Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Kaitain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the results.

Just another monkey wrench to throw into the works; won't the car's ECU over time correct for the increased air flow and negate the added power? I'm really asking because I don't know. I know nothing about cars, it's just something I heard when I was buying my JWT Popcharger.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:14 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zand02max
Chiming in to see if it is indeed true. Hopefully its not another one of these,
^thanks for that old, infamous, scam-busting pic. is that a version of the "turbonator"?
ps: this thread has some great pix i haven't seen before!

Last edited by Z BOY; 07-23-2005 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:37 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If somebody does get the dyno done, make sure you get A/F numbers. If it is as someone suggested earlier a case where it tricks the ECU into leaning out, then you want to see how lean it's getting.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Landbarger

This is actually getting interesting...and I thought this was going to be another eBay Turbonator deal.

BTW, nice site AFE (whether or not your stuff works, the sites clean, for that matter, your intake is clean looking too)
Old 07-23-2005, 10:23 AM
the7ferret

Not to bag on AFE but At work today I saw an even funnier CAI manufactor.
ITs called vortec and they had CAI floating around and claimed up to 95 hp if you install the CAI.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:02 PM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by Kaitain
Can't wait to see the results.

Just another monkey wrench to throw into the works; won't the car's ECU over time correct for the increased air flow and negate the added power? I'm really asking because I don't know. I know nothing about cars, it's just something I heard when I was buying my JWT Popcharger.
No it won't. There is no conlusive proof nor does it make sense that the ECU can do this. What happens is that you may not get the full impact of the mods because the ECU's stock maps can't take 100% advantage of the mods like exhaust, intake, etc. A reflash with custome tuning can fix that.

These super mod negating ECU stories float around on every car board. Frankly some folks just endow the modern day ECU's with super magical powers they don't have.

They are just a computer with a program running in them that controls certain functions within pre-set parameters. Change the program, fix the limitations.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well considering the dyno it was done on even being there might not prove anything. Mustang dynos can be manipulated to produce HUGE number variances like this. Since the Mustang dyno is a load based dyno and is also a weight sensitive dyno putting in a lighter vehicle weight on the second run (post install) can produce this kind of "gain". Its been done before. I went to a dyno that used to be in Oceanside and ran my stock car (SE-R at the time) and put down 143 FWHP and 152 ft/lb Tq. Changing the weight to 500 lbs lighter on the dyno input yielded me 153 FWPH and 160 ft/lb tq. You see the dyno calculates its load factor to the rollers by vehicle weight (Mustang dynos that is). So unless this gets done on a Dyno jet where you don't have the ability to easily modify the output like that this test is bogus. If you REALLY want to prove your intake worthwhile you give it to a 3rd Party for testing and have them do a baseline Dynojet run install intake and do one right after. Until then we can all call

Oh and guess what:
Attached Thumbnails 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-ponch.jpg  

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 07-24-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:52 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the intake looks that bad. I like that they integrated the mass air flow sensor into the pipe. Here is my favorite part of their site though:

Dyno Scan, haha. Like they actually printed that out from a dyno and scaned it in to make that image.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 AM
DayBlueZ

Well,? Any news or progress here?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:59 PM
afetech

My manager is in contact with shipping a kit out to an individual from this board to do a full review on the Intake System. He promised to have dyno numbers and pictures to share. That should be done soon! I would also like to invite someone from this board (preferably with a stock 350Z) to schedule a day they could come down , throw a kit on, Dyno there car and see the results. If you would like to nominate a member and he or she is interested, PLease PM me and I will schedule a date to have this done.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:42 PM
DayBlueZ

Well, sounds good to me. This is most exciting, most exciting indeed!
We will either have a new item with a great increase in performance for a bolt on or we will have a new kid on the block to beat down. Either way, someone gets

Personally, i am rooting for AFE

Last edited by DayBlueZ; 07-25-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DayBlueZ
Personally, i am rooting for AFE
I'm trying to be an optimist and hope that they do meet the hype. But on the other hand, it's a $500 popcharger. The info on their site indicates that the air tube is plastic. Hell, you can get a polished metal tube CAI for under $300.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM
1991TT

Originally Posted by HankVQ

Oh! Oh Jesus! That's funny as crap! Never seen that one before!

By the way AFE, you're showing a great bit of professionalism. Thumbs up to you...even if you're product doesn't do what you say it does. You've at least got *****.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
1991TT

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well considering the dyno it was done on even being there might not prove anything. Mustang dynos can be manipulated to produce HUGE number variances like this...
Thanks MIAPLAYA! I had just started searching for info on Mustang dynos when I saw your post. I thought I remembered something about those things being different than dynojets.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM
DEMON1C

Anyone wanna volunteer as a guinea pig? Please oh please, it looks like one of those products that gary-coleman would advertise.

Last edited by DEMON1C; 07-25-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:19 PM
ZinMiami

Well I wanted an intake for my Z, so I decided to get one of these. I don't think I will go to the expense of a dyno, but I will post the results of the old butt dyno. I got it from an Ebay vendor for $385. I figured that with a retail of $571 and a generally discounted price of $430, the price wasn't so bad and includes shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 1991TT
Thanks MIAPLAYA! I had just started searching for info on Mustang dynos when I saw your post. I thought I remembered something about those things being different than dynojets.
No worries. I've been studying up on the differences between dynos as it really helps in interpeting numbers...
Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 PM
nissansource

Sorry guys forgot about this post. Your right Dynos make a big difference. legit dynos also. My SE-R days i had 400HP monster 200sx and dynoed a dynopack that yeilded 475 but back on our dynometer it produced 424 anyway you guy still ready for a test.... id like to see what happends..... wouldnt you? I do highly doubt it will push that much but im a skeptic. Anyway im still able to do a dyno. Ill pick up your intake and take it down to my best friend Chris Allen at Mossy and go dyno it on sunday at our dynojet dyno. Im local ill come by and pick it up today at that discounted price.....

Last edited by nissansource; 07-26-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by nissansource
Sorry guys forgot about this post. Your right Dynos make a big difference. legit dynos also. My SE-R days i had 400HP monster 200sx and dynoed a dynopack that yeilded 475 but back on our dynometer it produced 424 anyway you guy still ready for a test.... id like to see what happends..... wouldnt you? I do highly doubt it will push that much but im a skeptic. Anyway im still able to do a dyno. Ill pick up your intake and take it down to my best friend Chris Allen at Mossy and go dyno it on sunday at our dynojet dyno. Im local ill come by and pick it up today at that discounted price.....
Shaggy is the homie!!!

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z