Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Pics of roll cage, Koyo radiator, Sparco seats and harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 05:43 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pics of roll cage, Koyo radiator, Sparco seats and harness

Here are some pics of my latest modifications:
1. Koyo high capacity radiator

2. Custom welded six point roll bars, with removable harness bar using 3/8" detent pins

3. Sparco Milano seats, with four point pull down harness and bolt in attachment.

Enjoy.

http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00256.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00257.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00259.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00260.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00263.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00266.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00267.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00289.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00292.jpg
http://www.g-owners.com/pictures_ima...s/DSC00294.jpg
Old 11-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Giovanni B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, btw, who makes the roll bar and hood? -Giovanni
Old 11-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Eagle1

Originally posted by Giovanni B
Looks good, btw, who makes the roll bar and hood? -Giovanni
Giovanni:
Gary Castillo in Lake Forest, Ca. did the roll bar set up.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Dragonstyle

nice roll cage....
Old 11-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Import-Tooner

Not feeling the hood but the seats and the roll cage looks way good.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Wicked_Limitz

nice interior!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Eagle1

Originally posted by Import-Tooner
Not feeling the hood but the seats and the roll cage looks way good.
Yes, I agree, I do not particularly care for the look of the hood. It is carbon fiber painted with factory paint. But the snout scoop at the front of the pressure area takes a lot of cold air across the block and the vents draw the heat off and direct it towards the A pillars (not the windscreen). It really works and since heat is enemy #2 (weight is enemy #1) in the arena of speed, it was a functional trade off that I was willing to try. The limited slip differential or lightweight flywheel are mods that involve trade offs as well, and I am well pleased with them. But mods that have aesthetic as well as performance compromises are more difficult in some respects. There is a good chance that I will pop the original hood back on in the near future to keep the stealth look that I prefer. Now that the high capacity oil pan and the bigger radiator are in and functioning, the venting may not be quite as important.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:51 AM
bhamvett

Your car looks great!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:13 AM
AXA_G35

Default Re: Pics of roll cage, Koyo radiator, Sparco seats and harness

Hi Ed!! It's Andrew..nice pictures!!!

Hope to see you again in person later. Take care!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Orlando333

why?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Eagle1

Originally posted by Orlando333
why?
Fair question. One that philosophers have struggled with for thousands of years, but fair nonetheless.

The car is a hybrid of sorts, a car with daily driver civility, yet capable of aggressive track performance, because I like to take it to the track. (Road course, not drag).

The roll bar, harness and performance seat is to keep you glued down while cornering so that you can steer and work the pedals with more fluidity...otherwise you are fighting the g force and hanging on to the wheel to brace yourself such that your movements are compromised, and thus your control of the car. And, for safety, if you roll with only a harness you might get your head and neck crushed if the roof caves in, so a roll bar is necessary to better protect you in that hopefully unlikely eventuality.

The high capacity radiator is to better cool the engine which, when under the load of repeated acceleration encountered on a track experience, will generate significant heat gain that can strain the ability of the stock cooling system to keep up. This is especially true with the forced induction (supercharger) putting more heat out due to the increased hp.

That is the logical part. Now the real answer to "why"..."because I can."

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:58 PM
AXA_G35

Originally posted by Eagle1
That is the logical part. Now the real answer to "why"..."because I can."

Cheers.

that would have been more than suffice.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Orlando333

Thanks for the explanation. but why not just buy a porsche, with a roll cage; by the time you did all the upgrades. my calculation of your upgrades puts you confortably in to buying a used Turbo, with racing suspension and brakes; of course you would have to put in the seats and roll cage, but the seats on my porsche are ****

also if you live in California, how can you pass carb inspection with that procharger
Old 11-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Eagle1

Originally posted by Orlando333
Thanks for the explanation. but why not just buy a porsche, with a roll cage; by the time you did all the upgrades. my calculation of your upgrades puts you confortably in to buying a used Turbo, with racing suspension and brakes; of course you would have to put in the seats and roll cage, but the seats on my porsche are ****

also if you live in California, how can you pass carb inspection with that procharger
Already had a turbo Porsche. Loved it. But you get some "push back" from a lot of folks with the car, and I did not dig that. Also wanted more of a "sleeper", so I took a car with good bones and went to work with it. Totally personal preference kind of thing. Made it into something completely unique and different and just the way I decided it should be. Maybe next time I would not do this. But for now, it is fun.

It has a CARB plate, and it runs within the emission guidelines. A friendly inspector will pass it on the visual as long as it runs clean to the required specs. Otherwise, you have to take it off, retune it, test it to pass, put the sc back on, and retune it. Every other year. We shall see what happens when it is time. In the meanwhile, I just enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Logikal_Disasta

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GUAGE CLUSTER WHEN THE NAVI TV GOES?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:16 PM
shiva

Eagle1, I respect everything you are doing..Even so, I can't help but think that you would have been better off by starting with a more performance oriented car. By now, you must have spent close $25K on your car. Imagine an S2000, Evo, 'Vette, or even a 350Z with that sort of buildup?

I'm not knocking what you've done - I am just a little confused. I mean, your interest in motorsport is far greater than mine, and even I can't stand how heavy this car is.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Eagle1

Originally posted by shivak
Eagle1, I respect everything you are doing..Even so, I can't help but think that you would have been better off by starting with a more performance oriented car. By now, you must have spent close $25K on your car. Imagine an S2000, Evo, 'Vette, or even a 350Z with that sort of buildup?

I'm not knocking what you've done - I am just a little confused. I mean, your interest in motorsport is far greater than mine, and even I can't stand how heavy this car is.
Very good observation. There is no question that if I want raw perf out of the box there are better ways to go about it. But I did not. First off, I actually use the car as a daily driver, and I take three kids to school, so the back seat is necessary. That means a sedan or coupe. The back seat in this car is useable for folks at 5'6" or less. (And by the way, the car pool line LOVES it when I come in on approach with the supercharger winding down). A vette is a lovely car, but not the look I want. Used to have a turbo Porsche, did not want another one, and frankly, you get a lot of bad vibes back with that car. Did not want the attention, so more of a sleeper was the ideal. The evo and Sti are just too cheap for my taste. I really was looking at the E55 AMG and M5 as my other options.

And then I saw the G35. Analyzed the FMS layout and the powerplant potential. Concluded I could, for less overall money, have a "sleeper" with very credible performance. And still have it be street civil and largely unnoticed. IF I wanted to go more aggressive on performance, a street supercar, then yes, I would go vette, viper, s2000, etc. with built motor and some other goodies. But I did not want to do that. This is not a compromise for other people necessarily. For the same dough, you can definitely get more "go". But for the combination, of street manners and track "teeth", this is pretty hard to top. (IMHO, of course!).
Old 11-21-2004, 08:46 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle nice job on the car !!!!! Screw the guys asking the dumb question of WHY ?...If they are asking WHY? They have no idea of what it is to drive something different or are jealous .If we have the cash and love driving performance cars WHY NOT !!!! My car is a total sleeper..Ive quieted down the BOV and hid all the gauges . So looking at it you couldnt tell Im making 420hp to the crank . 12.8@108mph...I can run with a new C6 Vett . And when the engine build is done....who knows...waiting for the out come
Old 11-21-2004, 09:16 AM
2003z

and as far as performance on track, I think the G might behave better than the Z. Steve Millen raced 2+2 Z32s rather than the 2 seater because the longer wheelbase gave a little better balance to the car.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Eagle1

Originally posted by Logikal_Disasta
WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GUAGE CLUSTER WHEN THE NAVI TV GOES?
I sketched out what I wanted, then took it to a custom stereo place that does molds for high end cars, Automotive Entertainment on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica, Ca. They do a lot of cars for the LA Auto Show, etc etc. They did it for me, as well as the plate the went into the glove box for the four gauges there. I was going to do a flip type thing, but finally settled on removing the lid and putting the molded addition on instead. The glove box slaps down when you want the gauges in there hidden. The V-1 in the ashtray does the same, and the EDFC for the Tein Flex Coil is under the roll top cubby by the hand brake. With one circular clockwise motion you slide the cubby, push the V-1 closed and shut the glovebox.

Quick Reply: Pics of roll cage, Koyo radiator, Sparco seats and harness