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD...DOES IT SAY "CARB EO DISCUSSION ABOUT SINGLE TURBOS" NO. THIS THREAD IS FOR INFO ON THE TURBONETICS KIT. THE ISSUE OF CARB LEGALITY HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP DISCUSSED AND ANSWERED.
Sure buddy , no need to yell. It a discusssion.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: First hand knowledge

Peter ha been involved with turbo ssytem designs with APS for many years. Most of the posters cna't say the same thing. For exmaple I have >20 year as an engineer and am the CTO of a high tech company (so I do know something about technology) ;however, I don't have the first hand knowledge that Peter does on this subject. So I bow to his input.
So because he is infinitely more knowledgable then me on building turbo systems and because you have 20 years experience in a high tech company I should bow down and dismiss poor business ethics and a lack of professionalism/professional courtesy?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:37 AM
g356gear

Exactly. Turbonetics has been doing this for 20 years. The designer if this kit Jahme has been at it just as long and has produced countless turbo kits as the former FMax owner.
This really concerns me that there is involvement by an FMAX individual. I have seen Honda kits from FMAX and they were BRUTAL. I hope turbonetics has other engineers overseeing the design,fitment, etc. of this kit.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Kuzmeista

enough bickering and more on the kit please?!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by g356gear
This really concerns me that there is involvement by an FMAX individual. I have seen Honda kits from FMAX and they were BRUTAL. I hope turbonetics has other engineers overseeing the design,fitment, etc. of this kit.
FMax used to make some pretty kick @ss nissan kits so I'm not sure about Honda. The owner of Fmax was the only one to go to Turbonetics.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:41 AM
G3po

Default Re: Re: First hand knowledge

So because he is infinitely more knowledgable then me on building turbo systems and because you have 20 years experience in a high tech company I should bow down and dismiss poor business ethics and a lack of professionalism/professional courtesy?
No , I just don't get the same read on Peter's intentions as you.
I agree to dis-agree.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:48 AM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: Re: Re: First hand knowledge

No , I just don't get the same read on Peter's intentions as you.
I agree to dis-agree.
agreed.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
97modman

This is easier to read , sorry for the mis-post

97mod dude ,memory does not serve you well . TN has "mandated" removal of the CATs. Ho can you be "pre-CAT when they no longer exists?

If TN they finds a way to replace them back into their "exact OEM location" , (would at least require custom exhaust manifiolds (can't use the OEM ones as they do right now), then they could apply for a CARB EO. Passing is a whole other story .

However; given the circuitous path which must be taken by the exhuast gas before it can ever reach the CATs. Ever wonder why the OEM places a pre-cat so damn close ot the manifold, 'cause the CATS need very a very high EGT to function.
The lower the heat seen by the CATs the less effective the Catalyt reaction

Basicially Peter from APS the most first hand stand knowlege with Turbo system design than any or the "Monday night quarterbacks" applying to this thread.

So, I really wish you'd stop giving him a bunch of crap, he is only discussing the technology and not bashing TN in any fashion

First of all..i know Turbonetics will be utilizing no cats..this was known when this discussion first started..back in august..So my memory does serve me right.. i did not write" uuhhh turbonetics is going to get a CARB without cats" you would have to be a complete idiot to think that a car can pass emissions like that...

I was defending Turbonetics because APS believes it is impossible to change configuration for CARB approval.
Now What we were disscussing is that Turbonetics is going to go for a CARB EO# so this must mean THEY MUST HAVE THE CATS IN POSITION IF THEY ARE EVEN GOING TO ATTEMPT GOING FOR THE CERT.. that should ring alot of bells..

PLEASE READ ALL POST BEFORE COMENTING..THANK YOU

P.S. Not a Monday football guy..I watch all the Sunday games

Last edited by 97modman; 10-26-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:13 PM
97modman

enough bickering and more on the kit please?!

thank you..one for me..
Old 10-26-2004, 02:47 PM
g356gear

Any final price yet??? I assume they should have one set for SEMA. Still considering a tuner version??
Old 10-26-2004, 02:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by g356gear
Any final price yet??? I assume they should have one set for SEMA. Still considering a tuner version??
Its looking MSRP of $5k is what its going to be. Of course street price will be lower. They are still considering the Tuner kit. Nothing final on that. I'm gonna call Brad tomorrow to get some updates...
Old 10-27-2004, 04:20 AM
foochdawg

Now I'm interested and I am not even picking up my Z until April/May. I have already put together a good list of things I want to get for this car and this one might have just hit the top of the list. The only thing I want to know is if this kit is reliable. I want MORE power but not 500 hp lol. I am looking between 350 and 400 to the wheels and I would be completely satisfied. And if this kit is under $5k and reliable. This is a DEFINATE for me.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:04 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by foochdawg
Now I'm interested and I am not even picking up my Z until April/May. I have already put together a good list of things I want to get for this car and this one might have just hit the top of the list. The only thing I want to know is if this kit is reliable. I want MORE power but not 500 hp lol. I am looking between 350 and 400 to the wheels and I would be completely satisfied. And if this kit is under $5k and reliable. This is a DEFINATE for me.
Kit should be making around 385 to the wheels in final out of the box version. Its actually going to be a dealer sold option for some dealers in the NY area...
Old 10-27-2004, 06:17 AM
foochdawg

Is that a fact? And are these reputable dealers? Or someone just trying to catch a kids eyes with turbo in their ad? I mean does it uphold the original warranty with the Turbo?

I can't tune much at all because of the lack of dynos around where I live and shops. So I haven't really done it. I think I could install this kit. It doesn't look any more difficult than the RIPP SDS(Supercharger Drive System made up of custom across engine drive shaft to a Vortech centrifugal supercharger) which I installed myself(dad is a mechanic and I am a car nut). We are always doing something car related and he has over 50 years experience with cars and has been my teacher for the passed 8 years. So is this bolt up and go or is there still gonna be some final little tweeks that need to be done as far as A/F and timing?

The physical install part I can do...the tuning I won't attempt. I will learn, but not trying the first time by myself on trial and error on a new $36,000 car lol.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:26 AM
MIAPLAYA

Is that a fact? And are these reputable dealers? Or someone just trying to catch a kids eyes with turbo in their ad? I mean does it uphold the original warranty with the Turbo?

I can't tune much at all because of the lack of dynos around where I live and shops. So I haven't really done it. I think I could install this kit. It doesn't look any more difficult than the RIPP SDS(Supercharger Drive System made up of custom across engine drive shaft to a Vortech centrifugal supercharger) which I installed myself(dad is a mechanic and I am a car nut). We are always doing something car related and he has over 50 years experience with cars and has been my teacher for the passed 8 years. So is this bolt up and go or is there still gonna be some final little tweeks that need to be done as far as A/F and timing?

The physical install part I can do...the tuning I won't attempt. I will learn, but not trying the first time by myself on trial and error on a new $36,000 car lol.
I'm not familiar with the exact details but yes I believe they are providing some form of warranty still. Its actually a chain of about 3-4 dealers that are doing it. As for the tuning you shouldn't have to re-tune anything. Its all done via an ECU reflash specifically designed for this kit. Install time for an average mecahinc is supposed to be about 10 hours. It is essentially a bolt up and go kit. You will need tp ship your ECU to Technosquare (Same Day delivery) where they will flash it and same day it back to you. All the timing is pulled via the new ECU map. Fuel upgrade consist of drop in 380 CC injectors.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:35 AM
foochdawg

The pump will be able to hold up to the higher demand for fuel? Would it be arecommended to get a bigger pump? Like a Walboro 255? I still have one of those in the garage from the eclipse supercharger install.

And this ECU flash, is this for any year car? I read somewhere that the people that were getting ECU flashes to have there mods take effect would only work for the 2003 ECUs because of something that changed for the 2004+ ECUs.

I am not COMPLETELY familiar with the tests that this ECU does because I don't have the car yet and haven't had any wrench time; but, I am under the impression that most newer cars with a cat for each bank have an O2 in front of each cat and one behind. They get a signal before and after they go into the cat. They use those reading to determine if the cats are working correctly. Now since this is removing both sides cats, where are the O2s placed? And are there any codes that are thrown because of this? It was very touchy with the Eclipse to get it to not throw codes because the ECU was so picky about the values read by the O2s.

I may be completely off base though, maybe the exhaust system is set up completely different on this car with less O2s or a combined cat at the "Y" and not one for each bank. I really am not sure.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:46 AM
MIAPLAYA

The pump will be able to hold up to the higher demand for fuel? Would it be arecommended to get a bigger pump? Like a Walboro 255? I still have one of those in the garage from the eclipse supercharger install.

And this ECU flash, is this for any year car? I read somewhere that the people that were getting ECU flashes to have there mods take effect would only work for the 2003 ECUs because of something that changed for the 2004+ ECUs.

I am not COMPLETELY familiar with the tests that this ECU does because I don't have the car yet and haven't had any wrench time; but, I am under the impression that most newer cars with a cat for each bank have an O2 in front of each cat and one behind. They get a signal before and after they go into the cat. They use those reading to determine if the cats are working correctly. Now since this is removing both sides cats, where are the O2s placed? And are there any codes that are thrown because of this? It was very touchy with the Eclipse to get it to not throw codes because the ECU was so picky about the values read by the O2s.

I may be completely off base though, maybe the exhaust system is set up completely different on this car with less O2s or a combined cat at the "Y" and not one for each bank. I really am not sure.
The pump should hold fine for 380 CC injectors but you could go to a bigger one if you wanted. The ECU reflash is specific to each ECU as they are coded to each motor. It should be for any car year. I believe Tadashi has fully cracked the 04 model ECU but I would need to verify this with Brad from Turbonetics. As for O2 codes it seems this car is a bit more resilient to throwing codes then others. In my last car (Spec V) It would throw a code if you coughed wrong in the direction of the O2. People have replaced cats with test pipes on this car and not thrown a code. Besides I'm sure Tadashi would make sure that code doesn't appear. I do not unfortunately have pics of the piping. The day I went up to see/drive it it was already on the car and I did not want to make them put it in a lift just so I could get pics. Turbonetics should have a lot more info out shortly. The official release time is SEMA (next week).

PS: Turbonetics was able to tune to 11.5:1 A/F ratio all the way to redline.

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 10-27-2004 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos