Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

** NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD ** long awaited, with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Losing Grip II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
As far as I know it is open to everyone since it is for a sponsor of this site. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

ok so can i bypass the BS of posting in the GB thread and just buy it now? literally i will pay you RIGHT NOW! even if the price is higher. i just dont want to wait for the organization of a GB for this. (in that time id have my IM, enjoying it)

john
Old 04-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by SkyMan
Already been finalized.
finalized as in.....

has the GB for this IM been posted?

john
Old 04-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Losing Grip II
finalized as in.....

has the GB for this IM been posted?

john
No, not yet.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
No, not yet.
well would someone take my money.....hahaha

ok but no, whom could i contact directly to get this asap?

john
Old 04-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they are going to make it yet. They have to get the material first and the feeler will tell them about how much they will need. So I don't think you can order it just yet.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:25 PM
350zzzzzz

yea that thing looks sweet im in for the group buy
Old 04-17-2005, 06:59 PM
UsafaRice

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
My understanding (let me know if I am incorrect)
we are looking at the AMOUNT of air that can be crammed into the cylinder/effeciently mixed with fuel...igniting and creating a forceful downward thruust of the piston...
..what would the difference be in running the vortec with a different sized pulley and increasing the amount of air being crammed into the stock plenum...thus still netting a similar amount of MORE air in the combustion chamber...
this leads me to wonder...if this plenum allows greater air to flow (let's say 12psi equiv)with the same vortec pulley that would only make 8psi (understand these are fictional numbers for the purpose of illustrating my point in question)...wouldn't this still cause an increase in cylinder pressure and lead to the danger of blowing the stock engine...

I would assume that while comparing the stock plenum versus the kinetix plenum- using a supercharger (or any F/I for that matter), the air/fuel ratio would be leaner w/ the kinetix, if you did not tune for this plenum...(unless the maf compensates for this)

So, my point is...is this plenum thingy just a means to allow more air to enter the combustion chamber??? But I assume the F/I gains will be the equivelant of just adding another pound or 2 of boost with the stock plenum
Ok, you are making posts with the more boost is better Supra/civic driver mindset. We have 3.5L engines with a lot of torque, more boost makes more HP, but better boost makes more HP earlier in the powerband, with less heat from all the compression, and more easily on the engine.

If you simply shove more hot air into the engine (your +2psi example), you may make more horsepower, but it is less efficient, requires a larger compressor, and adds increased chance of detonation, possibly requiring the use of race gas or timing retard.

While the "amount" of air used is a large factor, reducing the time it can burn and make torque with the downward motion of the piston is the effect of reducing timing. Again, more boost is not necessarily as good as it sounds.

And while the engine does have a limit on the power it can make on the stock internals, the peak pressures encountered from making a lot of power are a small fraction of the pressure and possible damage caused by a single instance of detonation.

A final issue is that a less restrictive/more efficient plenum reduces pumping loses involved in drawing air into the engine. So more of your power stroke goes to the wheels instead of the intake stroke.

Originally Posted by blubyu
gains look nice for those running a TS ECU which can make use of the added power/rpms. The only thing puzzling me is the drop off in power in the before dyno. There is no way a Centrifugal blower equipped car should be dropping off in power up top unless there is something wrong or a terribly rich tune. Why didn't you guys post the a/f charts for both runs?
The cams on the Z car and possibly the size of the ports/valves limits power up top. Just cause he has more boost up top does not mean that the engine has close to the same volumetric efficiency. I also know that my z doesn't see anything south of 5K during a drag race after I'm out of 1st.

I say this plenum + cams + ECU (and maybe P and P and test pipes) would be the biggest single NA gain other than slicks in the 1/4 mile. I'm not even joking.

Finally, to whomever is complaining about the 7 ft-lb of torque effect, remember that you are discussing peak torque. This plenum is increasing torque at the higher RPM points, where it is increasing horsepower. If this doesn't make sense, think about the BMW M3, it doesn't make that much torque but a lot of power because it continues to make that lower amount of torque higher in the rev range.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:17 PM
uplz4588

preach it baby!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:28 PM
projectmrod

.. um noobish question #2..
say i got this IM... and i had to get my car serviced at the dealership for some reason...
would the dealership people try and void my warranty because i had this gnarly intake manifold under my hood?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:44 PM
lsdunique

Official weight on this piece is at about 12.5 lbs, which is a about 8.5 lbs lighter than stock!! so a nice little added bonus.

I unfortunately cannot take your money as it would be unfair to others.

I originally was only going to open the group buy for the first batch of manifolds, which is around 10 manifolds. I am going to have the group buy for a set period of time, maybe 2 weeks long, and everyone who gets in on time, will get it at the discounted price, it might simply come from the second batch.

It wont take long between batches, maybe 2 weeks.

Zach will be doing the group buy, and we wont open it UNTIL we post the NA numbers, which should be by this wednesday/thursday.

We will also have some preliminary pics of the engine cover at that time, but take note the engine cover probably wont be ready for shipment for about 4 weeks.

Thanks for the compliments in terms of cosmetics, and we think the engine cover will be just as nice looking as the manifold.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:47 PM
zman1910

I definitely want in....
Old 04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by lsdunique

We will also have some preliminary pics of the engine cover at that time, but take note the engine cover probably wont be ready for shipment for about 4 weeks.

Thanks for the compliments in terms of cosmetics, and we think the engine cover will be just as nice looking as the manifold.
Do you need the cover for anything other than cosmetics? Maybe you could leave the cover as an option for those who want to save money and just have the IM exposed b/c it looks good as is.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:02 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Wow! That's really clean looking. Good job!

Want to see the N/A numbers as well.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:03 PM
lsdunique

The engine cover is optional, and will be at an additional cost. It wont be incredibly expensive, but we cant finalize a price for it yet.

The group buy will be for the manifold only.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:04 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Do you need the cover for anything other than cosmetics? Maybe you could leave the cover as an option for those who want to save money and just have the IM exposed b/c it looks good as is.
The cover is an option and is not required...even with the cover the IM will still be exposed. I believe it will just cover everything around it....should look pretty sweet..
Old 04-17-2005, 09:06 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

What material will you be using for the cover? CF?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
kinjal

Originally Posted by lsdunique
The group buy will definately include hi-flow cats, our suspension products, etc. We think it is time for another group buy for most of our products.
get your credit cards ready.... its spring time which means mod time.. and now its group buy time!
Old 04-17-2005, 09:20 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by zman1910
The cover is an option and is not required...even with the cover the IM will still be exposed. I believe it will just cover everything around it....should look pretty sweet..
Ha, you posted the answer as I was writing the question, thanks for reading my mind!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 09:20 PM
RTracing

Will you still be able to run a strut tower bar with that manifold?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:22 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by RTracing
Will you still be able to run a strut tower bar with that manifold?
ehemm...look at the previous page bro.

Quick Reply: ** NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD ** long awaited, with pics