Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

This deserves it's own thread: Stock rods vs. Pauter Forged Rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:55 AM
IceY2K1Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys pick on your rods too much...they're made of cold coined vanadium steel and can "only" handle what *DOUBLE* what it was designed for? Just playing.

Those are some BEEFY rods alright. I'm just wondering why they didn't use a bolt/nut on the large end.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A word of caution on using different piston geometry to lower compression....

Originally posted by gq_626
Yes, most modern engines and aftermarket applications use floating wrist pins. You can see the locks on the stock piston in photo above. I havent seen it done any other way other than locks and floating wrist pins.

These rods are slightly heavier than stock, which is really the only way to go. With F/I applications, you need strength, rather than lightness. So forged steel rods for this application will always be slightly heavier than stock. Pauter makes some lightweight steel rods, but they are not suitable for F/I applications.

And yes, the rods are exactly the same length as stock. The compression drop comes from the pistons we are using.
The "right" way to lower compression with different piston geometry is to have a deeper "dish" on the top side of the piston. The outer top rim of the piston should not be any lower than stock. Basically at TDC, the top outer rim of the piston should still be the same distance from the bottom of the cylinder head as stock. This "squish volume" should be preserved as it impacts tremendously the pattern of the fuel burn due to the nature of the compression stroke. A screwed up outer piston/cylinder head configuration geometry may cause detonation at even very low compression ratios.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Correct..if you look at my pistons...they are essentially dished out/concave...but the outer lip remains the same height...or very close to the same height as stock.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 PM
axxizzer

I dont like the pauter rods because they are heavier than stock

but titanium you say, any more info for the teetrard?
Old 09-20-2004, 02:36 PM
axxizzer

I dont care what you say, Forged titanium rods will still take boost better than the stockers

definately not weaker
Old 09-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Axxizzer..not sure what you are refering to. I said that Ti rods are just as strong as forged steel....their benifit comes from a 30% weight reduction, and they are $4800 a set, vs. $1200 a set for forged steel pauter. I never said that Ti rods are weaker than stock or weaker than forged steel.

You will not find a forged rod for the VQ, that is robust enough for F/I applications..that is lighter than stock.

You can find rods that are lighter, but they are not robust enough for continuous F/I applications. Yes...they would still be stronger than stock...but those forged Pauter rods you see in the thread are 4-5 times stronger than the stock cast rods.

It really depends on your purposes and goals in building the motor.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:51 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by gq_626
Axxizzer..not sure what you are refering to. I said that Ti rods are just as strong as forged steel....their benifit comes from a 30% weight reduction, and they are $4800 a set, vs. $1200 a set for forged steel pauter. I never said that Ti rods are weaker than stock or weaker than forged steel.
GQ, you didn't say that "Ti" are weaker, you said that "lighter" forged rods are weaker (implying steel of course). That's where the confusion came from.

I start drooling over all this lightweight talk. Any chance you guys have the weights of these parts involved? (stock crank vs. stroker, stock pistons vs. the ones you're using, stock rod weight vs. Pauter?)
Old 09-21-2004, 02:22 PM
axxizzer

If stock rods can take >10 psi, then would Ti rods take more?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:36 PM
350z_taquito

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: This deserves it's own thread: Stock rods vs. Pauter Forged Rods

Originally posted by 350Now
The Pauter Rods with the oil squirter through the center of the Rods are these AEBS only or are they standard on all the Pauter rods for our car?
jeff, the edm drilled rods are a pauter option. what aebs did was notch the wrist pin bearing and have it drilled through the top of the small end. this way, oil not only goes up the rod to lubricate the pin, it actually gets sprayed onto the bottom of the piston. this way oil isn't just squirted all over the place like the stock oil squirters. pay attention man, you've already been told all of this.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Enron Exec

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This deserves it's own thread: Stock rods vs. Pauter Forged Rods

Originally posted by 350z_taquito
jeff, the edm drilled rods are a pauter option. what aebs did was notch the wrist pin bearing and have it drilled through the top of the small end. this way, oil not only goes up the rod to lubricate the pin, it actually gets sprayed onto the bottom of the piston. this way oil isn't just squirted all over the place like the stock oil squirters. pay attention man, you've already been told all of this.
You sure sound like you know your stuff. What do you do for a living or is this a hobby u take seriously?
Old 09-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by axxizzer
If stock rods can take >10 psi, then would Ti rods take more?
Absolutely, the Ti rods are much stonger than cast steel, and comparable in strength to the forged steel rods. Ti is the ultimate material for rods, but they are just too expensive for most people. I think the BWM M3 uses Ti rods, and a few other exotic sports cars. Thats one of the reasons the M3 can give to about 8000rpm.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:14 PM
350Now

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This deserves it's own thread: Stock rods vs. Pauter Forged Rods

Originally posted by 350z_taquito
hahaha.. I didn't pay attention that day. Thanks 350z_taquito.

Originally posted by Enron Exec
You sure sound like you know your stuff. What do you do for a living or is this a hobby u take seriously?
Enron, this is a hobby that taquito takes seriously. He definitely knows his stuff.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:37 PM
bigern1970

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: This deserves it's own thread: Stock rods vs. Pauter Forged Rods

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Did you get that kit?
Nah playa didnt get the kit, just snooping around AEBS. Hey Im coming out next week for the sd ctg.