Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Battle of the Boosted. G35 TT Vs IS300 T

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:11 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree! That TS kit looks insane on the supra!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Top Secret gave me an incurable disease. Now, not only do I have to figure out a way to pay for the build project for my G (including a Top Secret wide body kit), but now I have to find a way to get a Supra too!

Damn you Top Secret!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Devil Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your G would win. What sized Turbos are you running?

You will have a 1.5L advantage over both of the IS's. More power per psi of boost, or so I read?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
94JZA80

Originally Posted by MIVsupra93-2JZ
All of this turbo talk is a little too complicated for me, with that said, I think the G/Z looks a lot better then the out dated 4th gen Supras even though I love that car to death. Anyone wanna prove me wrong?
if it were possible to prove an opinion wrong, i would...but the best i can do try to provide convincing edivence against your case

here are a few exhibits:

IMHO nothing beats the look of a stock bodied MKIV. yes, there are some nice front and rear bumpers/sideskirts/spoilers out there, but i think the best looking Supras look like OEM 97's and 98's - i.e. they have stock bodies with painted trim (instead of black plastic trim) at the bottom edges of the front/rear fenders and sideskirts.

is the G35 a hot car? without a doubt. how about the 350Z? i think its even better looking than the G, despite it being less refined and luxurious. but if i had a choice between the G35, 350Z, and an MKIV Supra, i couldn't pass up the timeless exotic beauty of the Supra. i know, i know, its just an opinion and i can't prove it as i could a fact. but the car just flows perfectly - no sharp, goofy edges, no funny window lines, etc. in fact i've yet to find another production car that comes closer to looking like an exotic/supercar since its debut (save the C6 Vette).

anyways, back on topic - i'm now subscribed. can't wait to see the showdown between the built single turbo IS300 and the swapped G35.

EDIT - btw, i'm new here...hi everyone

Last edited by 94JZA80; 10-17-2007 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
tecni

Well I believe the OEM look makes an old car look less dated. Doesn't matter how good the body kit looks, body kits are a date stamp on a car.

For example... My 95 eclipse GSX. Great car but I can't put a single body kit on it. Since the car is old, all the body kits make it look like a scene from fast and furious. All I can do it put some nice wheels (TE37, work or ccw), tires, suspension, seibon OEM CF hood, maybe the hatch too and call it a day.

OEM look FTMFW!!!

Originally Posted by 94JZA80
if it were possible to prove an opinion wrong, i would...but the best i can do try to provide convincing edivence against your case

here are a few exhibits:

IMHO nothing beats the look of a stock bodied MKIV. yes, there are some nice front and rear bumpers/sideskirts/spoilers out there, but i think the best looking Supras look like OEM 97's and 98's - i.e. they have stock bodies with painted trim (instead of black plastic trim) at the bottom edges of the front/rear fenders and sideskirts.

is the G35 a hot car? without a doubt. how about the 350Z? i think its even better looking than the G, despite it being less refined and luxurious. but if i had a choice between the G35, 350Z, and an MKIV Supra, i couldn't pass up the timeless exotic beauty of the Supra. i know, i know, its just an opinion and i can't prove it as i could a fact. but the car just flows perfectly - no sharp, goofy edges, no funny window lines, etc. in fact i've yet to find another production car that comes closer to looking like an exotic/supercar since its debut (save the C6 Vette).

anyways, back on topic - i'm now subscribed. can't wait to see the showdown between the built single turbo IS300 and the swapped G35.

EDIT - btw, i'm new here...hi everyone
Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Almost agree w/ you - the stock bodied MKIV looks great except for the rear end (imo of course). the Z/G have a more "complete" package... Maybe get some LED tail lights for the supra with a different wing and lose the huge "fart can" exhaust muffler and you'd be on to something... The TS kit goes a long way to helping - the tail lights still look dull though.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
GodSendsDeath

lol....racing a supra hahahahahaha.... as for the IS300 not sure how much traction the car gets. But Soundperformance from IL can build you a 9.5 sec street legal supra. Call them up.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 AM
2T350Z

being that I owned a Is300 with a 2jz in it and also owned a Z the Is will smoke it
Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
tecni

Originally Posted by 2T350Z
being that I owned a Is300 with a 2jz in it and also owned a Z the Is will smoke it
Yes but your Z never had a 4.5L TT in it.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
bhendjol
achoooooo

Tecni, youre insane.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 AM
94JZA80

Originally Posted by rcdash
Almost agree w/ you - the stock bodied MKIV looks great except for the rear end (imo of course). the Z/G have a more "complete" package... Maybe get some LED tail lights for the supra with a different wing and lose the huge "fart can" exhaust muffler and you'd be on to something... The TS kit goes a long way to helping - the tail lights still look dull though.
we have very different opinions ...i love the simple rounded-off look of the Supra rear end. sure, it would be nice if the tail lights were actually LED, but at least the light pods flow perfectly with the curves at the rear end. i unfortunately cannot say the same for the G - its too edgy and squared off toward the bottom of the rear bumper for my taste...it just doesn't look very aerodynamic compared to the Supra (i'm not saying it isn't - it just doesn't look it). as for the spoiler and the "fart can" exhaust, i'm not sure if you are referring to the Anthracite Supra or the black one. i prefer the canister style exhaust on the Anthracite Supra, and rather dislike the giant muffler/exhaust tip on the black Supra. both exhaust systems are excellent, so i guess it comes down to the style/look you like. as for the spoiler, its a toss up for me between the OEM (anthracite car) and the TRD/Rod Millen (black car) rear spoiler. i have the OEM spoiler on my car for now...i'm not sure when/if i'll change it to the TRD spoiler.

and i'm very surprised how many people actually think the Top Secret kit makes the Supra look good...i haven't seen such an ugly front end on a Supra since the ricer aerokits that debuted ages ago from companies like Erebuni, C-West, etc. one thing's for sure, people either love this kit or hate it, there's no in between. but hey, that's the beauty of everyone being entitled to his/her opinion .

back on topic - some of the predictions i'm seeing in here have no justification. even those who have owned one or the other (or both the IS and the G35) are making blanket statements when claiming that one will outright beat the other. how can this prediction be accurate when we don't really have the details of the setups in each car? i could justify all the initial skepticism of a 2JZ-GTE vs VQ35DE comparison, but has it dawned on anyone here that a turbo'd 4.5L V8 will spool a bit faster and produce WAY more low end torque than both the VQ and the 2JZ? not that there won't be plenty of challenges along the way and hurdles to overcome, but for so many people to write off the G35 simply b/c its going up against a 2JZ-GTE is simply ignorant without knowing the details of each car's setup. what if the 2JZ is running a GT42 or something ridiculous? then the G will surely pull initially and then get walked. what if the 2JZ only has a 57mm turbo? it would be neck-n-neck and then the G would eventually pull away hard. not everything with a 2JZ-GTE under the hood is going to be built to the hilt or making 800+rwhp. just a thought...

Last edited by 94JZA80; 10-17-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 AM
tecni

Exactly. Most people will jump the gun and argue for the 2jZ just because it's a 2j. Lets give the old VH45 a chance here!

we have very different opinions ...i love the simple rounded-off look of the Supra rear end. sure, it would be nice if the tail lights were actually LED, but at least the light pods flow perfectly with the curves at the rear end. i unfortunately cannot say the same for the G - its too edgy and squared off toward the bottom of the rear bumper for my taste...it just doesn't look very aerodynamic compared to the Supra (i'm not saying it isn't - it just doesn't look it). as for the spoiler and the "fart can" exhaust, i'm not sure if you are referring to the Anthracite Supra or the black one. i prefer the canister style exhaust on the Anthracite Supra, and rather dislike the giant muffler/exhaust tip on the black Supra. both exhaust systems are excellent, so i guess it comes down to the style/look you like. as for the spoiler, its a toss up for me between the OEM (anthracite car) and the TRD/Rod Millen (black car) rear spoiler. i have the OEM spoiler on my car for now...i'm not sure when/if i'll change it to the TRD spoiler.

and i'm very surprised how many people actually think the Top Secret kit makes the Supra look good...i haven't seen such an ugly front end on a Supra since the ricer aerokits that debuted ages ago from companies like Erebuni, C-West, etc. one thing's for sure, people either love this kit or hate it, there's no in between. but hey, that's the beauty of everyone being entitled to his/her opinion .

back on topic - some of the predictions i'm seeing in here have no justification. even those who have owned one or the other (or both the IS and the G35) are making blanket statements when claiming that one will outright beat the other. how can this prediction be accurate when we don't really have the details of the setups in each car? i could justify all the initial skepticism of a 2JZ-GTE vs VQ35DE comparison, but has it dawned on anyone here that a turbo'd 4.5L V8 will spool a bit faster and produce WAY more low end torque than both the VQ and the 2JZ? not that there won't be plenty of challenges along the way and hurdles to overcome, but for so many people to write off the G35 simply b/c its going up against a 2JZ-GTE is simply ignorant without knowing the details of each car's setup. what if the 2JZ is running a GT42 or something ridiculous? then the G will surely pull initially and then get walked. what if the 2JZ only has a 57mm turbo? it would be neck-n-neck and then the G would eventually pull away hard. not everything with a 2JZ-GTE under the hood is going to be built to the hilt or making 800+rwhp. just a thought...
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM
tecni

Originally Posted by bhendjol
Tecni, youre insane.
Thank you sir!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ You're right that we have very different opinions! I couldn't disagree more! While I like the lines of the stock Supra, I love the lines of the G35 coupe, including the rear. IMO, the G35 coupe is the perfect blend of sexy curves and defined lines/edges. I think that's why I also love the Top Secret Final Evolution version bodykit for the Supra. It gives the Supra some edges to go with those nice curves.

^I agree with the second part of your post. Some folks aren't considering the superior low and midrange power that tecni's VH45 V8 with twin 56mm turbos will have over a 3.0L or even stroked version of a 2JZ-GTE.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM
94JZA80

Originally Posted by tecni
Exactly. Most people will jump the gun and argue for the 2jZ just because it's a 2j. Lets give the old VH45 a chance here!
heck, i would even give the nod to the VQ35 over the 2JZ with respect to potential as well - i just think it will a while before we see it. after all, the 2JZ didn't make gobs of power overnight. it took several years before people realized they could push the stock internals to 1000chp (850whp or so). it also took a while before people realized the stock fuel system was good for 500rwhp. at any given power level (below 600whp for reality's sake), the VQ35 will produce MORE torque EARLIER in the revband simply due to its larger displacement. i see no reason why this wouldn't apply at significantly higher power levels except for the obvious limitations of the VQ35 (internals, block, etc.)...but build it and re-enforce the block, and i would imagine that the VQ35 could make as much power as the 2JZ and even more torque. i'm just glad it hasn't happened yet, or the Supra might not be king of the hill anymore
Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
bhendjol
achoooooo

How much money and time you've spent?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
94JZA80

Originally Posted by bhendjol
How much money and time you've spent?
...not sure if your question was aimed at me, but i've spent about $5000 on her total. i spent approx $1,650 for BPU (Basic Performance Upgrades: downpipe, cat-back, and boost controller). i don't recall exactly how much time i've spent working on her, but i did all the work myself (with the occasional help of friends...i don't like to pay for labor, and i don't like people i don't know working on my car, regardless of their qualifications). now some guys go "BPU" for as little as $1000, but i splurged for one of the nicer cat-backs available at the time. it seems as though people spend as little as $1000 and as much as $2000 to go BPU, so i guess i spent a bit more than the average cost of going BPU.

add in the HKS intake, the GReddy 3-row, and the B&M ssk, and i suppose i've spent around $3500 for "go fast" mods. on a side note, the $200 i spent on the intake was a waste of money. i could have made a more efficient one for less $, but i was lazy at the time.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
MIVsupra93-2JZ

If you wanna see some sexy a$$, look no further then this thread, if you haven't already....

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/297605-who-has-the-sexier-looking-a-the-z-or-g.html

Supras gets some mention as well. I like both edgy and curvy depending on the car. It would look retarted if the Supras/Z had edgy rear and the G had rounded rear b/c it doesn't flow with the lines of the side panels that runs to the rear. Corvettes/NSX have nice edgy rear and Vipers/2nd gen eclipse have nice curvy ones...it just all depends.

I agree that front TS kit is nasty on the supras with that slanted eyes. I like the classic Blitz kit though. Oh yea, the supras looks even more sexy and sleek without that big *** wing IMO. Being the curvy fan that you are, don't you think that wing is a bit edgy? I tihnk its draws too much unwanted attention in the back end.

Last edited by MIVsupra93-2JZ; 10-17-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:19 AM
94JZA80

Originally Posted by MIVsupra93-2JZ
Being the curvy fan that you are, don't you think that wing is a bit edgy? I tihnk its draws too much unwanted attention in the back end.
IMO there are two great looking spoilers on the Supra - the OEM and the TRD/Rod Millen. i agree that the TRD/Rod Millen spoiler draws alot of attention, but don't think it is unwanted attention. to be honest, it doesn't seem all that edgy to me, but that's the beauty of subjectivity - some things that appear edgy to one person may not seem that way at all to someone else. its kinda like the Nismo spoilers for the 350Z - both are fairly edgy, yet the one on the 2003 Nismo 350Z (version 1 i guess) looks great, and the one on the 2007 Nismo 350Z (version 2?) looks like crap - it just doesn't flow IMO. so sometimes "edgy" can flow with "curvy" if the transition lines are well thought out.