Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Crawford Cast Plenum - Info, pics, links, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 08:49 AM
ZinMiami

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zzzya
Crawford is about performance. For one their strut bar is better than stock and 2 they will not compromise the design of the plenum just so you can put a piece of plastic over it. I'm sure if the design allowed for the stock strut bar and engine cover without restricting airflow, then they would do it. I just don't see how it would be possible though given the space under the hood.
The Kinetix and the current crawford dyno out at about the same gains based on vast info on ths board. Kinetix preserves the cover and the bar. It's not about compromise it's about engineering. It's easier to design this by excluding the 2 items from the design criteria thats all. I am sure that with more work and some creative engineering Crawford could achieve power and asthetics.

Now that aside it does look like a great piece of work, much better since the core exchange is no longer required. I wouldn't mind needing a different STB, but I just don't like the look of the engine bay without the engine cover. It's just a matter of personal taste thats all. Not knocking the quality or effect of this product.

Last edited by ZinMiami; 01-15-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:04 AM
maximumsportZ

No one yet has confirm when we can order one.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Darthvol

Originally posted by maximumsportZ
No one yet has confirm when we can order one.
Stay tuned. Doug & Adam can correct me, but I think they're VERY close on this one. Looks NIIIIIICE in person.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:18 AM
maximumsportZ

Originally posted by Darthvol
Stay tuned. Doug & Adam can correct me, but I think they're VERY close on this one. Looks NIIIIIICE in person.
Thanks, I cant wait. If these a list ADD ME!
Old 01-15-2005, 10:27 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless something something off the wall happens... expect it in weeks.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:27 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by maximumsportZ
Thanks, I cant wait. If these a list ADD ME!
Good talking to you earler...

CLEAN ride!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 10:35 AM
maximumsportZ

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Good talking to you earler...

CLEAN ride!!!
Thanks man! Thanks for your help.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:51 AM
DBZCat

Consider my name ALREADY ON THE LIST! I can't wait!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:44 PM
o snap its eric

whats so different between this new one and the older versions?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by o snap its eric
whats so different between this new one and the older versions?
No welds.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Sins4u33

ok...soo lemme get this straight...this thread already got to 3 pages.... :-p i hate reading this much especially since i missed it in the beggining...ok does it work well with FI? how much are we looking at to spend? and also do we have to send you our OEM plenum to you to get this done??? i hope not..im looking to keap my oem plenum, even though i have the kinetix right now...it seems to be holding up under boost, and the sound is glorious, im looking to expand it possible and reinforce it....lemme know though doug or whoever at Crawford who can answer my question. Why not you look into start making a lower plenum? i was thinking of porting the lower plenum....i even want to just take the lower plenum and take my dremel too it hehe but seriously...what will the pricing be on this and what are the gains on the butt-dyno?? you know this community compares everything to dynos i wanna know a bit more before i make my mind on it...but i would love to take a look at whats on the bottom...if i could ask more pictures would be great thanks guys. Looking great as always crawford, you guys know your **** ;-)

Ben Yavari
Altered Atmosphere
Old 01-15-2005, 01:06 PM
aalzuhair

Does the plenum have any sort of channels in it, does it direct airflow?

Az
Old 01-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by Sins4u33
ok...soo lemme get this straight...this thread already got to 3 pages.... :-p i hate reading this much especially since i missed it in the beggining...ok does it work well with FI? how much are we looking at to spend? and also do we have to send you our OEM plenum to you to get this done??? i hope not..im looking to keap my oem plenum, even though i have the kinetix right now...it seems to be holding up under boost, and the sound is glorious, im looking to expand it possible and reinforce it....lemme know though doug or whoever at Crawford who can answer my question. Why not you look into start making a lower plenum? i was thinking of porting the lower plenum....i even want to just take the lower plenum and take my dremel too it hehe but seriously...what will the pricing be on this and what are the gains on the butt-dyno?? you know this community compares everything to dynos i wanna know a bit more before i make my mind on it...but i would love to take a look at whats on the bottom...if i could ask more pictures would be great thanks guys. Looking great as always crawford, you guys know your **** ;-)

Ben Yavari
Altered Atmosphere
AFAIK there isn't a need for a core exchange since it's a cast plenum.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Sins4u33

lets see a pic of the inside of the plenum...if we could also still curious if its good with FI?

Ben
Old 01-15-2005, 01:44 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by ZinMiami
The Kinetix and the current crawford dyno out at about the same gains based on vast info on ths board. Kinetix preserves the cover and the bar. It's not about compromise it's about engineering. It's easier to design this by excluding the 2 items from the design criteria thats all. I am sure that with more work and some creative engineering Crawford could achieve power and asthetics.
I disagree. The two might perform the same on a slightly modded car, but I would put my money on the Crawford for highly modded cars with FI, or NA cars with intake, cams, ported heads, headers and exhaust mods. Flow bench testing would resolve this discussion but I do not know if either plenum has been flow bench tested independently. The underside design of the Crawford is clean without ridges which makes me think it would flow bench better. When it comes to maximizing air flow, every piece matters.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:18 PM
VandyZ

This is a cast molded piece based directly on the current plenum (often called V5). It will require no core return. As always, it will work well with FI or NA.

Modification of the lower plenum was tested, results were not desirable. The lower plenum is well designed by Nissan. Not to say it cant be made better, but there becomes a point to where you want to maximize performance and minimize cost. In my opinion (but I am not the expert) you cannot redesign the lower plenum, R&D it, mold it, produce it, and then try to sell it for the minimal gains that might be made. The upper plenum is the problem with the intake design and that is what Doug focused on.

For the people who keep asking about price, Doug is still working out the tooling costs and the machining costs. From his initial figures, I think everyone will happy. Trust me as soon as he knows one of us will let everyone know. As far as a list goes, you can call Doug and put your name down, or just wait till everything is final. On that note for those of you on the list for the current offering, I think Doug is close enough to hold off and wait for the cast pieces to finalize.

To my knowledge there will be no trade in specials. Sorry. If you really want a new cast one you might try to sell yours in the classifieds, and get a better value than what Doug could offer.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:59 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: plenum

You may want Doug to take a look (listen ) at that plenum. It may not be silent, but I have a roadster and the complete Crawford package, as well as the Borla, so believe me, I know what's making noise. The plenum is by FAR quieter than either the headers (LOVE the whooshing noise on hard acceleration/shifting gears) or Borla w/Doug's high flow cats as the lead-in.

Also, the sound of my V5 is exactly the same, whether or not I place my hand on the top. Remember that the V5 is handmade and welded, so every piece will not be EXACTLY the same, thus my suggestion you have someone look at it (preferably Doug) to be sure yours doesn't have some kind of a problem.

Yes, I know what opinions are like, but IMHO, any piece of plastic crap covering up a beautiful engine is a sorry shame, and I know Doug feels the same. In fact, he told me the first thing he did when he got his first 350 was to throw the plastic engine cover in the garbage. I just don't get the trend toward putting it on every new car made; it looks like the fake washboard stomach on Val Kilmer's Batsuit in the umpteenth Batman movie.

Finally, I can't help but chuckle at the complaints about plenum noise in general from several different posters, in contrast with the posts of numerous folks who just can't get their car loud enough, e.g., threads like "Who has loudest exh?" and the like. When I was trying to decide on an exhaust, I even remember seeing one post from a guy who wanted his car to be so loud that people "will think the end of the world is coming" when he drives by. To each his own, but love all my Crawford stuff.

Also, wifey is now interested in new plenum for her roadster. And Doug, add me to the list of folks potentially interested in any "trade-up" program you might start.
There is nothin wrong with my V5 or it's install, I have heard at least 3 diff Zs and G with the V5 and they "all" notably magnified intake and valvle train noise. Some peeps like some don't. I like the gains but not the noise. I will be upgradeing either to the new cast verison or the APS soon and will part with my V5, sigh.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:28 PM
KPierson
Banned

I got a chance to stop by Crawford last week (we were working in Nashville). They had a few of the cast plenums sitting around. They look and feel great!
Old 01-15-2005, 07:58 PM
screaminz
Banned

When will these new plenums be released and what about posting dyno charts?
screaminz
Old 01-16-2005, 01:37 AM
o snap its eric

so same performance gains? Is it also lighter?

Quick Reply: Crawford Cast Plenum - Info, pics, links, etc.