Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Stillen Camber / Toe WTF???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:43 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stillen Camber / Toe WTF???!!!

Ok so I bought a set of Stillen Camber adjuster bars because my car sat too low after installing Tein H. Tech springs. I wanted to minimize extreme tire wear and maximize road grip. The day I went to put them in, 1/2 through the install I realized that I was also gonna need Toe arms because the more you try to adjust the Camber, the more you mess up your toe.

So, 430 bucks later I got a set of toe adjusters and installed everything at once but then relized that as much as I tried adjusting the Camber and toe of the rear wheels, the worse it got. Now my camber is so bad that I barely have an Inch of contact with the ground.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I got the toe corrected allmost 100% but the camber is reeeeeal negative right now and it loks and rides terrible.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 AM
cbrflyer919

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whos doing ur alignment?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:24 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by cbrflyer919
whos doing ur alignment?
+1
Old 01-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrflyer919
whos doing ur alignment?
+2

I have the stillen camber arms, with the JIC toe arms. If it the person doing your alignment is competent there should be no problems.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:39 AM
tecni

I installed the arms and I was trying to get it as aligned as I could before I took it to a shop to get it done profesionally. Plus, its sunday and the place where I usually get it done @ for 35 bucks is closed. I'm gonna see if there's another place open today so I can get that out of the way.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:31 PM
IAPDirect.com

Try carlitos tires on Forsyth rd. They do a great job on lowered cars.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:41 PM
roneski

It can be a pain, I spent a few hours messing with mine when I installed them. Remember that the lower you are the more camber you add and it is possible to go beyond the limits of what the Stillen arms can adjust for.

It's a geometry puzzle basically, you add positive toe and you get negative camber. (I think that's how it worked) If I remember right I had to push the toe arm out nearly as far as it would go then adjust the camber arm.

Also you can try loosening the bolts that attach the spring perch while adjusting. That little bit of play that it gives you can help some, but be sure to tighten them back up when you're done.

It's frustrating but it can be done. At least you can get it close enough to drive to the alignment shop.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:31 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes there is huge camber and toe gains and losses through the suspension travel. one adjustment effects the other. mine is lowered about 3" all around and i am at max. toe subtraction, but have alot more adjustment in camber with aftermarket links. sucks cause my tires are still cambered abit yet i'm out of adustment on the tow to allow more camber + adjustment.you just need to keep playing with it and record your measurements so you know how far you are moving it. a 2' level will help setting camber, and measuring with a couple framing squares in the front and rear of the tires will give you toe. if you do it correctly, you can get your alignment to 95% before the alignment shop. i have made some "tools" i use to set wheel alignments.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:06 AM
tecni

I ended up taking it to CR alignment on Orange BLossom Tr. and after 4 hrs of dedicated wrenching, they managed to get all my specs in the green and now the car drives perfectly. ALso, I had Tein H and my camber/toe was too off for propper alignment so I went out and got a full tein flex system.

To all those installing their own Tein FLex: Remeber to tighten the top nut on each coilover and soften the shock sensitivity. I had to drop the shocks again after I installed them because I had the washers rattling in the back.