Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Battle of the Boosted. G35 TT Vs IS300 T

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:40 AM
EM-EFER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Also, 900whp is daily driven. JGTC vehicles cost more than your house dont compare, plus they dont run the same engines. JGTC is regulated by the fuel they use, the compression, the boost, etc. Get your facts straight.
You can use as much boost or compression as you would like in the 500. As long as you stay within HP spec depending if your doing the 500 or 300.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:04 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lukesnyder
You can use as much boost or compression as you would like in the 500. As long as you stay within HP spec depending if your doing the 500 or 300.
Thank you for clarifying that. I was just trying to point out regulations they have on those vehicles when compared to street driven vehicles.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:15 PM
tecni

Well I guess we'll just have to see for ourselves. It all might just come down to driver... Who knows? Neither one of us have spent significant time on the track. Not only that but I do think the IS will have problems hooking up because of tire width.

Has anyone ever put an RB26 on a G or Z?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by tecni
Well I guess we'll just have to see for ourselves. It all might just come down to driver... Who knows? Neither one of us have spent significant time on the track. Not only that but I do think the IS will have problems hooking up because of tire width.

Whatever you guys do, good luck with your race dude. Yeah your right about him not gripping, so if he wants to win he'll have to buy himself some really wide tires...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Fairlady_z33

It all depends on the setup now if the G puts 25 pounds on the greddy TT's fully built we should see 800 rwhp (or i think so) I think from a stop our cars have a little advantage but from a roll they do just becouse the fact that they have does big turbo's. But hey who knows we all might be amazed at whats the outcome.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 PM
CuRiOuSfIsH

yes.... in Japan.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Rookie84

It is so much simpler to get outrageous power out of 2JZ-GTE than VQ35DE. I used to own '97 Supra with T-78 turbo on stock fuel. With just that turbo kit, FMIC, HKS SAFR and nothing else, I was making over 450rwhp. I could have pushed for more but I wanted to stay at safe level for stock fuel system as the said limit for stock fuel system is about 500rwhp. The lag was horrible is T-78 though... but I got it for really good price used so couldn't beat that when I was in need of new turbo after one of my stockers blew As much as I love my G, I know Supra has a superior engine for boost. 2JZ-GTE is just simply an amazing engine... With just single turbo kit, fuel system, and engine management, it is capable of outrageous power with no worries about reliability. With boosted G, it takes a lot more work than that to get some serious power... not to mention it is more expensive. Hell, 2JZ-GTE is capable of 400+rwhp with just bolt-ons...
Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by Rookie84
It is so much simpler to get outrageous power out of 2JZ-GTE than VQ35DE. I used to own '97 Supra with T-78 turbo on stock fuel. With just that turbo kit, FMIC, HKS SAFR and nothing else, I was making over 450rwhp. I could have pushed for more but I wanted to stay at safe level for stock fuel system as the said limit for stock fuel system is about 500rwhp. The lag was horrible is T-78 though... but I got it for really good price used so couldn't beat that when I was in need of new turbo after one of my stockers blew As much as I love my G, I know Supra has a superior engine for boost. 2JZ-GTE is just simply an amazing engine... With just single turbo kit, fuel system, and engine management, it is capable of outrageous power with no worries about reliability. With boosted G, it takes a lot more work than that to get some serious power... not to mention it is more expensive. Hell, 2JZ-GTE is capable of 400+rwhp with just bolt-ons...
I totally agree... Did you have a 6spd or auto?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 AM
2003rex

yeah hate to say it... but just a mildly worked over 2jz-GTE will stomp on 95% of cars out there today. So as much as I love my VQ I'd go with the 2jz, their turbo limitations with that motor is almost non-existant and make MASSIVE gains compared to us. But if money wasn't a factor then I guess the sky is the limit. Oh yeah just do, because it'll always come down to a drivers race and/or pocket.

On the side note though, who cares who wins, you both have cars that sound incredible and a that a lot of people would envy. Just enjoy the friendly competition and keep pushing the envelope for all us VQ'ers.

Stay safe,
Smitty
Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 PM
97supratt

Honestly if you compare a RB26DETT vs 2JZ-GTE, that would be very very close. But the VQ is a totally different powerplant, I would compare it to the new IS350 motors that are out. Even though the aftermarket hasnt responded to the IS350 yet, once they do, we will find some results. All these engines are awesome though, we (6 cylinder owners) give the pesky V8's something to cry about...
Old 01-27-2006, 07:56 PM
tecni

my dad just bought an IS350 and its pretty impressive... It puts down alot of power to the ground in an almost unnoticable way. (meaning its really smooth). But then again its got the same problem the VQ has and its that it doesn't have a turbo counterpart so yeah you could put a turbo or SC on it but it wont be an RB26 or a 2jzgTe.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 PM
SilverJDMCoupe

hmmmmm....this sounds just like a debate I heard over the 4G63 (Eclipse GSX/GS-T etc.) vs. the B-series Honda motors (no turbo counterparts either) about 4 years ago, now they're pretty much neck and neck. I think its a toss up, or favor to the VQ, I've seen people on these boards put down 600+ whp on only 14 psi. Only from experience the Supra motor would have the advantage cause we've seen those engines on a pretty high amount of boost, put down some high numbers, I haven't heard of any VQ35's running above 17 psi yet, but BOLT-ON Turbonetics or APS single turbo will net you 365-380 whp at less than 9 psi, thats all I need to hear....., I know what I'm sticking with....
Old 02-02-2006, 07:34 PM
georgec

Originally Posted by SilverJDMCoupe
hmm I haven't heard of any VQ35's running above 17 psi yet,
Just fyi APS is testing the twin turbo system on a forged engine right now at 24 psi, so far so good.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:32 AM
SilverJDMCoupe

georgec, if APS is in fact testing a VQ35 with forged internals on twins, We are talking some serious a$$ power.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 AM
RICHAZN

Originally Posted by BigBoost
Boost for boost the VQ ***** all over the 2JZGTE. Build your bottom end and its all over for him. He will need a big laggy turbo to make serious power while you will not even know what turbo lag is. Just compare a NA G35 to a NA IS300, its no contest...the same will be for a G35TT vs IS300 with a big laggy turbo. His car will not be fun to daily drive while yours will have a broad useable powerband.

3.5 > 3.0
ur an idiot... yes a stock g35 will whomp on a stock is300... but when his friend does his research he will find out that he needs the 2jz-gte block and head... that has the lower compression and less problems when turbo-ing it... now as for a big laggy turbo... where are you getting your information... see i can make a supra go into the 9's without a big laggy turbo... its just how much do you want to spend on your turbo... if you want i can get a turbo for a supra that spools at 2200 and will get you into the 11's for 3200 bucks... or a turbo that spools at 1800 that will get you into the 10's for 4000 bucks... its all about cash and not so much about horsepower... i know of cars that are 900 horses and do 18's at the track... we call those dyno queens...

o and another thing... the stock internals in a 2jzgte has been overbuilt by toyota to survive up to 600rwhp.... lets see the VQ35 do that

and guess what ive been building supras for years... so dont argue with me. i just went with a g35 because i wanted a new car and toyota and their infinite wisdom go out of sports cars
Old 02-05-2006, 09:20 AM
RICHAZN

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Honestly if you compare a RB26DETT vs 2JZ-GTE, that would be very very close. But the VQ is a totally different powerplant, I would compare it to the new IS350 motors that are out. Even though the aftermarket hasnt responded to the IS350 yet, once they do, we will find some results. All these engines are awesome though, we (6 cylinder owners) give the pesky V8's something to cry about...
honestly i dont think the market will respond that greatly to create an aftermarket is350 frenzy... lexus has decided to market to the baby boomer generation with that car... the electronics of that car make it so it is not fun to drive anymore... the car thinks for itself and its own safety and the occupants inside... even when you turn off the traction control it still makes the car lag... paddle shifting is a ***** in the is350... no matter what the transmission lags for about half a second so the tranny brain can think what the smoothest shift would be...

all in all... the is350 with all the luxuries is a great vehicle to cruise in... not to go fast in... i was not impressed with it when i test drove it ... i couldnt get the car sideways... i had trouble shifting on time... it just didnt work for me... im also going to laugh when some genius tries to go forced induction and the ecu starts freaking out then he will try to go stand alone and that makes his traction control/abs freak out and so on and so forth.... the car is too smart for its own good

[/rant]
Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 AM
RICHAZN

Originally Posted by Rookie84
werd
Old 02-05-2006, 11:18 AM
SilverJDMCoupe

Originally Posted by RICHAZN
ur an idiot... yes a stock g35 will whomp on a stock is300... but when his friend does his research he will find out that he needs the 2jz-gte block and head... that has the lower compression and less problems when turbo-ing it... now as for a big laggy turbo... where are you getting your information... see i can make a supra go into the 9's without a big laggy turbo... its just how much do you want to spend on your turbo... if you want i can get a turbo for a supra that spools at 2200 and will get you into the 11's for 3200 bucks... or a turbo that spools at 1800 that will get you into the 10's for 4000 bucks... its all about cash and not so much about horsepower... i know of cars that are 900 horses and do 18's at the track... we call those dyno queens...

o and another thing... the stock internals in a 2jzgte has been overbuilt by toyota to survive up to 600rwhp.... lets see the VQ35 do that

and guess what ive been building supras for years... so dont argue with me. i just went with a g35 because i wanted a new car and toyota and their infinite wisdom go out of sports cars
No disrespect, but you've been building Supra's for years, so you know Supras, you havent been building VQ35s for years, so you know the in's and out's of the Supra motor, not the VQ35. I don't think he VQ35 has had enough time in the hands or hardcore builders for a long enough period of time to show its true colors. But, to take a motor that puts out avg 230whp in stock form, pop on a single turbo kit @ 8-9 psi, and show 365-380whp with no other mods and 420 whp with an exhaust and tuning shows me potential!!

Last edited by SilverJDMCoupe; 02-05-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:32 AM
636Racer

OK so I just bought a VQ35DE from a local Salvage yard yesterday and took it all apart last night and I'm getting a price quote from Titan Motorsports to get it built ASAP.

What's the big deal you say? Ever since I bought my G, my friend has been trying to beat me with his IS (with NO LUCk of course) especially after I got my Greddy tt's he gave up fror a while but now he's dropping a 2JZGTE into his IS and from what I hear it will be a beast.

Do you think a 2jzGTE IS 300 will beat a fully built G35 with Greddy TT's. (maxing both setups). -----> max PSI on both.

I hear he will break his Tranny at or beyond 350hp unless he get a getrag or a supra 6 speed tranny.

Any thoughts?
Hell, I beat a turbocharged IS300 on our raod course with my (then) stock G35.
http://rev808.com/v1/showthread.php?t=1280

In a straightline? he'd probably win (in my case), but we're not into that boring stuff.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:02 PM
tecni

Originally Posted by RICHAZN

Honestly, there's no need to call anyone names here... If you just like to come here and talk trash about VQ pushers, then go back to your supraforum and do it over there where you will find all the comrodery you need.

I think its clear that the VQ is a beast of a motor but can't hold too much boost unless you forge all the internals. I believe that if the VQ had an iron short block and came with forged internals, it would blow the 2JZ GTE out of the water. All we need is a performance part company to make it for us.

Quick Reply: Battle of the Boosted. G35 TT Vs IS300 T