Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Aem Ems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:12 AM
DBZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aem Ems

Does anyone know if AEM is going to have a Standalone for the 350z? Thanks!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:51 AM
350Now

Last I've heard it's in development. They have or had issues with the fly-by-wire.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:02 AM
etx

Originally posted by 350Now
They have or had issues with the fly-by-wire.
Who hasn't?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:04 PM
azrael

According to the reps on the AEM forums, ETC (electronic throttle control) has been the big hangup. In my estimation, ETC is the least of their worries.

I suspect the real reason we haven't seen an EMS yet is demand. There is a lot more demand for the EMS on LS1/2/6 motors, as well as the K-series hondas, the SR20DETs, etc, etc.

All of those engines require less work than reverse-engineering ETC and CVCTS (more difficult than ETC, in my opinion) on the VQ, and the demand is greater.

As far as I can see, they're simply not working on the VQ right now due to higher priorities.. but that's just my speculation.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard they CAN do the drive by wire, but are reluctant to release to the public due to liability reasons. Some nut could mess with the settings, and the car could drive itself into a wall due to drive by wire. It's my understanding that it is more for liability reasons, rather than technical issues.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:22 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to mention how glitchy that system is... i wouldnt trust it controlling my fly by wire.

the AEM EMS that i used to have in my civic... a few of the times the engine stalled (Very hard to drive with the clutch/flywheel setup in there, so when i let other people drive it they usually stall a couple times)... but yea when the engine would stall out, some of the times it would just fire open the #1 injector and it would just stay open until you key'd off.... its like... geeee thanks...

i dont want that **** anywhere near my throttle body.

there is something about electronically controlled and very safty important physical changes that make a scary combo... kinda like that wierd electrically problem they had in the C5 vettes that would cause the steering wheel to lock with no warning while driving... how would you like to have that happen to you... i know thats an apples to oranges comparison... but hell... i just dont like to have physical devices electronically controlled when safty is a concern.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I also think that they have higher priorities...unfortunately. I told them there is a market, they wouldn't have much competition right now.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by phunk

there is something about electronically controlled and very safty important physical changes that make a scary combo... kinda like that wierd electrically problem they had in the C5 vettes that would cause the steering wheel to lock with no warning while driving... how would you like to have that happen to you... i know thats an apples to oranges comparison... but hell... i just dont like to have physical devices electronically controlled when safty is a concern.

Does the HKS Pro F-Con eliminate the drive by wire, and utilizes a mechanical throttle linkage??
Old 10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

no, the stock ECU is still controlling the fly by wire so its factory nissan im trusting.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:46 PM
azrael

phunk, check your PMs..
Old 10-04-2004, 08:17 PM
DBZ33

Thanks for all the replies. I guess you can beat the Fcon that Charles is using.

Hey Charles I took the Vortech kit off today. I need to come by and remove the piggy back and fuel system.

Isaac
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by phunk
not to mention how glitchy that system is... i wouldnt trust it controlling my fly by wire.

the AEM EMS that i used to have in my civic... a few of the times the engine stalled (Very hard to drive with the clutch/flywheel setup in there, so when i let other people drive it they usually stall a couple times)... but yea when the engine would stall out, some of the times it would just fire open the #1 injector and it would just stay open until you key'd off.... its like... geeee thanks...

i dont want that **** anywhere near my throttle body.

By staying open, do you mean it would just dump fuel into the cylinder? As fuel pumps generally maintain pressure whenever the car is turned on.

Another interesting C5 story (unrelated, sorry), a guy was just driving along on the highway and his STOCK, GM FACTORY Z06 wheel snapped off at the spokes. Holy crap, Corvettes are real nice, but no thank you.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
QuantumZ

The last time I spoke to the techs at AEM, I was asking for a box for the Subaru STi. It also has AVCS and throttle by wire. The AVCS is the same type of system as the NISSAN; an oil pressure system regulated by solenoids. They have that part figured out. It is the TBW that they are held up on. I know they want to do it because they have a lot of apps waiting on TBW. I was under the impression that it was on their list after the Viper ECU which is done.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old 10-05-2004, 07:39 PM
350Zteve

AEM is working on the an EMS for the Z. Nissan gave them a Z a few months ago. Because of the drive by wire, they are going to make the EMS more of a piggy back so the stock computer will stay in place for things like drive by wire, security, etc. Everything else will be fully programmable by the EMS.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:51 PM
azrael

Originally posted by 350Zteve
AEM is working on the an EMS for the Z. Nissan gave them a Z a few months ago. Because of the drive by wire, they are going to make the EMS more of a piggy back so the stock computer will stay in place for things like drive by wire, security, etc. Everything else will be fully programmable by the EMS.
This is a really good thing. Keeping the immobilizer and the stock throttle control is a plus. As long as AEM would allow for tuning of VTC, it would be perfect.

Where'd you get this info?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:30 PM
350Zteve

Originally posted by azrael

Where'd you get this info?
From AEM. I've known one of the owners for 12 years.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you could make the AEM usable in the Z right now via the non car specific model and accomplish the same thing. Get it, with the patch harness being offered here by one of the members and you would be good to go with AEM, or any other standalone out there
Old 02-21-2005, 06:06 PM
blascelles

Default Re: Aem Ems

Originally posted by DBZ33
Does anyone know if AEM is going to have a Standalone for the 350z? Thanks!!!
They are a lot closer now. I know there is a D1 car running the EMS on a turbo'd stock motor. The CAN, DBW systems were not used, so its not actually pnp. I'm sure once there is a working version I can update on its progress. It's looking like weeks instead of months.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:08 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

"If we release it anytime in 2005 we are in good shape" - quoting AEM (one of the top people there).

I wish it was on the market, or close to release.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

so close I can taste it.

Quick Reply: Aem Ems