Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:05 PM
DayBlueZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics

Hosting a vid and pics for Reavtek.
Enjoy.
Please right click/save as. http://www.insanecomplaints.com/Exhaust_Vid Low.wmv
Attached Thumbnails Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0350.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0360s.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0351.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0352.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0353.jpg  

Last edited by DayBlueZ; 06-02-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 PM
DayBlueZ

More pics.
Attached Thumbnails Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0354.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0355.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0356.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0357.jpg   Member Reavtek's Tanabe SMR Exhaust video and Pics-dscf0359.jpg  

Old 06-02-2005, 06:28 PM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drool.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:01 PM
ReavTek

Yeah, I really loved this exhaust. Here is my Review copied from the previous thread:

Videos and Pics... will be up if someone can host them for me!

Here is the Review:

I have had the Tanabe Super Medallion Racing exhaust on my Z for a little under 1 year. It first went on with my stock Z and has stayed on now that I have Intake and Test Pipe breathing mods.

First Impressions:

The exhaust is of impeccable quality, the welds are perfect and the canister is beautifully polished. I was surprised at how loud it was on my stock Z but after a month of driving it calmed down a bit. The sound is typical Tanabe, nice and deep up to 4500 RPM and ROARS when WOT. Sound was not intrusive with windows up but could be heard, this is one of the louder Z exhausts (comparable to RS*R).

After Test Pipes/Intake:

Test Pipes make this car extremely loud! It still sounds great and I would get questions all the time as to what exhaust it was. However, it was too loud for my daily driver. My girlfriend uses my car sometimes (she is saving for her own 280ZX) and complained of attracting too much attention both good (head turners) and bad (cops). She offered to help me purchase a quieter exhaust so I went ahead and got the Tanabe Hyper Medallion (offically titled Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper). The SMH will be reviewed (with video) later this week.

Back to the SMR, it can be quiet if you are crusing on a local road (60mph in 6th gear). But, when blazing down the highway it is very loud and really bassy around 3000 RPMS (with test pipes).

Quality - 10
Sound - 8 (deep but loses that "Z Sound" in its loudness)
Loudness - 10 (Practically Unbearable with Test Pipes)

Best Regards,

Reav

------

By the way, this exhaust is for sale! I got a quieter exhaust... My UPS guy still calls me an old fogey for not being able to handle the beefy sound of the SMR. It is sitting in my garage in the Tanabe box all packaged up and ready to ship. I am willing to sell it at a low price so just make your offer. Local pick up would be perferable but if I have to I will have it shipped (keep in mind this is a big box and shipping may be $75+... Online vendors usually charge $100 to ship).

You may be wondering why I took picks of the hangers. In the spirit of full disclosure I want to tell any prospective buyers that there is one flaw with this exhaust. The bloody bastard that installed it for me (I was being lazy) SAWED OFF one of the hangers. It is the one connects to a rubber hanger affixed to a metal plate under the car. I have been running this exhaust for a year without issues and the exhaust is very secure without this hanger but I'm sure an exhaust shop can weld on one for $20, I just wanted you guys to know. I'm guessing the installer (Auto Dimensions on Pines Blvd.) removed a rubber hanger (the little rubber bit that holds the metal hanger) and either lost it or straight up stole it and then sawed off the metal hanger bit to prevent rattling. Yeah, I am really pissed but it has been a year and I'm not sure if I want to take it to court. I may just file a complaint with the better business bureau and the office of consumer affairs. A word of caution... save a buck on an install at a cheap shop and you will get your moneys worth!! I should have watched that fool instead of chilling in the lounge.

Note: The sawed off hanger can be seen in DayBlueZ's 2nd post in the 2nd photo.

Last edited by ReavTek; 06-02-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:42 PM
ReavTek

I have a few more pics to share:

This is the Tanabe SMR Exhaust being packed up and getting ready for shipment. I used alot of SealedAir(TM) Foam bags and a bag of foam packing peanuts. So if you are interested in an SMR, ordering from me will ensure it won't get all banged up on the way.

This next photo shows all the padding and protection on the exhaust pieces themselves. I took alot of time to make sure it was nicely padded for delivery.

Tanabe SMR (Racing Medallion) mounted on my Z.

Tanabe SMR Tip, beautifully rolled with excellent quality throughout, I love Tanabe!

OK NOW FOR SOME SNEAK PEEKS ON MY CURRENT TANABE SMH SETUP!

Rear Shot with my C-West Rear Bumper and Tanabe SMH (Hyper Medallion)

Look at that sweet Tanabe Logo embossed on the center muffler! I was really taken away by the quality on this kit!

The Tips have "Hyper Medallion" etched in, simply beautiful...

An official review will be posted later this week with more photos and a video.

Last edited by ReavTek; 06-05-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
DomZ

I'm confused, why do the pics on HopUp make it look like single exit?

http://www.hopupracing.com/hopup1/tasumeraex35.html
Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 PM
ReavTek

Originally Posted by DomZ
I'm confused, why do the pics on HopUp make it look like single exit?

http://www.hopupracing.com/hopup1/tasumeraex35.html
They just used a generic photo. If you look at their description you will notice:

Pipe Diam. Tip Diam 70-60mm 90mm

Super Medalion Racing

DUAL MUFFLER System
Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 AM
atadlo

sounds great! maybe it's just me, but it doesnt sound toooo loud outside of the car (if you had a clip of a drive by it might be different then just revving it sitting). looks good, sounds good, good investment. i've got to get some clips of my vibrant system up soon. these test pipes straight through or resonated?