Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:13 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are both the K&N and AFE air boxes made of similar material (plastic vs metal)?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

They are both made out of metal... but the AFE looks to have a better seal to the factory hood...

We are shooting for mid-next week... Now that I have the intake in my hand I am going to schedual the dyno...

The dyno session will also be open for people to come join us...
Old 09-02-2005, 07:37 AM
nissansource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
They are both made out of metal... but the AFE looks to have a better seal to the factory hood...

We are shooting for mid-next week... Now that I have the intake in my hand I am going to schedual the dyno...

The dyno session will also be open for people to come join us...
where are you dynoing at?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 AM
R2theP

I just installed my AFE a couple days ago, I don't have time right now to write my complete review of the product, but I would almost need to start a complete new thread just to explain the modifications necessary to make the AFE heat shield fit properly without losing one of your A/C lines, then some more clean up work just to prevent your hood from becoming a ram air hood on only the drivers side (seriously it threw my hood about a quarter inch out of alignment!) Now this was not for a tight sealed fit, it was just poor design.
Overall despite the horrible heatshield the rest of the system is of good design except for where the TB boot rubs the intake manifold.
I ordered this kit because the K&N typhoon was out of stock so I figured I would pay a little more and try it.
I am not very happy and will be contacting AFE very soon, they could at the very least provide me with a prefilter or something for my troubles. For the amount of money this unit costs, the unit should at least fit properly. I had at least an hour and a half in extra install time just cutting and grinding the shield.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

one thing we have not done yet was install it...

Eddie is going to put it on his stock roadster today...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:16 AM
nissansource

its close to the ac lines mine does not touch at all...
yes the hood will raise alittle but not a big deal you hardly notice but yes it is abit raised doesnt bother me.

Originally Posted by R2theP
I just installed my AFE a couple days ago, I don't have time right now to write my complete review of the product, but I would almost need to start a complete new thread just to explain the modifications necessary to make the AFE heat shield fit properly without losing one of your A/C lines, then some more clean up work just to prevent your hood from becoming a ram air hood on only the drivers side (seriously it threw my hood about a quarter inch out of alignment!) Now this was not for a tight sealed fit, it was just poor design.
Overall despite the horrible heatshield the rest of the system is of good design except for where the TB boot rubs the intake manifold.
I ordered this kit because the K&N typhoon was out of stock so I figured I would pay a little more and try it.
I am not very happy and will be contacting AFE very soon, they could at the very least provide me with a prefilter or something for my troubles. For the amount of money this unit costs, the unit should at least fit properly. I had at least an hour and a half in extra install time just cutting and grinding the shield.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:56 AM
ZinMiami

Same exact story for me. Find my earlier posts and it describes the same issues.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM
R2theP

Mine was to the point where I could not even install the mounting bolts because it was completely resting on the A/C line, perhaps your line was slightly indexed different I thought of Re-indexing the line but figured it would not be possible without evacuating all the R-134a. As for the hood, mine was to the point where it was difficult to shut and I couldnt deal with a gap that big.

By the way hello to everyone I'm new on the forum and just bought my Z a couple weeks ago. I noticed Jason and a couple others live close by, I live in Glendora, I'll let you guys know about the big Halloween Party at my cousins house in Rancho, I'm sure you passed by his house its the old Frat house looking place on Baseline just east of Archibald by Albertsons, You cant miss it its the only house on the block. EVERYONES INVITED.
Look forward to future posts here!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
R2theP

Also if I had to do it over again I would have ran the K&N Typhoon setup and just changed the filter to one with a molded in velocity stack in the base and an open element top. Here are a couple links for anyone interested...
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=rr-3003

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=rx-4990
I also saw this one in stock at Pep Boys last weekend.

Last edited by R2theP; 09-02-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 PM
nissansource

Oh the house with the big BLine Racing 18wheeler?????
hahahah
ive always wondered about that place looks like a buncha motox guys.

Mine was to the point where I could not even install the mounting bolts because it was completely resting on the A/C line, perhaps your line was slightly indexed different I thought of Re-indexing the line but figured it would not be possible without evacuating all the R-134a. As for the hood, mine was to the point where it was difficult to shut and I couldnt deal with a gap that big.

By the way hello to everyone I'm new on the forum and just bought my Z a couple weeks ago. I noticed Jason and a couple others live close by, I live in Glendora, I'll let you guys know about the big Halloween Party at my cousins house in Rancho, I'm sure you passed by his house its the old Frat house looking place on Baseline just east of Archibald by Albertsons, You cant miss it its the only house on the block. EVERYONES INVITED.
Look forward to future posts here!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Also if I had to do it over again I would have ran the K&N Typhoon setup and just changed the filter to one with a molded in velocity stack in the base and an open element top. Here are a couple links for anyone interested...
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=rr-3003

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=rx-4990
I also saw this one in stock at Pep Boys last weekend.
I was going to mount a JWT Pop Charger on the K&N Typhoon set up...

but then i thrashed the front end of my car along with the intake...

So just put a pop charger on and called it a day...
Old 09-02-2005, 06:05 PM
R2theP

Originally Posted by nissansource
Oh the house with the big BLine Racing 18wheeler?????
hahahah
ive always wondered about that place looks like a buncha motox guys.
Thats the place, the truck is a friend of his who used to live there hes just storing it while they sell it. The guys that used to live there raced motox.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:30 PM
R2theP

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
one thing we have not done yet was install it...

Eddie is going to put it on his stock roadster today...
Any word yet on the install? Curious to see if they may have changed the design. Mine had the tag that said it was the first 25 built in the box.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
ZinMiami

Any word yet on the install? Curious to see if they may have changed the design. Mine had the tag that said it was the first 25 built in the box.
That is one more thing we have in common on our kits. I am curious where did you get yours? Also is your filter the inverted, open end type or does it have a carbon fiber end cap?

It seems there is a lot of very old inventory out there. This leads me to believe that these are very early kits and that may explain the fitment issues.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 PM
R2theP

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
That is one more thing we have in common on our kits. I am curious where did you get yours? Also is your filter the inverted, open end type or does it have a carbon fiber end cap?

It seems there is a lot of very old inventory out there. This leads me to believe that these are very early kits and that may explain the fitment issues.
I ordered mine through a supplier called Comp Specialties that we deal with through my work, I got the inverted type filter not the carbon fiber end cap which is what that first 25 slip said would come with the kit, that kind of threw me off so I dont know what generation kit I have. either way that heat shield should not have left the factory as bad as it fit.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:27 AM
ZinMiami

I agree R2. I am sending off an email to Grasshopper (AFE rep) to see if they can supply a replacement box for testing. I am curious to see if this is a version issue of the early kits or a manufacturing problem overall not.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
nissansource

mines a open end cone
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 AM
hfm

What is going on here?

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/140884-afe-intake-article-on-nissanperformancemag.html

Why is Nissansource's dyno:

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....chmentid=79300

The same as Nissan Performance Magazines dyno:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/...ndependent.jpg

"We were a little skeptical about their 19 whp claim, and we had the opportunity to dyno it twice. Once on their machine, and once on Hook-Ups dyno. Each time we were rewarded with a nice gain in both WHP and Torque. We were able to wring out 6-10 whp from the intake alone."

Is Nissansource the author of this article? Is Nissansource Greg Vogel? Wasn't Greg Vogel Parts Manager at Mossy before he moved on? The same guy who got 300 rwhp+ dyno numbers on a Mustang dyno that we all compained was BS?

As Henry Lee said in the O.J. Simpson case, "something wrong."
Old 09-08-2005, 09:17 AM
hfm

You know, I should add, Greg Vogel seemed to have a good rep despite that nasty Mustang dyno. People genuinely like Greg.

I'm just irked that the relationship, if any, wasn't disclosed in the first place. Further, there maybe some financial interest going on here that biases his testing.

Whatever the case, I'm still waiting on Jason to resolve this.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
nissansource

hmmmm ill have to talk to one person i know that talks to npm see if they gave my dyno up and or used it with greg is this the same greg at mossy

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z