Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

High flow catalytic converters: Is it a MUST TO HAVE mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alang
Isn't there a federal law that says you can't replace your factory cats prior to 50K miles? You have to make sure your factory cats are "damamged (cough cough)" in order to replace them.

I doubt it would ever come up, but does anyone know for sure, and what the reasoning behind the law was?
yes you are right....its against the law and your taking a chance...you can only replace your cats with oem if they are damaged or need to be changed out

even though most hi-flow cats are carb certified and will pass sniffer emissions testing...it is illegal to replace them...but only IF you get caught
Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Changing your OEM cats to ANY other cats is illegal period even if they pass the sniffer/visual test. You can only get another one if the OEM cats are no longer made/available. But this obviously hasn't stopped anyone from doing it anyway. It's merely the "it's legal until I get caught" kind of thing which you can easily say to just about every mod out there without a CARB number, DOT approved, or state OFF ROAD USE ONLY.

As far as the "must have" question of the cats...I wouldn't consider it as a "must have". Like many other components to your car, one piece simply supplements another. It will make your overall exhaust setup more complete which benifits in better response & in an increase of HP/TQ. One obvious benefit if you change the cats of our car is flow & weight since the OEM cats are essentially 4 total cats & it's massive in comparison to aftermarket ones! This is the same for our Y-Pipes which looks like a freakin tank! Overall, what has been found most restrictive about our OEM exhaust/intake setup is our Y-Pipes, Cats, Headers, & Plenum (front cylinders).

Hope this helps.

- James

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 03-24-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:16 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alrite..since everyone has it, i will order one too. hehehe..Thanks guys

btw James, the body shop that paints my interior and roll bar finally has some open spot (since they are freaking book up) $1000 for 4 pieces. Will drop off next monday. Let see how they turn out and you can go there too.

Last edited by Bubble; 03-25-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:36 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Tony@Performance
I am using the crawfords and have never had one issue with them. they do not rasp, and they have not had any issues with breaking or cracking. Also, they fit much better than some others out there and they are lighter than stock, so that's always a plus.
PM me if you want to go with crawfords, i'll take care of a good price for you

I am interested in the crawfords. Just curious, how is it better for me to order from you guys versus just ordering direct from Crawford ? Please PM me with your good price Thanks.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:34 AM
baron

I just installed my Kinetix HF cats and Pro-1 y-pipe. The Kinetix cats are lighter than the stock cats by like 15lbs overall, and new y-pipe is 5lbs lighter.

I didn't get a chance to test out the car yet very much, but engines seems to rev quicker above 5k rpm, and sound is more solid overall.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by Tony@Performance
I've never heard of such a law, but there may in fact be one.....
I'm sure that something like that would be enacted to help ensure that the cats on newer cars 1)stay on the cars, and 2)to act as a deterrent to changing them out needlessly.

There is such a federal law as mandated by the EPA for all vehicles to be used on public roadways. That's why there is always a disclaimer on high flow cats that they are for "off road use only". (yeah, right, sure)
Old 04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by baron
I just installed my Kinetix HF cats and Pro-1 y-pipe. The Kinetix cats are lighter than the stock cats by like 15lbs overall, and new y-pipe is 5lbs lighter.

I didn't get a chance to test out the car yet very much, but engines seems to rev quicker above 5k rpm, and sound is more solid overall.

Sound is my biggest concern. When I replaced my stock exhaust with NISMO, the overall sound was nice but a bit loud under load, and there was a slight drone at a 3000rpm cruise. After adding NISMO intake and jet hot coated NISMO headers, the sound is much nicer. It is a little deeper overall, a little more muted under load, and there is no drone whatsoever. I'm afraid that adding HF cats on top of this will really just make it too loud again. Also, having a roadster, the sounds are a bit louder to begin with.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Diesel350

What do you guys think would be the better route to go and would yield bigger HP gains, Cats + Y-pipe + Midpipe + Stock exhaust or Cats + Aftermarket exhaust?