Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

G35 Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003 | 12:55 PM
Mean Gene

Question G35 Audio Question

Guys - I'm new to this site but was an Electronics Moderator on the ClubLexus website for 2+ years. In fact, that's where I met Marcus ( TXSTYLE ). I still have my modded GS4 ( the wife's car ) but I'm about to take delivery on MY G coupe. I've used the "Search" feature ( it works better than my old CL version ) but can't find any info about the speaker sizes of the G35. I am trying to get components together before I get the car so I can attack the project ASAP. Not looking to compete again like in the Lexi but a simple speaker/amp upgrade using DynAudio & possibly Macintosh. As U can see, I'm looking for serious SQ over SPL. I estimate that 1" tweets will fit into the A pillars & the front doors can probably hold a 6.5" driver while I've got my work
cut out for me in the trunk with those Bose 6x9's ( don't really want to cut the rear deck in this install ). So what's in the rear? The grilles look like they hide 4" or 5.25" drivers - how close am I? Any input ya'll can share will help me alot but if not, I'll go ahead & tear the car apart anyway to Dynamat things. Thanks in advance & I'm glad to be here!
Old 09-11-2003 | 01:00 PM
noel48

Have you tried www.g35driver.com?
Old 09-11-2003 | 01:53 PM
Mean Gene

Smile Thanks!!

Noel - Thanks for the heads-up! I did not know about that site when I posted the question. FYI - the rear doors also hold a 6.5" speaker & the g35Driver members warned of only about 62-63mm of available mounting depth. Current plans call for replacing the 6x9's with dual 8" woofers ( probably Diamond Audio or 7" Focal Xperts ) & maybe using the rear door Dyns as midbass drivers. Anyway, time to get to work on things!!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 09-11-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2003 | 02:30 PM
Tigerstylez

I believe the ones in the back are also 6.5 just like the front, however they are shallow. I put in Diamond Audio M3s in the front and had 2 left over to go in the back also from a previous install, but they were too deep for the slot so i left the Bose int eh back as with the placement the stage is all upfront anyway. The back deck are 6x9, and I chose to just remove them and replaced the grills with no speaker in them to act as a vent for the 2 12s in the trunk. The set-up seems to have turned out nicely. I still have some tuning to do and to get my XM dropped in, but I am pleased with the sound quality.

Hope this help...I believe it is all accurate...
Old 09-11-2003 | 04:39 PM
Mean Gene

Thumbs up Again, Thanks!

T - Thanks for your input & experience. I figured that the 62-63 mm mounting depth was for the rears so your data just validates it. I suppose I could leave the rear Bose speakers alone for rear fill but since I don't plan on having many backseat passengers, I'm looking at doing a similar audio system as I had in my GS400 ( except w/o kickpanels ). I had a full Focal setup there w/ 6.5" & 1" tweets in the kicks, a 7" midrange driver in the front doors & an 8" dedicated midbass in the back doors ( plenty of room there in the Lex ). I really don't care to have an enclosure in the G so I may look into a single 10" or 12" infinite baffle sub for the bass setup. It's still in the planning stages so keep the ideas coming!!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 09-11-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2003 | 05:36 PM
Tigerstylez

how would you set up the midbass int eh back? I am curious...since I left my 6x9s open for vents and left the back 6.5s alone, I still ahve room to play.

I wanted the sound but did not want to take up my entire trunk either though, so i removed my spare tire and dropped my 2 12s (only went 12s because i had them left over from my previous vehicle, a Toyota Sequoia) down there and then all the wasted space in the corners is where my amps and what not sit and where my XM will go also. If you pop the trunk it looks totally factory and stock...it raised teh trunk floor maybe 1 inch. I love it. And if I drop the back seat down the the sound is superb IMO. let me know what you end up doing, I love to hear ideas and see how people do it...I am willing to get some pics also as soon as I can get a camera to snap them with....will try to get some when I do the XM install when i have all the enclosures exposed...
Old 09-13-2003 | 06:19 AM
Mean Gene

Talking Not Sure - YET!!

T - In my GS4 I had a RF Symmetry ( outstanding piece of electronics, IMHO! ) so it was easy to just route all the speakers through it & set the EQ curves & crossover points according to the desired sound. I simply crossed the 8" Diamonds over around 48 Hz so they reproduced some snappy midbass. I had dual 12" Power HX2's in a sealed trunk enclosure to handle the sub tones ( actually too much for my middle-aged ears!! ). I normally turned those off for everyday listening as I had switches on every amp in the system & the Diamonds provided all the low notes I needed.
Anyway, I was thinking about using the 5.25" Focal sub ( 5WS ) in the back but I'm afraid that, based on the data I've gathered here & on gsDriver.com, that it's too deep for that pocket ( looks like 2 3/8" max ). I'm still going to tear things down to look for myself in a few days & I'll post back at that time.
Old 09-15-2003 | 03:28 PM
G35_GT7

would any know if 6 3/4 speaker will if in the front door and back panel
Old 09-15-2003 | 03:54 PM
Mean Gene

Question Who makes It?

I'm not familar with a 6.75" driver ( by any manufacturer that I know of ). I thought only Focal made unusual sizes. Their 7" midwoofer has an advertised mounting depth of 2 3/8" so I suppose it's possible for a 6.75" driver to fit there. I plan to tear down the G next weekend ( if work allows ) to get my own measurements & I'll post what I discover. I was hoping that another member had done this homework to save me the trouble. You see, I probably had the first big install on a Lexus GS400 ( back in early 1999 ) so I tore things completely apart & posted the data on the ClubLexus website for everyone to benefit from. I'm afraid that when I get things apart that the old audio competition bug will hit me again!