Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

CJM Sleeved / Wicked Block Install has begun...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CJM Sleeved / Wicked Block Install has begun...

Today we started pulling the engine out of the 350... boy is it hard to work up the nerve to tear apart a perfectly running high hp 350z.

Tommarow morning I am picking up the other block from my machinist and my heads from my head guy.

THe motor is currently hanging in there by a thread... just have to disconnect the power steering and drop it out.

After that I will be transfering all the parts over to the crazy engine.

Some interesting things... the owner of the company who I outsource my head port work to has seen a lot of stuff. He has even done custom cast cylinder heads from tractor pulling engines, and head work for many well known race cars.

He said that the cylinder heads from the VQ35DE were in 2nd place in his opinion... 2nd to the Mitsu 4G63 cylinder head. He said they will easily outflow a heavily worked 2JZGTE head.

My block machinest has also seen a LOT of stuff and built countless insane HP race engines. He has assured me that the AEBS sleeves will not sink and said that he would estimate the new block setup capable of holding 1500hp. He was very impressed with the sleeve job and design of the block and its compact package.

This makes me feel a little better cause I have been constantly worrying about the sleeves sinking. Hopefully he is right and its not going to happen. I am still worried.

My engine contains a brand new block sleeved by AEBS, new stock crankshaft, pauter rods, arias pistons at 8.5 or maybe 8.6:1, ARP Main studs, ARP head studs, stock headgaskets, heavy port worked cylinder heads with oversize stainless valves, JWT springs, SGP retainers, and JWT 260 duration cams. My machinest did a lot of deburring in the crankcase to finish off the sleeve job that AEBS did.

I already have had my car running on the HKS FCON V-Pro EMS (first known in USA) for almost 6000 miles now and have almost 14,000 miles with the turbos. So I have been running my car at 9 psi - 10 psi (did 467rwhp at 9 psi) for almost 6000 miles. I drive it almost daily and i never turn down the boost and boy do I beat the **** out of this car. These engines properly tuned can handle some serious crap.

So at any rate.

Thursday I will begin swapping over parts from the stock engine to the built engine. Hope to mount the engine in the car next week and begin hooking up and installing all the other crap.

There is some small stuff I need to take care of while the motor is out, such as figure out WTF is wrong with my steering rack that is making it mildly clunk around.

Here are the only pics I have... I will get you guys some pics of the good stuff tommarow.

-Charles
CJ Motorsports
Old 11-09-2004, 06:58 PM
tig488

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you suck.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:59 PM
QuantumZ

Default Re: CJM Sleeved / Wicked Block Install has begun...

Nice, I'm jealous.
Have fun.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Home of the Dynapack Dyno

Originally posted by phunk
Today we started pulling the engine out of the 350... boy is it hard to work up the nerve to tear apart a perfectly running high hp 350z.

Tommarow morning I am picking up the other block from my machinist and my heads from my head guy.

THe motor is currently hanging in there by a thread... just have to disconnect the power steering and drop it out.

After that I will be transfering all the parts over to the crazy engine.

Some interesting things... the owner of the company who I outsource my head port work to has seen a lot of stuff. He has even done custom cast cylinder heads from tractor pulling engines, and head work for many well known race cars.

He said that the cylinder heads from the VQ35DE were in 2nd place in his opinion... 2nd to the Mitsu 4G63 cylinder head. He said they will easily outflow a heavily worked 2JZGTE head.

My block machinest has also seen a LOT of stuff and built countless insane HP race engines. He has assured me that the AEBS sleeves will not sink and said that he would estimate the new block setup capable of holding 1500hp. He was very impressed with the sleeve job and design of the block and its compact package.

This makes me feel a little better cause I have been constantly worrying about the sleeves sinking. Hopefully he is right and its not going to happen. I am still worried.

My engine contains a brand new block sleeved by AEBS, new stock crankshaft, pauter rods, arias pistons at 8.5 or maybe 8.6:1, ARP Main studs, ARP head studs, stock headgaskets, heavy port worked cylinder heads with oversize stainless valves, JWT springs, SGP retainers, and JWT 260 duration cams. My machinest did a lot of deburring in the crankcase to finish off the sleeve job that AEBS did.

I already have had my car running on the HKS FCON V-Pro EMS (first known in USA) for almost 6000 miles now and have almost 14,000 miles with the turbos. So I have been running my car at 9 psi - 10 psi (did 467rwhp at 9 psi) for almost 6000 miles. I drive it almost daily and i never turn down the boost and boy do I beat the **** out of this car. These engines properly tuned can handle some serious crap.

So at any rate.

Thursday I will begin swapping over parts from the stock engine to the built engine. Hope to mount the engine in the car next week and begin hooking up and installing all the other crap.

There is some small stuff I need to take care of while the motor is out, such as figure out WTF is wrong with my steering rack that is making it mildly clunk around.

Here are the only pics I have... I will get you guys some pics of the good stuff tommarow.

-Charles
CJ Motorsports
Old 11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great. The engine bay looks so clean....ready for extracation.

What was the turaround time for the AEBS sleeving. Did AEBS install the sleeves or did your machinist.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
QuantumZ

Originally posted by gq_626
looks great. The engine bay looks so clean....ready for extracation.

What was the turaround time for the AEBS sleeving. Did AEBS install the sleeves or did your machinist.
AFAIK, AEBS won't sell the sleeves separate; they must install them, no?

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Home of the Dynapack Dyno
Old 11-09-2004, 07:54 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I think they will sell seperate.

I had them sleeve this block quite a while ago and i cant remember how long they had it... I beleive it was the 2nd one they started to do if i remember correctly.

I want to estimate that they had it for 8 weeks. I remember it was a while but dont remember exactly.

-Charles
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 PM
joenismo

They will sell the sleeves seperately. I will find out from my machinist who did mine how much to install and turn around time if anyone is interested. I know it seems like AEBS is constantly backed up for several weeks. Can't wait for you to get that new engine installed and tuned!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is just SICK! Where did you get your oversized valves from? Did your head guy do any flow bench testing to see how much more he could get out of the heads? If you could post this I would be interested in seeing how much potential we have in head work. Again good luck with your buildup-your going to have to race some liter bikes on video to put up a challenge now. BTW, how much boost do you eventually plan to run?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:31 AM
ttsupra94

What kinda hp do you expect to be running after this?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:39 AM
2003z

can you get me pics of where you mount the engine sling? I have to do the same soon, though not to your extent.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:29 AM
t32gzz

Congrats Charles! I will be following your build closely, so keep us updated.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:09 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

t32gzz: did you end up getting the same injectors i have?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

BTW everyone just got delayed.

Nissan officially sucks. My engine has taken forever to build due to Nissan very reliably giving me the WRONG parts and DAMAGED parts literally on every single part I have ordered.

Now the keepers are wrong, even tho the part # on the bag is right. They put the wrong keepers in a bag 48 times then sent them to me. These keepers are for for a 5.5mm valve stem and the Z uses a 6mm valve stem.

Thanks again NISSAN.

Hopefully I will be able to get the right keepers within the next 4 times i order them.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
03BlkSETE

Default Re: CJM Sleeved / Wicked Block Install has begun...

[i]

[/B]
That is very interesting. Just to clarify, did he mean they flowed that well in stock configuration or after he had they had been worked?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i beleive he meant after he worked them.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
ZxRage

I am loving this thread. I am doing something very similiar to your setup, but I had one question. Why did you get a new stock crankshaft? Was there anything wrong with your old one?

Also, I see that you have 8.5:1 pistons but then say 8.6, did you mill the head at all to increase your CR?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Acree

i hate you... love the car... hate you...

lucky b@st@rd... g/l man
Old 11-10-2004, 03:15 PM
G3po

Default pistons

Originally posted by ZxRage
I am loving this thread. I am doing something very similiar to your setup, but I had one question. Why did you get a new stock crankshaft? Was there anything wrong with your old one?

Also, I see that you have 8.5:1 pistons but then say 8.6, did you mill the head at all to increase your CR?
Arias offers 2 off the shelf VQ35 pistons.
One 8.5:1 (OEM bore) and 8.6:1 (.02 overbore).
Old 11-10-2004, 04:40 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i cant remember if i have the 8.5 or the 8.6 arias. we did not mill the head.

i got a new stock crankshaft cause i didnt have any other to use. i have been driving my car this whole time while building the engine.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Phunk, if they bored out your cylinders, then you likely have the 8.6:1 .020 overbore pistons. If not, then you have the 8.5:1 standard bore.

Quick Reply: CJM Sleeved / Wicked Block Install has begun...