Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Crawford Cast Plenum - Info, pics, links, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 04:21 PM
G3po

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plenum

But to clarify the sound made by the V5 is not my imagination. It is very noticeable, with my windows up , I can hear it very my Borla exhaust. With the hood open , V5 is very noticeable , all it take s to shut it up is putting your hand on the "drum-like top".
Old 01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: plenum

Originally posted by G3po
But to clarify the sound made by the V5 is not my imagination. It is very noticeable, with my windows up , I can hear it very my Borla exhaust. With the hood open , V5 is very noticeable , all it take s to shut it up is putting your hand on the "drum-like top".
Very good...

ANY modification you do to ANY car to gain performance, will sacrifice comfort... period. It's the nature of the beast, and I'm glad you understand that.

Rest assured what I'm telling you is accurate about this new one, as it breaks the norm being an all new custom cast piece.

Your enthusiasm ensures the success of our products!!!!

Last edited by PhoenixINX; 01-14-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
screaminz
Banned

Thats funny because I sold my Kinetix V4 because the noise insdie the cabin. I am surely interested in this new plenum if I can find another decent strut bar and the noise isn't bad from the cabin area.. Any pricing info yet or dyno charts???
screaminz
Old 01-14-2005, 04:35 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: plenum

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Very good...

ANY modification you do to ANY car to gain performance, will sacrifice comfort... period. It's the nature of the beast, and I'm glad you understand that.

Rest assured what I'm telling you is accurate about this new one, as it breaks the norm being an all new custom cast piece.

Yeh , on rare occasions there are total win-wins, performance improvement with no obvious downside. For example, so far I would put my UR pulleys and 350EVO sways into that category, everything else gave up some cush.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:03 PM
roneski

Originally posted by VandyZ

So how does everyone think it looks?

BTW, this is the new standard "krinkle" powder coat finish. At the moment we dont have any color options.
My first impression was that it kinda looks like a cast iron frying pan. I'd probably have to see it in person though. Not that it really matters, as long as it makes power.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
zillinois

Very cool. Lots of new stuff coming out for the Z. Any pricing yet?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:20 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for being off topic, but I'd like to see Doug develop a big heavy duty stroker kit that makes big power then work with technosquare for a program to make it work.

new plenum looks awesome.

Crawford parts rule
Old 01-14-2005, 07:38 PM
VandyZ

I think the pricing will make everyone happy! Best of all no core required!

Aftermarket STB will be required. There are several options here . . .not just ours!

Since pics have been posted I will ask Doug if we can post close up pictures of the powdercoat. It looks stellar in person.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:07 PM
JAMESZ

Wow didn't know this was happening.

Congratulations on the new stuff guys. Guess I will get to see the Plenum in person tomorrow.

To bad my Z is down right now...
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 PM
DBZCat

I LOVE THE LOOK!! I think it looks great and is exactly what I have been waiting for! so when can I get one?
Old 01-14-2005, 08:39 PM
zzzya

I'm glad everything finally worked out!! I still wouldn't trade my polished one for this one though, plus I personally love the sound of the original models
Old 01-15-2005, 12:02 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Looks nice! The black coating just made me think of something...Would there be any benefits if you coated the plenum with jethot? I would assume it'll run cooler which would equal better performance and it'll look just as nice since it'll also be black. What do you guys think?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:26 AM
maximumsportZ

Crawford guys!

I'm ready to order one!.. When can I place my order??
Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 AM
axxizzer

make a lightweight plastic one and you have sold one to me!

EDIT: Also, it would be the bitchinest if you made an exhaust and cold air intake

Full intake/exhaust from crawford

I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Last edited by axxizzer; 01-15-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:02 AM
randyshemin@comcast.

Will that fit my 240Z? How about my Sentra? Oh...never mind!

Saw it in person yesterday. Outstanding Doug! Another nice piece for the 350! Congrats!
Attached Thumbnails Crawford Cast Plenum - Info, pics, links, etc.-img_1402-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 AM
FairladyZ

Paint those two screws black, it will look so much cleaner.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:03 AM
FritzMan

Default Re: Re: plenum

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Very good...

The sound/growl alone made me ditch my Kinetix unit. Good to HEAR that there's a new one coming offering the best of both worlds.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:04 AM
VandyZ

Paint those two screws black, it will look so much cleaner.
Thats how it is on my car, and you're right it looks good!

make a lightweight plastic one and you have sold one to me!
Sorry but this will never happen. The plastic will not hold up over time. There is too much flex over the surface area.

Looks nice! The black coating just made me think of something...Would there be any benefits if you coated the plenum with jethot? I would assume it'll run cooler which would equal better performance and it'll look just as nice since it'll also be black. What do you guys think?
The black krinkle powdercoat does help keep temps down. Jethot would be a little better, but not for the price. You could always request a raw piece and send it off to jethot.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:18 AM
pimp1911

Looks good. Will the hp numbers be comparable to the V5. If so I am considering making a purchase.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:55 AM
Darthvol

Default Re: plenum

Originally posted by G3po
You may want Doug to take a look (listen ) at that plenum. It may not be silent, but I have a roadster and the complete Crawford package, as well as the Borla, so believe me, I know what's making noise. The plenum is by FAR quieter than either the headers (LOVE the whooshing noise on hard acceleration/shifting gears) or Borla w/Doug's high flow cats as the lead-in.

Also, the sound of my V5 is exactly the same, whether or not I place my hand on the top. Remember that the V5 is handmade and welded, so every piece will not be EXACTLY the same, thus my suggestion you have someone look at it (preferably Doug) to be sure yours doesn't have some kind of a problem.

Yes, I know what opinions are like, but IMHO, any piece of plastic crap covering up a beautiful engine is a sorry shame, and I know Doug feels the same. In fact, he told me the first thing he did when he got his first 350 was to throw the plastic engine cover in the garbage. I just don't get the trend toward putting it on every new car made; it looks like the fake washboard stomach on Val Kilmer's Batsuit in the umpteenth Batman movie.

Finally, I can't help but chuckle at the complaints about plenum noise in general from several different posters, in contrast with the posts of numerous folks who just can't get their car loud enough, e.g., threads like "Who has loudest exh?" and the like. When I was trying to decide on an exhaust, I even remember seeing one post from a guy who wanted his car to be so loud that people "will think the end of the world is coming" when he drives by. To each his own, but love all my Crawford stuff.

Also, wifey is now interested in new plenum for her roadster. And Doug, add me to the list of folks potentially interested in any "trade-up" program you might start.

Quick Reply: Crawford Cast Plenum - Info, pics, links, etc.