Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil Cooling??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 04:10 PM
DXB350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Cooling??

oil cooling? a tuner in my area mentioned this to me..due to the hot climate we have here...how does it work?
with an APS TT kit...what do i need?

regards,
Moose
Old 11-16-2004, 04:43 PM
uro279

I think APS has an expanded oil pan with cooling fins.

But is there something else we can use to cool oil? Is this what the intercooler is primarily for?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:55 PM
luanda

You probably need an Oil Cooler Kit - It looks like a mini radiator that mounts in the front like the intercooler - best kit would have a thermostat that would allow oil to reach operating temperature before it flows the oil through the cooler.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Cooling??

Originally posted by DXB350Z
oil cooling? a tuner in my area mentioned this to me..due to the hot climate we have here...how does it work?
with an APS TT kit...what do i need?

regards,
Moose
Oil cooling is just another method of pulling heat from the engine. to help increase power and more importantly prevent detonation. On most FI set-ups on the Z, however, there is really no room left for a high capacity oil cooler. An increased capacity oil pan with external heat sinks is a good way to go.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Michael-Dallas

That maybe true for an air-cooled Porsche, but for our cars an oil cooler prevents oil breakdown from high temps. And I doubt it does anything else beyond that. May not be necessary for NA cars driven on the street, but would be VERY worthwhile for FI cars or cars driven at the track. Consider our engines are water cooled and designed to be water cooled.

Michael.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thing is though the Z really does not generate very high oil temps even when boosted. A nice kit would be nice though for guys running big HP numbers and high compression NA. On an NA car, it's a relatively easy thing to get going as there is tons of space, but on a FI car, as Speedracer said, space is at a huge premium

adam
Old 11-20-2004, 06:21 PM
racin

We have been looking at oil temps on track (road courses in Florida) at 250 degrees, which is about as high as I'd want to see them. This is WITH our oil cooler kit (in an absolutely HORRIBLE spot due to the intercooler and space premium thing mentioned above). I'd say that they do achieve high oil temps. Our kit has a thermostat to open at 180 degrees, but the cooler is meant to be mounted with our bracket to the underside of the front bumper. With our FI setup, that mounting position doesn't work, but we will be moving the cooler to an area where it does at least get SOME airflow. Sustained higher RPM seem to generate a lot of oil heat in these cars.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Nick - absolutely agree. For the average guy street driving their car, even under high boost runs, you are not going all flat out for 30 minute sessions as you do on a track day. For a car driven in those conditions, I'd get an oil cooler installed even on an NA car.

You are right about there not being much room on these cars to do much with though. Its a tight fit with a sizable intercooler in there
Old 11-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Corrosive

Do I hear a group buy in the distance. We should get a nice group buy set up for some nice ones. I had an oil and trannie cooler on my supra, and thats why they both lasted well over 100k miles.
-Mike
Old 11-21-2004, 06:53 AM
luanda

My installers placed Nick's kit right behind the Vortech Intercooler -- sighting that the air will flow through the intercooler and still catch the cooler.

I know this impacts the air flow rate to the oil cooler, but the oil cooler must still be offering some benefits.

Yes, No NE1?

Originally posted by racin
We have been looking at oil temps on track (road courses in Florida) at 250 degrees, which is about as high as I'd want to see them. This is WITH our oil cooler kit (in an absolutely HORRIBLE spot due to the intercooler and space premium thing mentioned above). I'd say that they do achieve high oil temps. Our kit has a thermostat to open at 180 degrees, but the cooler is meant to be mounted with our bracket to the underside of the front bumper. With our FI setup, that mounting position doesn't work, but we will be moving the cooler to an area where it does at least get SOME airflow. Sustained higher RPM seem to generate a lot of oil heat in these cars.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

would not be my choice

we would love to do an oil cooler kit for you guys, the problem of course being lots of people running aftermarket bumpers, etc, making it better suited to doing one yourselves
Old 11-21-2004, 12:35 PM
luanda

What would your choice be, given the constraints then???
Old 11-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

thats just the thing,there really is no one size fits all - different intercoolers, different bumpers, etc. I would need the car in front of me