Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Removing mid muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:31 AM
illudezion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing mid muffler

Just wondering if anyone has removed the mid muffler on the OEM exhaust? if so what did it sound like? Is there any gain?

Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 AM
subdriver

I think there will be some gain since every restriction taken out will improve on the flow. I had the mid muffler removed but I also have Topspeed headers and testpipes. The result was an increase in raspyness. I dont know what the sound will be on a total stock exhaust.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:10 PM
illudezion

Thanks subdriver but i would like to know what it would sound like with everything else stock.

any one else remove theres?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Strife350z

do a search... this was one of the first exhaust mods attempted back in late 02 early 03 before aftermarket exhausts became available

the verdict?

raspy... don't do it... it's louder and throatier when warmed up, but when the car is cold, it sounds awful
Old 05-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did it when I had the stock exhaust, I loved the sound. It only sounds raspy for a few hundred rpm for less than 3-4 minutes until it gets warm, guys on here make it seem like a swarm of bumble bees invaded your exhaust, imo these select few "men" need some vagisil I would recommend it, I actually miss my stock exhaust with no resonator, I got compliments all the time on it when rev matching coming up to lights....btw cost me $40 at a local muffler shop.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:09 PM
03daytonablue

Please do not remove your resonator!! AKA. (mid-muffler). It will be much more high pitched, almost like a ratteling tin can sound. If your gonning to remove anything, then remove your muffler. Have a local muffler shop replace the gap with pipe and a tip. Removing the muffler sound wise= AMAZING! Also will save your about 40 LBS.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 03daytonablue
Please do not remove your resonator!! AKA. (mid-muffler). It will be much more high pitched, almost like a ratteling tin can sound. If your gonning to remove anything, then remove your muffler. Have a local muffler shop replace the gap with pipe and a tip. Removing the muffler sound wise= AMAZING! Also will save your about 40 LBS.

Wow this a perfect example of how different people can be with stuff like this. Removing your muffler, or unbolting it, sounds like a$$ IMO, and this guy is saying dont remove your resonator cuz of the tin can sound and to go ahead and remove the muffler, lol. Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has 1....

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2005, 04:09 AM
vfr350

Default mid muffler

Ok, has anyone replaced the on a stock system the mid-pipe muffler with say a glass pack or smaller muffler and what have the results been? (hope this is not stealing the thread) I ran my stock exhaust with kintex cats last season, which resulted in mild rasp when cold the pipes were cold. Now this season i added once again another ypipe, (group s) with the 3" to 2.5" reducer before the midpipe muffler with a noticable power increase. But the rasp seems to always be there in 1st and 2nd. I'm beginning to think Nissan put those big stock cats on to help tune the sound of the z. The reason I say this is because i tried another ypipe/cat combo back in the day, but didn't like the sound, so i went back stock but it was an instant choke! Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 AM
03daytonablue

Originally Posted by Alberto
Wow this a perfect example of how different people can be with stuff like this. Removing your muffler, or unbolting it, sounds like a$$ IMO, and this guy is saying dont remove your resonator cuz of the tin can sound and to go ahead and remove the muffler, lol. Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has 1....
That's cool and all, but the guy asked what it will sound like, and if any gains could be had. Think I answered his Q's pretty good. Seem's like he was thinking about SOUND and HP gains on the stock exhaust system which lead's to the most simple mod (muffler). Replace it with a less restrictive unit, or if you like to track your car in any way, shape, or form, then have a delete pipe made for $80 at a local muffler shop and shave about 35LBS off the car. You don't have to cut anything off your stock exhaust (which would be a$$ hacking your stock exhaust system up) and you can take the pipe off to put your muffler back on with ease. Its a simple mod, sounds awsome, low cost, easy, save weight, and easily can be changed out within 45 minutes.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize I am ressurecting an old thread here, but the search ****'s should be happy that I didnt start a new thread. I was staring hard at that massive resonator today and almost took it off, but I figured I would wait and see what everyone else said about it.

Some more opinions on this subject would be really nice, though I am liking daytonablue's suggestion.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

b/mid pipe has never been identified as a choke point, flow-wise.