Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

warping rotors on a g35

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM
lowerlattitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warping rotors on a g35

hi all,

new poster here with a semi-old question. Many have experienced warping issues on earlier g35's. I am looking for a long term solution, but dont feel the need to necessairly drop big $$ on a full blown upgrade with calipers, etc. My number one choice at the moment is to go with a Racing Brake OEM BBK which basically gives me 13" rotors and an extender bracket allowing me to use oem calipers and pads.

I know the swept area of the new rotor will not be fully utilized due to the stock pad size and I don't really care. My thought process is that the bigger rotor will give me increased heat dissipation and help to avoid the warping problem of the OEM undersized rotors. The Brembos were better not so much because of the piston design but because the rotors were bigger AND thicker ( 4mm moreso ).

The Racing brake kit is bigger, but not thicker. Any thoughts here? I have also considered going with a 06 caliper to get thicker rotors, but the bracket assy will not work from my car. So my only real options are to buy an aftermarket rotor made from a higher grade iron alloy (unknown effectiveness), go with Racing Brakes OEM BBK or go with a full on aftermarket Big Brake kit and spend 3x what the Racing Brake kit would cost. And of course that would mean being stuck with funky sized pads which would also cost more $ down the road as well.

Please no flames on the RB kit, I just want thoughts on my logic for heat dissipation and warpage and hopefully anyone who has experience with that kit. I dont race this car, it is my daily driver 80% hwy driving.

Thanks!

B
Old 01-09-2008, 03:41 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

StopTech Stage 2

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2966
Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
lowerlattitude

Default re stoptech stage 2

thanks but that is basically just a set of slotted rotors that are the same diameter and thickness as the OEM rotor size with no data to support them being of a superior quality casting material.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:09 PM
ResIpsa

Default Some thoughts...

I experienced this on my last cruise to skyline Drive. It got to the point that my G would pulsate violently on the entrance to curves. Not good for confident heel toe maneuvers...

The only problem I see with the RB OEM kit is, unless you have a 03 or 04, you’re still stuck with one piece rotors. Because rotor warping is caused by the uneven expansion of the outside of rotor compared with the hub, you will need 2-piece fully floating rotors to cure this problem.

If you have a 03 or 04, the 2-piece RB OEM kits are available. But at more than $1,000 your starting to get into wilwood territory. Faced with this decision, I went with the Arizona Z Car front BBK. It has 6 piston calipers (and wilwood's racing heritage goes back to the dinosaurs) and 2-piece rotors for $1,300. The downside is that the rotors are not floating (they are simply billet aluminum hubs, which look pretty damn cool IMHO) bolted to the rotor and the cast iron is not given any rust protection (easily cured with some spray paint). This set up should still give better cooling than a one piece iron rotor and is substantially lighter.

Check out Fastbrakes.com as well. They sell a Wilwood 4 piston true fully floating 2-piece rotor BBK for the same price.

If I raced my G, I would have gone with the Fastbrakes 4 pot. But AZC’s 6 Piston Calipers with the red anodized hub just look so cool...and the price could not be beat.
Attached Thumbnails warping rotors on a g35-azc-bbk.jpg   warping rotors on a g35-azc-bbk-2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
da mayor

SS brake lines will help too on a OEM set up
Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
lowerlattitude

Default warped

thanks for your input, for about 600 I MIGHT be buying myself insurance against the warpage ( my car is an 03 ), for 1300, seems like a sure thing if I go with a BBk that has bigger thicker rotors for better heat disappation AND offers the cool floating look. Good points to ponder.

B