Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

G at RoadAmerica - New Music Vids

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 09:04 PM
riffster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G at RoadAmerica - New Music Vids

Some videos for the Holiday season - my G35c on a very cold and slippery HPDE day at RoadAmerica in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin 10/16/04. A text story to accompany them will soon appear on Matt's g-owners.com site.

There are three videos - all of the same session. One is normal speed without captions and no music. The other two are speeded up three times and have captions and different music. I found the speeded up videos tend to illustrate tracking lines better.

Normal speed - No captions - no music - 19+ MB
300% Speed - Captions - Speed Metal Soundtrack- 21MB+
300% Speed - Captions - Rockabilly Soundtrack- 26MB+

Please do not stream (although it is usually a fast link), right-click on them and 'Save Target As ...' (or whatever you Mac and Linux guys do!

You'll note a strange frame around the video - that's because I mounted my DV cam on the passenger side window on the front. The ball mount could not quite get the camera level so I had to use Sony Screenblast video editing software to rotate it after the fact.

The resulting rotation caused the wierd trapezoidal framing to happen. I'm going to try putting the DV cam on the sunroof with triple suction cups - I just have to figure a way out to tether it as well (attachment point?) That would get me as close as possible to the front of the car (better than a rear window mount) and still not get a wierd framing.

Hope you enjoy it - let me know if you have any suggestions on filming or driving technique - I need HELP on both!

Spring can't get here soon enough.

- Riff
Old 12-19-2004, 11:53 AM
BLKturbo91

Get ride of the pit driving it is not needed....Also when you mount your cam try and get the whole view through the windshield..This will give the view better perspective of what is going on. Tunes are great, but from all your footage just try and get maybe one or two good laps any more and the viewer becomes bored. As for as driving try and link your turns better....you seem to have the idea of turning in at the right time but you just need to trust that the car is going to turn in with you......You get to turn and the motor seems to loose its revs then as you turn in you don't pick the trottle back up slowly you just mash it on....Atleast this is what I think I hear you doing.....Just remeber be smooth.....Think smooth thoughts.....Don't rush it you will get better...
Old 12-19-2004, 08:27 PM
riffster

Originally posted by BLKturbo91
Get ride of the pit driving it is not needed....Also when you mount your cam try and get the whole view through the windshield..This will give the view better perspective of what is going on. Tunes are great, but from all your footage just try and get maybe one or two good laps any more and the viewer becomes bored. As for as driving try and link your turns better....you seem to have the idea of turning in at the right time but you just need to trust that the car is going to turn in with you......You get to turn and the motor seems to loose its revs then as you turn in you don't pick the trottle back up slowly you just mash it on....Atleast this is what I think I hear you doing.....Just remeber be smooth.....Think smooth thoughts.....Don't rush it you will get better...
Thanks for the tips. I have to do some more editing - that should make the tape a bit more short and sweet.

Yeah, what's happening on the turns is that I am braking at the very last second, then holding the braking into the turn. That slows me down and keeps me off the throttle so I lose revs. What I am going to have to do is brake a little sooner, turn a little later, come off the gas pedal easy and then maintain a steady throttle through the turn (I'll leave trail braking for later when I get better!) Exit speed is a killer with the somewhat porky coupe.

But what I don't get is why it's so bad that I hit the gas hard after I exit the turn - as long as I am going straight (brake straight, accelerate straight) is it that bad? I know you don't want to unbalance the car, but I never feel my coupe getting bothered by me getting back on the gas hard coming out of a turn. Maybe I should just 'squeeze' hard on the pedal instead of stomping on it?

- Riff
Old 12-20-2004, 09:48 AM
StarcraftBW

you don't use E-shift?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 AM
riffster

Originally posted by StarcraftBW
you don't use E-shift?
Yes I use it. Some of the early sessions I did use full auto until I learned the course better, but at the end I used the manumatic all the time.

- Riff