Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 04:23 PM
ZinMiami

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-30-2005, 04:24 PM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by 3-fity
Gotcha, so they don't use the whole unit like most aftermarket intakes. Interesting....
This is the same design principle as the new Injen 1986 intake for the Z. The premise is that these tubes use a tuned MAF pad and location that makes the difference in HP gains versus other intakes. Check out the Injen site and you will see that it is very similar to this AFE unit. Injen is claiming a max gain of 17HP.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:49 PM
3-fity

I hope this turns out to be true, because that should put me over the 300whp NA. ::crossesfingers::
Old 07-30-2005, 05:24 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by 3-fity
I hope this turns out to be true, because that should put me over the 300whp NA. ::crossesfingers::
What do you put down now?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:31 PM
TX-Ruben

He put down 287
Old 08-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyno results... Yes please...
Old 08-01-2005, 03:26 AM
jkoc

lol
Old 08-01-2005, 05:42 AM
cracka350z

im gonna go poop while i wait....
Old 08-01-2005, 06:02 AM
3-fity

For mine... or the intake?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:44 AM
nissansource

Im currently back in town and have been in communication with AFE. Im going to schedual a time possibly Monday or Tuesday if possible. I had a very busy weekend in vegas otherwise this would have been done earlier. I contacted AFE telling them im ready Monday so lets see what happends. Honestly I like the way business is being taken care of buy this company and trying to stand by their claims to the fullest extent. hell even a 5-7hp increase is good cheap bolton power.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Roggan

Hey NissanSource

What intake do you have on your car currently? It would be very intresting to at the same dyno occasion compare:
1. Bone stock
2. JWT Popcharger
3. The aFe intake
4. Injen RD1986
5. Any other short ram system with a built in MAF socket

I guess 4 and 5 would be tricky to get hold of in such short notice.

Atleast some other cone filter as a comparision would be extremly intresting IMO

/Roger
Old 08-01-2005, 09:11 AM
nissansource

The car in particular that im going to be using is a bone stock 350z basic

Originally Posted by Roggan
Hey NissanSource

What intake do you have on your car currently? It would be very intresting to at the same dyno occasion compare:
1. Bone stock
2. JWT Popcharger
3. The aFe intake
4. Injen RD1986
5. Any other short ram system with a built in MAF socket

I guess 4 and 5 would be tricky to get hold of in such short notice.

Atleast some other cone filter as a comparision would be extremly intresting IMO

/Roger
Old 08-01-2005, 09:24 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nissansource
... hell even a 5-7hp increase is good cheap bolton power.
Isn't that what a Popcharger gets you for only $120. The AFE intake is over $500 - for that much it had better make 20HP.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
afetech

Originally Posted by nissansource
Im currently back in town and have been in communication with AFE. Im going to schedual a time possibly Monday or Tuesday if possible. I had a very busy weekend in vegas otherwise this would have been done earlier. I contacted AFE telling them im ready Monday so lets see what happends. Honestly I like the way business is being taken care of buy this company and trying to stand by their claims to the fullest extent. hell even a 5-7hp increase is good cheap bolton power.
Please contact ben @ aFe to schedule an installation for the 350z.

Ben A
aFe Project Coordinator
951-493-7113
Old 08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Diesel350

I have a bridge I can sell you all.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 PM
QuantumZ

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
No it won't. There is no conlusive proof nor does it make sense that the ECU can do this. What happens is that you may not get the full impact of the mods because the ECU's stock maps can't take 100% advantage of the mods like exhaust, intake, etc. A reflash with custome tuning can fix that.

These super mod negating ECU stories float around on every car board. Frankly some folks just endow the modern day ECU's with super magical powers they don't have.

They are just a computer with a program running in them that controls certain functions within pre-set parameters. Change the program, fix the limitations.
Actually some ECU's do compensate over time (Subaru's with basic piggybacks for example). The Nissan ECU's however, while very nice and adept, are trained to be very stupid in open loop. You actually need to tune just about everything you add to the car or you WON'T get the full power out of it. If it's a proper mod, it will make the car run leaner and leaner at WOT and the ECU doesn't do anything about it.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 PM
QuantumZ

BTW, aFe has gotten back to me and they have a kit on the way to me. I will certainly want to give it some time to see if the ECU makes any adaptations. I don't think anyone really cares what the car does in the first 100 miles.
Please be patient; it takes time for stuff to ship, install, settle in and then dyno, etc.
Please note that I am not dynoing on a bone stock Z. I have some mods on this car (I believe someone else is dynoing with a stock Z). I expect that some pre-existing mods is a more accurate reflection of what a Z owner will have who is interested in this.

-Mark
Old 08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
ZinMiami

Default My Intake Kit came in today

Lets get right to it.

First, it seems the vendor I got it from has old inventory. Mine had a little slip of paper that indicated that since this was one of the first 25 kits it came with a special air filter with a carbon fiber end cap versus just plain metal. That is my first issue since it seems that the latest versions of the kit ship with an open end cone which I believe is a better design versus a closed end. I'll deal with that in due time.

The kit itself came complete with everything needed to install and even included a free cleaning and recharge kit. The install is no biggy and would normally take about 30 minutes to do.

BUT............ There were some fitment issues. The heat shield/box needs a little modification with a hammer since a very sharp edge rests very solidly against a metal A/C line. I've heard of this with some other kits as well and read of a couple folks eventually sawing thru the pipe.

The rest of the install is ok. The next issue I encountered was that the hood clearance is not good. It will close but it will not sit flush withthe fender as the ither side does. A little tweaking helped but it's not 100%.

On the performance side, the car feels stronger off the line and pulls hard and fast. I did a number of different tests on the way home which was pre-install so that I would have a fresh recolection of how the car was. Is it 21HP worth of improvement, I gota say no. Sorry AFE. Then again my Z is not bone stock so I was not expecting such an increase.

Conclusion:

Considering the premium price for this kit, I would have expected a perfect fit which mine does NOT have. As for gains, it gave me something but I haven't tried any other intake so I don't know if it's giving anymore than another brand.

And lastly it does give the awesome sound that so many other folks have commented about with other aftermarket intakes.

Maybe AFE will read this and tell me why I am having the fitment problems. I guess I am stuck with the older style filter element since I didn't notice it wasn't the currently one pictured until after I modified the airbox and installed the whole kit. I doubt the vendor will take it back now.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
DayBlueZ

Originally Posted by QuantumZ
BTW, aFe has gotten back to me and they have a kit on the way to me. I will certainly want to give it some time to see if the ECU makes any adaptations. I don't think anyone really cares what the car does in the first 100 miles.
Please be patient; it takes time for stuff to ship, install, settle in and then dyno, etc.
Please note that I am not dynoing on a bone stock Z. I have some mods on this car (I believe someone else is dynoing with a stock Z). I expect that some pre-existing mods is a more accurate reflection of what a Z owner will have who is interested in this.

-Mark
Is that going to be accurate?
I think it would be more accurate if you dyno'd, then put it on then Dyno'd again. All you need is 6 WOT runs down the street to re-calibrate.
It should be on the same day with the temps and humidity at the same level.
Right?

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
On the performance side, the car feels stronger off the line and pulls hard and fast. I did a number of different tests on the way home which was pre-install so that I would have a fresh recolection of how the car was. Is it 21HP worth of improvement, I gota say no. Sorry AFE. Then again my Z is not bone stock so I was not expecting such an increase.
I don't think the Butt-Dyno is going to help us much here. No dyno before or after? Any plans for a Dyno?

Last edited by DayBlueZ; 08-01-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
ZinMiami

Sorry DAY but no dynos, just the BUTT...........

Nissansource and QuantumZ will have to be our scientific testers!

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z