Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Alphawerks vs. DC Sports

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^I wand to see dyno numbers for those. We've seen what the Alphawerks can do, someone needs to prove that the Topspeed/DC Sports are in the same range for less of the cost.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
ReavTek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe someone at 350Z motoring did a dyno of the topspeeds and got 10 peak HP. Go search that site.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the gains were around what Reavtek said. I got my TS headers in the GB over on motoring. There is a thread in the private classifieds/group buys forums about the Top Speed headers. It is about 57 pages so I am not going to go look for the numbers but you can if you would like!!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:16 PM
partshipperdave

Strup makes a really nice set of headers for the 350Z with respectable performance gains - in line with the others on the market. Quality is top notch!

T-304 #1 grade stainless steel tubing, polished to a bright luster. 1 5/8” mandrel bent tubing X .065 wall thickness.
Flange is 3/8” thick stainless steel. All headers are TIG welded construction.
Provides 14-15 horsepower gains.

Check 'em out on their website:
http://www.strup.us
online ordering will link to special pricing and dyno chart submitted by an independent customer showing gains on his caa..
Old 05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
ReavTek

Strup looks like a very viable alternative for 350z owners as it is a very high quality piece with easy install (no motor lifting) but I dont think they have proved themselves yet. Nexus Industries listened to our bickering and provided a few independent dynos all pretty much showing good gains across the board. Strup needs to send out some headers to my350z members and do some more dynos to gain some board cred.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:11 PM
pwrshftd350z

hmmm, i would like to go with crawfords, but 1200 is just too much. i think the alphas can be found new for 600-700 shipped but i have seen the DC stainless headers for 450 shipped on here brand new. if i could pick up crawfords for 7-800 i would go with it, but i just cant. i would rather spend the difference on something else. what do the dc's ell for new? why are so many for sale in the classifieds? i guess people just realize the intensity of the install. this discussion is awesome....so which way to go??? i bet there are dozens of folks like me who want to know of individual experiences with each.

DC's are 9.5 rwhp
Alphas are 16rwhp
is this the consensus?

anyone know the cheapest place to get the alphas?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Let me clarify some things...observe the specs and decide for yourself.

Nexus (Alphawerks headers are JDM-350Z-spec headers so Nexus made adjustments to them to get them to work on USDM-350Z's, Nexus has exclusive rights to Alphwerks headers)
Highest: ~21rwhp
Lowest: ~14rwhp
Price: $675

Crawford
Highest: ~40rwhp
Lowest: ~20rwhp
Price: $1,150

DC Sports
Highest: ~10rwhp
Lowest: ~5rwhp
Price: ~$467

TopSpeed
Highest: Same as DC Sports
Lowest: Same as DC Sports
Price: ~$300

Borla
Lowest: 0rwhp
Price: ~$586

NISMO
Highest: (about the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Lowest: (about the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Price: $1,299

Stillen
Highest: ~11hp at the flywheel
Lowest: Unknown
Price: ~$789

Strup
Highest: ~15hp (not sure if it's at the wheels or not)
Price: ~$758

Pro-1
Highest: (probably around the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Lowest: (probably around the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Price: ~$349

Xerd Long-Tube Headers
Highest: Probably about the same as Nexus and Crawford
Lowest: Probably about the same as Nexus and Crawford
Price: ~$699

Xerd Shorty Headers
Highest: Probably about the same as DC Sports
Lowest: Probably about the same as DC Sports
Price: ~$350

EVO-R
Highest: Probably the same as Borla or DC Sports
Lowest: Probably the same as Borla or DC Sports
Price: ~$595

SSR-Engineering/Speed Force Racing
Highest: Probably about the same as DC Sports and Nexus
Lowest: Probably about the same as DC Sports and Nexus
Price: ~$1,099

Sorry if I left a company out, 3am is a little early to still be awake.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:24 AM
jkoc

great list man... crawfords 20hp minimum??? uhhh dang
Old 05-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know how you can look at the alphawerks and claim they put down more gains than topspeed or DC. They are all are identical designs. I don't care if they are "Alphawerks headers are JDM-350Z-spec headers so Nexus made adjustments to them to get them to work on USDM-350Z's" - WHICH MEANS NOTHING! they are the f*cking same thing! As previously stated, I bet they are all come from the same factory in China.

Dynos can EASILY be manipulated and 'persuaded' to show better or worse results - not that I am saying this is the case here. My point is, dynos don't paint as an objective picture as you may like. If you look at the design of all the headers, the only ones that are significantly different are the crawford and Xerd. that said, you can see small differences in the designs of the nismo vs the topspeed (nexus and DC) vs the borla and thus, they dyno slightly different.

IMO, I believe I might know a bit more than others since I actually have a Z and have headers on it - no offense but that is the truth. If you want headers, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO SPEND MORE THAN WHAT THE TOPSPEED HEADERS COST - UNLESS YOU BUY XERD OR CRAWFORD. I think the guy from Nexus is a pretty stand up guy and has come on the forums to take and answer a lot of people's questions regarding their headers and I applaud him for that.

Take a look for yourself and see if you can see why these should out perform, or cost any more than any of the others:

These are obviously coated:

Heck, I even found some "JDM spec" converts for you on EBAY for under $300
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33632

I made some slight variations to your list
Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Let me clarify some things...observe the specs and decide for yourself.

Nexus (Alphawerks headers are JDM-350Z-spec headers so Nexus made adjustments to them to get them to work on USDM-350Z's, Nexus has exclusive rights to Alphwerks headers)
Highest: ~21rwhp
Lowest: ~14rwhp
Price: $675

Crawford
Highest: ~40rwhp
Lowest: ~20rwhp *********Maybe slightly exagerated -
Price: $1,150

DC Sports
Lowest: ~5rwhp
Price: ~$467

TopSpeed *******These are topspeed pro-1 headers
Highest: Same as DC Sports ****they dyno the same as the DC, but not Nexus?
Lowest: Same as DC Sports
Price: ~$300

Borla
Lowest: 0rwhp
Price: ~$586

NISMO
Highest: (about the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Lowest: (about the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Price: $1,299

Stillen
Highest: ~11hp at the flywheel
Price: ~$789

Strup****These are roughly the same as topspeed, nexus alphawerks, and DC
Highest: ~15hp (not sure if it's at the wheels or not)
Price: ~$758

Pro-1 ******These are topspeed pro-1 headers
Highest: (probably around the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Lowest: (probably around the same as DC Sports and TopSpeed)
Price: ~$349

Xerd Long-Tube Headers
*******These should dyno the highest of all since they replace the cats. the crawfords should be higher if paired with test pipes, but I would bet the farm that Nexus couldn't touch the Xerd long tube headers gains with a 10 foot pole, they would be in the ballpark if paired with test pipes.
Highest: Probably about the same as Nexus and Crawford
Lowest: Probably about the same as Nexus and Crawford
Price: ~$699

Xerd Shorty Headers
Highest: Probably about the same as DC Sports
Lowest: Probably about the same as DC Sports
Price: ~$350

EVO-R***I haven't seen much on these, only heard a bit about them. I thought they were going to be long tube headers that also replaced the cats. That said, they would dyno towards the top of the crowd.
Highest: Probably the same as Borla or DC Sports
Lowest: Probably the same as Borla or DC Sports
Price: ~$595

SSR-Engineering/Speed Force Racing
Highest: Probably about the same as DC Sports and Nexus
Lowest: Probably about the same as DC Sports and Nexus
Price: ~$1,099

Sorry if I left a company out, 3am is a little early to still be awake.

Last edited by Zivman; 05-17-2005 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:36 AM
pwrshftd350z

so, i went to crawford's website and it says...
"When combined with the plenum and high flow cats, expect a whopping 20hp at peak - and near 40 hp at redline!"
So....this is WITH my plenum and cats, not the headers on their own. Is there a dyno that proves 40 rwhp with Crawford headers??? personally, i think it's impossible. i think they're all gonna be about the same give or take 3-5 hp. i could be wrong.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:06 AM
partshipperdave

one other adjustment to make to the list of headers above, which by the way, is a great list! thanks for posting it nis350ztt!

It's true that Strup is new to the market and needs to prove itself as viable competition. That's why Strup is in the process of confirming itself as a my350z.com site sponsor, and is eager to work with all of you to offer their headers up at a special price so you can get a taste of quality AND performance at an affordable price.

We are working closely with Charlie Westrup of Strup Performance Upgrades to provide an exclusive sponsorship deal to the first 12 customers. We are offering them for only $530.00. And Strup is combining that deal with an exclusive rebate offer of $100.00 back to the purchasing customer! So you can get this set for only $430.00!

http://www.partshippers.com/index.ph...roducts_id=739

As for performance figures of @15 RWHP, that dyno chart was supplied by an independent customer and it shows those gains at the wheel.

We are also in the process of arranging an independent dyno test of these headers on a site members car, and showing the outcome when it's done. I will do my best to keep you all informed as soon as it's available.

I guess the bottom line is how much do you want to spend? How important is quality to you when considering an upgrade on such a potent peace of machinery? And, is that few extra ponies really worth the hundreds of $$ more that you would spend for a name?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Zivman
I don't know how you can look at the alphawerks and claim they put down more gains than topspeed or DC. They are all are identical designs. I don't care if they are "Alphawerks headers are JDM-350Z-spec headers so Nexus made adjustments to them to get them to work on USDM-350Z's" - WHICH MEANS NOTHING! they are the f*cking same thing! As previously stated, I bet they are all come from the same factory in China.

I was clarifying for those that think they are Alphawerks...they are but they aren't.

Dynos can EASILY be manipulated and 'persuaded' to show better or worse results - not that I am saying this is the case here. My point is, dynos don't paint as an objective picture as you may like. If you look at the design of all the headers, the only ones that are significantly different are the crawford and Xerd. that said, you can see small differences in the designs of the nismo vs the topspeed (nexus and DC) vs the borla and thus, they dyno slightly different.

So how do we know all dyno's other than those done for the dyno operator himself aren't fudged? Come on man...(hey, they very well could be...)

IMO, I believe I might know a bit more than others since I actually have a Z and have headers on it - no offense but that is the truth. If you want headers, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO SPEND MORE THAN WHAT THE TOPSPEED HEADERS COST - UNLESS YOU BUY XERD OR CRAWFORD. I think the guy from Nexus is a pretty stand up guy and has come on the forums to take and answer a lot of people's questions regarding their headers and I applaud him for that.

Take a look for yourself and see if you can see why these should out perform, or cost any more than any of the others:

These are obviously coated:

Heck, I even found some "JDM spec" converts for you on EBAY for under $300
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33632

I made some slight variations to your list
Like I said, you can't tell a whole lot from pics, assume all you want though.

BTW, here are the EVO-R headers...http://evo-r.net/product/headers/index.htm

Last edited by nis350ztt; 05-17-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by pwrshftd350z
so, i went to crawford's website and it says...
"When combined with the plenum and high flow cats, expect a whopping 20hp at peak - and near 40 hp at redline!"
So....this is WITH my plenum and cats, not the headers on their own. Is there a dyno that proves 40 rwhp with Crawford headers??? personally, i think it's impossible. i think they're all gonna be about the same give or take 3-5 hp. i could be wrong.
That's where I got the gains from...so that is incorrect, thanks for pointing that out, I just looked for hp numbers.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:19 PM
ReavTek

I was also confused by Crawford's claims. Their long primaries and unique design has been touted as the best header available but their gains are shown from 3 mods? The plenum and high flow cats should net pretty hefty gains leaving the headers to be fairly "average" I know it isn't fair to add up the hp a mod makes individually but I dont see why a plenum/testpipe/header package from another company couldn't post the same if not superior gains.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Like I said, you can't tell a whole lot from pics, assume all you want though.

BTW, here are the EVO-R headers...http://evo-r.net/product/headers/index.htm

I shouldn't have to tell you this, but those don't fit LHD Z's. I was mistaken when I thought they were long tube - I was thinking they were the 350evo headers

By the way, got your Z yet? I just picked up my aps TT kit
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Zivman
I shouldn't have to tell you this, but those don't fit LHD Z's. I was mistaken when I thought they were long tube - I was thinking they were the 350evo headers

By the way, got your Z yet? I just picked up my aps TT kit
Damnit, I really was tired last night, mis-quoting Crawford's site and now reading Evo-R's site wrong....should've waited until today to post.

Nope. Nice.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
GQ 350z

Would longtube headers make a free flowing aftermarket exhaust sound raspy/fart cannish? considering they do replace the cats, this would make sense right?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

On domestics, long-tube headers make it sound more deep than shorty's (even if you have shorty's + test pipes)...no idea what they sound like on imports.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Z_U_NVYN

Can someone comment on the fitment of the Top Speed & DC sport headers. Problems, issues, gotcha's.............Possibly going with one or the other on my setup.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Road Warrior

the ss dc headers are of great quality and fitment. i had mine coated by jet hot (2k) and i was able to get my headers for 350 shipped....so it was a great deal. i am also very happy with the performance.

Quick Reply: Alphawerks vs. DC Sports