Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS FCON VPRO Installed & Running

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my lay-person assessment, I think he is pulling out way too much timing from the top. Your A/F is a thing of beauty, but that steep dropoff in TRQ, and tailing off of HP at the higher RPM is a pretty good indicator that too much timing is being taken out.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great afr curve dude....very impressive.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:59 PM
kzshin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XS engineering can tunned it.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:05 AM
t32gzz

GQ - I was under the impression that too much timing was removed as well, strictly because he pulled an additional 2 degrees. This is costing me power, but my tuner is "Mr. Safety" apparently.

Phunk- you mentioned before that the VPro will not account for the TS flash. My question to you is that if TS removed timing on the ECU flash, and then you plugged in the FCON, would it not account for the timing map stored in the factory ECU (TS flashed). The TS flash also raised the rev limiter, and that is still working. I can see how you could build a timing map from scratch, but would this factor in the stock timing at all? Would it get this from the base map, or from an ECU reading?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 AM
ZRAYGO

Well I have my car back and as GQ stated they want me to safely break in my car for 1500 miles. I have taken my car to XS Engineering who HKS says is by far the best when it comes to tuning the FCON. I can tell you that my car now is at 5.6 pounds of boost and my rev limiter is set at 4500rpm (for safety reasons). The car is MUCH faster even at 5.6lbs. I pulled on a wrx in 5th gear at about 110 adn then went to 6th and let off the gas (couldnt resist the temptation). They say that after I bring it back that I will be getting around 500hp. But they are trying to work a deal with RC and DSPORT Magazine to get new 75cc injectors. The only problem is with the gas milage......right now it sucks. But they say that after they tune it for power that everything should even out. Anyway, I have placed 600miles on my car and only 900 to go. Ill post some pics of the dyno stats when it is completed.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:59 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NICE!!!

someone else with AEBS sleeves too! Now I am worrying less about my sleeves sinking.

congrats Zraygo! However I will argue that XS Engineering might be a VERY VERY good FCON tuner... I might have to say I got them equal on the tuning ability heres is my dyno graph after tuning the FCON on stock engine :http://www.cj-motorsports.com/91psi115af.jpg I am in the middle of finishing my built motor.

This is starting to get wicked... theres gonna be a lot of really ****in fast 350z for 2005! Someone should start organizing a national meet so we can get all the crazy cars in one place for a few days.

t32gzz: the tuning done to your stock ECU is completely worthless now. The timing and fuel maps in the FCON are all from scratch... nothing stock is accounted for. Remember its a full standalone!!! Even rev limiter... hell my car has 100% stock ECU i never once taken it out! I rev to 7000 since putting in the FCON. you can set the rev limiter to whereever you wish!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:21 AM
t32gzz

I thought that might be the case. Just wanted to check. Based on the dyno, do you think there is too much timing pulled? I know that you ran aggressive timing on 100 octane, but given the 93 octane, is 2 degrees too much to pull?
Old 11-24-2004, 10:24 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well... 2 degrees pulled from where? from the base map jon at HKS made for turbo Z... or 2 degrees from the base map the FCON will generate... or 2 degrees from where he already tuned your car?

its hard to say... but i tell you what... if you want to go into your timing maps and read me your timing line for 9 psi ill tell you how it compares to mine.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:13 PM
350Now

wow.. nice to see some Z making good power now.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:11 PM
spazpilot

It kind of looks like the VVT is not working. Shouldn't there be two timing maps and a change-over point?
Old 11-26-2004, 04:37 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HKS FCON VPRO Installed & Running

Originally posted by t32gzz
I got the car back on Thursday night, and have had so much fun driving it, I have not even been on the board. The car is so much smoother now and the torque comes on faster and harder. I cannot seem to figure out the lack of dyno numbers between me and phunk, but I think it has something to do with the TS flash and the VPro combo. The boost builds much faster, and I achieve full boost much sooner.

So everyone wants to know the dyno numbers, so here they are:

420 rwhp, 434 torque at 9.4 psi

I do not have the dyno graph to post, but should have it on Monday or Tuesday. I accidentally left it at the shop. We pulled an additional 2 degrees of timing on top of whatever TS pulled. We could not see what TS did to the timing, so we had to be on the safe side as far as the timing was concerned.

The A/F ratio is a safe 11.4 and the line is perfectly straight across on the dyno. I have little doubt I can daily drive this on the FCON at 420 whp until February when I have the motor built.

I also had the AAM return fuel system installed and switched to the Walbro pump and 1000cc injectors. The car is now a built motor away from my goals... I hope.

Special thanks to Charles (phunk) for helping with the minor glitches and all the research of the product. The car was tuned by Kenny Tran of Jotech.
Any chance you can find out what your stft and ltft readings are. I'm trying to figure out what kind of A:F I can possibly tune to with my HKS SC and NOT trigger a check engine light. Right now it *looks* like I am running 11:1, have a 75% stft, and am triggering an SES light becuase an A:F that rich is interpreted as "no output" by the ECU from the A:F sensors.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
t32gzz

Phunk - 2 degrees from the base map Jon built. Next time I am at the shop I will hook up the laptop and take a look at the timing map.