Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 04:42 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c

I wonder how the motor will hold up after a few months/years when only one side (turbo side) is working a lot harder?
One side? the exhaust is merged before flowing to the Turbo. Hence the whole reason the cats were removed.. the stock headers are in place.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:25 AM
ColecatZ

Originally posted by flynnibus
One side? the exhaust is merged before flowing to the Turbo. Hence the whole reason the cats were removed.. the stock headers are in place.
Yeah, I wondered what he might be reffering to as well. I understood it as you have posted, and assumed he may be concidering the difference in backpressure per cylinder bank into the mix.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:28 AM
MIAPLAYA

Thanks Zland your posts are always neutral

LOL you should of seen MIA in the AVALON FOR SALE THREAD.. MIA I hope your getting paid to hang on TURBONETICS NUTS, like I stated in my other thread RELAX DUDE, your going to pop a vain in your head?

I wonder how the motor will hold up after a few months/years when only one side (turbo side) is working a lot harder? TT ALL THE WAY!! Quicker response IMO smooth power all the way and you can run a DUAL EXHAUST! ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR 3 months to pass I CAN ALREADY SEE IT NOW
Good job champ...way to show how truly clueless you are.... Do you work for NASA?

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 11-17-2004 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:45 AM
alpine

Thanks Zland your posts are always neutral
I wonder how the motor will hold up after a few months/years when only one side (turbo side) is working a lot harder? TT ALL THE WAY!! Quicker response IMO smooth power all the way and you can run a DUAL EXHAUST! ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR 3 months to pass I CAN ALREADY SEE IT NOW
This is one of those "common understandings" that our floating around out there both in the real world and on the internet.

Common sense seems to indicate that this would be less than ideal to force "one side" of the motor to operate differently.

Also I mentioned this before, I am not certain of the TurboNetics setup, so I do not know if this even applies to this kit.

I just don't know enough personally to state this is a fact, and I had looked previously for information on single vs twin turbo applications and didn't find solid information.

there was lots of opinion, but without backup to prove or disprove them, it was useless to me.

Yes quicker response, and dual exhaust, are positive notes about TT and part of the reason I chose TT. I personally "felt" better about a TT solution as it is more commonly used, and almost always used in high HP street solutions.

I do believe that a built motor wouldn't be affected as much as a "standard" motor, so perhaps in those cases single turbos do not impact the motor as negatively, because there are many race setups out ther with single turbos, again that scenario does not apply to me, and I would guess not most of us.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

No one side of the motor operates any differently than the other. Exhaust gas is merged and then fed into the turbo from both sides of the motor...

Old 11-17-2004, 06:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Old 11-17-2004, 07:05 AM
alpine

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
im still buying the PE kit
I don't know if this counts for anything, but I considered that kit myself.

Something that detered me from that kit was the lack of prescense in the us.

How many kits are here? Have you seen one in action here? Is there enough information openly on it?

I didn't see enough to comfort me. I haven't heard "wonderfull" things about it either, although that may be due to the circles I am in Vs. you/others.

One atttraction to the kit for some is plain and simple it's "JDM" so it must be good, concept.

As I am not a "import nut" that isn't enough to draw me to it.

If you have any solid information on that kit, it'd be good to provide it in a thread on this board.

I'd love to see it in action myself.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:08 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by alpine

How many kits are here? Have you seen one in action here? Is there enough information openly on it?

I didn't see enough to comfort me. I haven't heard "wonderfull" things about it either, although that may be due to the circles I am in Vs. you/others.

One atttraction to the kit for some is plain and simple it's "JDM" so it must be good, concept.

If you have any solid information on that kit, it'd be good to provide it in a thread on this board.

Chebosto and gurgen both have that kit installed and running.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:08 AM
alpine

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
[B]No one side of the motor operates any differently than the other. Exhaust gas is merged and then fed into the turbo from both sides of the motor... [img]

Your links are not working properly, check those.

Also, although the exhaust is joined, does this make it "equal" ?

Somethin that was brought to my attention at some time or the other is that the plumbing does not allow for "ideal" or "equal" air volume/flow between all points, or from specific "point to point".

What impact this has, has got to be answered by engineers, and not "internet engineers" as some are referred to as.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Try right clicking on picture and choose show picture. Mine was acting weird too.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

Or go here..

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...ulation_page=Y
Old 11-17-2004, 07:30 AM
alpine

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Chebosto and gurgen both have that kit installed and running.
Any chance of getting the info in here? Or at least links to their info?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:36 AM
MIAPLAYA

Any chance of getting the info in here? Or at least links to their info?
Well I know they both had extensive threads when they installed their kits but I can't find them .NOt sure if they have been deleted. I don't know either of them personally but I do know they both live in the LA area...
Old 11-17-2004, 07:59 AM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by ColecatZ
Yeah, I wondered what he might be reffering to as well. I understood it as you have posted, and assumed he may be concidering the difference in backpressure per cylinder bank into the mix.

DING DING DING!!! Yes, that's my question! Is the length of both sides equally and so that the flow of the exhaust gases are equally and not one side of the motor is overworking with backpressure and resulting ing loss of horsepower. You know MIA, because of you I probably wont buy this kit! So if your a spokes person for TURBONETICS you sure are messing up their reputation more than what it really is. I am highly interested in the kit (The design that is) Im not to fond of their turbocharger due to many horror stories I have heard. I am sure swapping the the the turbocharge say with ball bearing HKS would be a very nice system! that's what I am considering doing... When I posted in my last thread about HONDA members having lots of problems, its because their turbo's GO BAD! Doesn't mean their design is crap? IM just asking a few questions like everyone else but you always have to come back with STUPID remarks like...

"way to show how truly clueless you are.... Do you work for NASA?"

What kind of stupid $hit is that?

everyone else understood what I was saying and are still wondering about my question. But either you got a SMOKING DEAL on this turbokit and that's why you are defending it like its your life? But I value you being one of the first Guniue Pigs and trying this for everyone... And if you can KINDLY ANSWER MY QUESTION as Im sure you talk to TURBONETICS EVERYDAY!

Even Alpine is trying to do his research himself because WE don't know, and like Alpine said...

"Common sense seems to indicate that this would be less than ideal to force "one side" of the motor to operate differently."

This is key! Our car is not an inline 6 like the SUPRA where a single turbocharger is ideal for the car.. And here is my question again....

How even is the exhaust flow from one side of the motor to the turbocharger, would you say they are equally?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i have indeed seen several in action, and i saw it in various states of fabrication at technosquare. gurgen is the only complaint ive heard, and the general consensus is that it wasnt the turbo kit. although the welded manifolds are a turn off, i hear they are switching to cast, and they do warranty them should they break.

To be honest im a JDM *****, but the Intercooler is from ARC a company with incredible product reputation, and from what i know about turbos the PE ones seem to be very nice.

to me i feel the APS and PE kits are about equal quality (i dislike the greddy) and i can get the PE kit cheaper then APS.

how long was the install on the APS kit?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

DING DING DING!!! Yes, that's my question! Is the length of both sides equally and so that the flow of the exhaust gases are equally and not one side of the motor is overworking with backpressure and resulting ing loss of horsepower. You know MIA, because of you I probably wont buy this kit! So if your a spokes person for TURBONETICS you sure are messing up their reputation more than what it really is. I am highly interested in the kit (The design that is) Im not to fond of their turbocharger due to many horror stories I have heard. I am sure swapping the the the turbocharge say with ball bearing HKS would be a very nice system! that's what I am considering doing... When I posted in my last thread about HONDA members having lots of problems, its because their turbo's GO BAD! Doesn't mean their design is crap? IM just asking a few questions like everyone else but you always have to come back with STUPID remarks like...

"way to show how truly clueless you are.... Do you work for NASA?"

What kind of stupid $hit is that?

everyone else understood what I was saying and are still wondering about my question. But either you got a SMOKING DEAL on this turbokit and that's why you are defending it like its your life? But I value you being one of the first Guniue Pigs and trying this for everyone... And if you can KINDLY ANSWER MY QUESTION as Im sure you talk to TURBONETICS EVERYDAY!

Even Alpine is trying to do his research himself because WE don't know, and like Alpine said...

"Common sense seems to indicate that this would be less than ideal to force "one side" of the motor to operate differently."

This is key! Our car is not an inline 6 like the SUPRA where a single turbocharger is ideal for the car.. And here is my question again....

How even is the exhaust flow from one side of the motor to the turbocharger, would you say they are equally?

Thanks!

No I am not the "spokesperson" for Turbonetics. And if you are trying to swing opinion your way that you are just "researching" this kit then you have got to be crazy...Lets look at your last post...

I wonder how the motor will hold up after a few months/years when only one side (turbo side) is working a lot harder? TT ALL THE WAY!! Quicker response IMO smooth power all the way and you can run a DUAL EXHAUST! ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR 3 months to pass I CAN ALREADY SEE IT NOW ...
How the hell do you consider that statement research? Its clear that you are pro-TT and had no intention of doing anything other then bashing something you don't understand. What was that?
Furthermore how many Turbonetics turbos have YOU owned. How many times have YOU had reliability issues with one. I have PERSONAL experience with a Turbonetics unit and have not had a problem. You bring up issues from a completely different application and assume that it applies to this. Did YOU have a Turbonetics system on your Civic? It doesn't matter what deal I did or DID NOT get on a Turbonetics kit. I'm just tired of people bashing something with no data other then their "theory" of what is happening. If you REALLY wanted to do some research on this you would do exactly as I did and contact Turbonetics. Thats all I did. I don't work for them, I don't live anywhere near them but I was interested and what they had to say so I took my own time out and drove 3 hours away to look at what they had to offer. Thats doing research. You're simply trying to instigate a confrontation with me and unfortunately I have let you win. So to be the more mature person here I'll do my best to disregard your flames of something you obviously don't begin to have an understanding about and try to answer legitimate questions, if you post any that is.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Jismo
Banned

well said
Old 11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
webcarconnection

One more thing... 84-88 300ZX turbo have a V6 on a single turbo set up... very similar that this set up... I dare to say that there is a equal exhaust flow to the turbo, and I know Turbonetics is not doing experimental bussiness with this kit... Nissan already did it with success!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:40 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Common sense seems to indicate that this would be less than ideal to force "one side" of the motor to operate differently.
This has nothing to do with why one builds a single turbo vs twin. While the plumbing of a single on a V motor vs inline is part of the problem, the 'problem' as mentioned is not part of it.

I just don't know enough personally to state this is a fact, and I had looked previously for information on single vs twin turbo applications and didn't find solid information.

there was lots of opinion, but without backup to prove or disprove them, it was useless to me.

Yes quicker response, and dual exhaust, are positive notes about TT and part of the reason I chose TT. I personally "felt" better about a TT solution as it is more commonly used, and almost always used in high HP street solutions.
Its quite simple actually.. smaller turbos will spool up faster then a bigger turbo. So the main reasoning behind TT is use smaller turbos together, which may operate in a better part of the efficency range of the compressor, then one larger turbo which will take longer to spool (lag), and while it may make crazy power, you may not be operating in the efficency range of the compressor most of the time. Sizing of the turbo to the motor is important to make sure you are getting the most out of it.

The other half is typically space and plumbing. Fitting a large turbo (look in the photos how big the Turbokentics Turbo is) is often harder then the smaller turbos, plus getting all the plumbing to fit and work well.

The pros to a single turbo are often much higher output from a large turbo, cost (less bits), but with the negatives of possibly less efficency (by sizing too large), possible size or plumbing issues depending on the car.

None of these are 'applies to every kit', these are the design decisions that people have to deal with when using single vs twin.

Supras are TT, but are often swapped for a larger single turbo when looking for max high end power. The negative is the huge lag people associate with them.

In the 350z, TT is pretty much the design most have gone for because of the lack of space in the 350z's engine bay, the V-6 design, and matching smaller turbos for faster spool up. Obviously Turbokentics solution for the V-6, size, and plumbing is the most controversal part of the kit.

It boils down to.. are the compromises made to have this work, worth the gains to you?

The negatives are the lag, lack of cats, and incompatibility with most existing exhausts. The pros are easier install and cost. Its a personal decision if these things balence out for you or not.

And for the CARB thing.. I think people's words are being mis-interpreted.. If they are working on a CARB solution for next year (which has been quoted).. I'm sure they will, but it will not be on this kit. Keywords are 'carb for THIS kit'. I think Brad just means they will look to address a CARB solution next year. Keywords 'a solution'.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by flynnibus
This has nothing to do with why one builds a single turbo vs twin. While the plumbing of a single on a V motor vs inline is part of the problem, the 'problem' as mentioned is not part of it.

Its quite simple actually.. smaller turbos will spool up faster then a bigger turbo. So the main reasoning behind TT is use smaller turbos together, which may operate in a better part of the efficency range of the compressor, then one larger turbo which will take longer to spool (lag), and while it may make crazy power, you may not be operating in the efficency range of the compressor most of the time. Sizing of the turbo to the motor is important to make sure you are getting the most out of it.

The other half is typically space and plumbing. Fitting a large turbo (look in the photos how big the Turbokentics Turbo is) is often harder then the smaller turbos, plus getting all the plumbing to fit and work well.

The pros to a single turbo are often much higher output from a large turbo, cost (less bits), but with the negatives of possibly less efficency (by sizing too large), possible size or plumbing issues depending on the car.

None of these are 'applies to every kit', these are the design decisions that people have to deal with when using single vs twin.

Supras are TT, but are often swapped for a larger single turbo when looking for max high end power. The negative is the huge lag people associate with them.

In the 350z, TT is pretty much the design most have gone for because of the lack of space in the 350z's engine bay, the V-6 design, and matching smaller turbos for faster spool up. Obviously Turbokentics solution for the V-6, size, and plumbing is the most controversal part of the kit.

It boils down to.. are the compromises made to have this work, worth the gains to you?

The negatives are the lag, lack of cats, and incompatibility with most existing exhausts. The pros are easier install and cost. Its a personal decision if these things balence out for you or not.

And for the CARB thing.. I think people's words are being mis-interpreted.. If they are working on a CARB solution for next year (which has been quoted).. I'm sure they will, but it will not be on this kit. Keywords are 'carb for THIS kit'. I think Brad just means they will look to address a CARB solution next year. Keywords 'a solution'.
I agree with most of what you said. One note...this kit is compatible with every non-true dual exhaust. The only Trued duals are Greddy, Injen, Borla, DC, and Ultimate Racing. There are VERY many y pipe exhaust options available (ie: JIC, Apexi, Fujitsobo, RSR, MagnaFlow, Tanabe, 5Zigen, TopSecret Nismo (rear part of it), Pro-1, etc

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos