Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

New Suspension: TEIN FLEX w/ EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 12:20 AM
AXA_G35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Suspension: TEIN FLEX w/ EDFC

what a difference!!!

i just got the suspension installed at RPM Motorworks in Fullerton, CA.

i thought the stock sport suspension was great...this is a difference of night and day...all i had to say on my way home was 'woah'....

EDFC is definitely worth the extra money...it's a great gadget to have for sure.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:24 PM
DragonGcoupe

*piczzzzzzzz.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I'd hope you'd notice a difference, LOL, spring rates are around 200% stiffer for the FLEX system on these cars vs oem.
(672/672 vs. 314/342) One can order a JDM flex that has slightly softer spring rates and dampner valving (same as original USDM FLEX rates 560/560).

Coupes do not have a sport suspension, that is a term applied to the sedan only, all coupes ride on the same suspension (from job one).
Old 06-07-2004, 10:44 AM
AXA_G35

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Yeah I'd hope you'd notice a difference, LOL, spring rates are around 200% stiffer for the FLEX system on these cars vs oem.
(672/672 vs. 314/342) One can order a JDM flex that has slightly softer spring rates and dampner valving (same as original USDM FLEX rates 560/560).

Coupes do not have a sport suspension, that is a term applied to the sedan only, all coupes ride on the same suspension (from job one).
HMMM....correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the coupes had two different suspensions from the factory, no? sport vs. non-sport(as in the base auto)....
Old 06-07-2004, 03:30 PM
AXA_G35

Default here are some pictures of the suspension

[url]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/620000-620999/620720_2_full.jpg[url]

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...720_3_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...720_4_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...720_7_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...720_6_full.jpg

Last edited by AXA_G35; 06-07-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:53 AM
jaerian

Default Re: here are some pictures of the suspension

Hoon,

Man those brakes look tiny!!

I think i might get the same setup ans sell the hypermax setup.
Nice!!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, all coupes, regardless of how they are optioned or equipped, have the same oem suspension. Only the sedan see's the use of a different suspension's as in sport and non sport.

03 Z springs are the same springs that 03/04 coupes use. Revised 04 Z suspension's are said to use slightly stiffer springs, (unconfirmed until I get my hands on a set).
Old 06-14-2004, 09:39 AM
riffster

Thumbs up

I'm a bit late chiming in on this thread but I just thought I'd contribute a bit to this excellent forum.

I have Tein Flex installed with EDFC as well on my coupe and it makes the car -- a different car. It handles up there with any supercar - and with proper corner-weighting and reductions in unsprung weight, you will be handling better than any sports car in its' weight class (and even some that are lighter.) My coupe has been lowered as part of the coilover install and stiffer polyurethane bushings were installed on the stock sway bars.

At the softest setting the car rides a bit harsher than a stock coupe, at the hardest setting you had better be close friends with a dentist because your fillings will be flying out!

I track and AutoX my coupe so I decided to change the scale to a 32-point one instead of the default 16-point scale for adjusting stiffness.

EDFC Pre-Programmed Settings - My Coupe

Setting 1: Front 5, Rear 10
Setting 2: Front 10, Rear 15
Setting 3: Front 24, Rear 32

I use setting 1 for track and AutoX events on good, even pavement that has some grip.

I use setting 2 for track and AutoX events on not so good pavement. I occasionally may go to setting 2 if I find that setting 1 has caused some 'skating' even though the track or AutoX course was good.

Of course you can manually adjust the settings at any time - unless you have locked the display (which I do while running the track since it wouldn't be smart to have the settings get accidentally kicked to a softer setting while apexing The Kink at RoadAmerica! )

Setting 3 is for the street - sometimes I even bump up the front to 28 manually if the road is that bad.

Two minor things I don't like about the EDFC. First, it isn't all that easy to find a good place to install it in the coupe if you are a big guy (and I am) and you don't want to cut up the dash to fit the unit in. Second, the LCD's can be a pain to see at night if you are not viewing them head on.

Fortunately 95% of my track or AutoX comp is done in the daytime. When I'm on the street at night, I just sometimes leave the thing under my seat since I have it installed on the side of the console with velcro. That way I can hide it away from curious (and sinister) eyes when it is parked out in the open.

Overall - if you don't mind a bit stiffer ride, the handling improvement is awesome and you HAVE to get it!

My experience at RoadAmerica confirmed the handling improvement - the Carousel was nasty for the stock coupe to handle, but with Flex/EDFC on setting 1 I was pulling on EVERYONE (except the Radicals) on the Carousel. I would estimate my skidpad rating is at or even over 1.00 G's now.

Be ready for the price - you're going to pay around or over 2 grand for the combo. Hopefully the cost will come down when Tein releases a rumored upgraded Flex/EDFC system with in-cabin height adjustment and 'lux' mode.

- Riff
Old 06-14-2004, 11:00 AM
AXA_G35

Default Re: Re: here are some pictures of the suspension

Originally posted by jaerian
Hoon,

Man those brakes look tiny!!

I think i might get the same setup ans sell the hypermax setup.
Nice!!

bahahahahahahahahah!!!

hey man....wish i was sporting the monster brakes like you have on your car but....i'd rather keep my eyeballs in my sockets..
Old 06-14-2004, 02:41 PM
lucidazn

Default Re: Re: Re: here are some pictures of the suspension

Link to purchase this set up? Thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 05:20 PM
romanwarrior

Originally posted by DragonGcoupe
*piczzzzzzzz.
I think it's overkill if you would not be using the car for hardcore driving on the track. I bought the Type Basic after driving my friend's G35 Coupe and tought that it was enough for me for both street and recreational track use. I'm glad that the Type Flex and the EDFC works to your advantage. Have fun.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:00 AM
bwzabodyn

That's definitely my "dream" setup... but for a more cost-effective approach, I'm going to go with RS*R springs for the 350Z and Hotchkis Sways (about $500 combined) - after the stock shocks wear out, I will then upgrade to a full set of Koni's...

But if I had a spare $2K lying around right now, that would definitely be on the top of my list...
Old 06-16-2004, 03:03 PM
AXA_G35

Originally posted by romanwarrior
I think it's overkill if you would not be using the car for hardcore driving on the track. I bought the Type Basic after driving my friend's G35 Coupe and tought that it was enough for me for both street and recreational track use. I'm glad that the Type Flex and the EDFC works to your advantage. Have fun.

The Basic dampers are fine too....but i wanted something with more adjustability(EDFC) and i do go to track some times...altho work's been getting in the way of fun....grrrrrrrr.....
Old 06-21-2004, 09:58 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Question

hey hoon, this isn't you, is it?

n1cK!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:33 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AXA_G35
The Basic dampers are fine too....but i wanted something with more adjustability(EDFC) and i do go to track some times...altho work's been getting in the way of fun....grrrrrrrr.....
AXA:
Come to the track this Friday and try them out there!
Speedventures is hosting a day at the California Speedway in Fontana/Riverside, just a short jump up the Freeway from Irvine.
The course is going to be the 2.8 mile "Roval", the interior road course, with a blast down the full front straight, then around the 14 degree banked turns 1 and 2 and half way down the back straight....to a chicane with two 90 degree turns. Perfect chance to really give the flex coil a test. You do have to play hookey...but you get about two hours of track time for $280. Five sessions of about 25 minutes each. All you need is a helmet, and some cojones for doing 140 into turn 1. I have run several events with these gents and they do a good job. If you come, I will be there in the white coupe, number 03.
Cheers.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:44 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

there's an issue of using the flex with the edfc. jason at performance nissan can explain this much better than i, but it seems that the shaft is too small for the oil to travel to for quick adjustments with the edfc. jason, if you're reading this, please explain like you explained it with me

n1cK!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:18 AM
AXA_G35

Originally posted by Eagle1
AXA:
Come to the track this Friday and try them out there!
Speedventures is hosting a day at the California Speedway in Fontana/Riverside, just a short jump up the Freeway from Irvine.
The course is going to be the 2.8 mile "Roval", the interior road course, with a blast down the full front straight, then around the 14 degree banked turns 1 and 2 and half way down the back straight....to a chicane with two 90 degree turns. Perfect chance to really give the flex coil a test. You do have to play hookey...but you get about two hours of track time for $280. Five sessions of about 25 minutes each. All you need is a helmet, and some cojones for doing 140 into turn 1. I have run several events with these gents and they do a good job. If you come, I will be there in the white coupe, number 03.
Cheers.
man....i wish i could be there...

there's noway i'm missing work on Friday.