Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line, what would be the real instrest is if the aFe intake gives more increase then similar designs that sells for half the price, such as the K&N Typhoon intake (which btw im ordering NOW after some research!! )

I can imagine the aFe and other intakes could give slightly more the the Popcharger due to that the JWT uses the stock MAF tunnel which is a smaller diameter then the rest of the piping and the aFe system might have a slightly better heat shield, but this should only account for a quite small diff IMO.

I seriously doubt that the aFe filter would give a higher increase then the Typhoon or similar designs unless there is black magic involved!!

/Roger
Old 08-01-2005, 08:34 PM
nissansource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAE corrected Butt Dynos dont count here. I drop off the car at AFE for baseline on their dyno and do install. ill drive the car around for about 100 miles and also reset the ecm with my nissan consult. i wont do a video of the baseline dyno of a stock 350z, but i will do a independant dyno on a dyno jet after my 100 mile driving since their tech wants that. Ill still reset the ecm. 2 days later ill bring the car to AFE and dyno it on their dyno to see any difference on the mustang dyno which might show a difference but hell we shall see. I know the unit does retail quite a bit but if i wanted jim and clarks intake at jwt for 100 bucks id do that if i was going to be NA. The car I am doing is actualy going full build up with new motor fully built to the hilt with a GT35R on it. It should definetly scoooot with those mods i have laying here in my garage
Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 PM
QuantumZ

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
Lets get right to it.

First, it seems the vendor I got it from has old inventory. Mine had a little slip of paper that indicated that since this was one of the first 25 kits it came with a special air filter with a carbon fiber end cap versus just plain metal. That is my first issue since it seems that the latest versions of the kit ship with an open end cone which I believe is a better design versus a closed end. I'll deal with that in due time.

The kit itself came complete with everything needed to install and even included a free cleaning and recharge kit. The install is no biggy and would normally take about 30 minutes to do.

BUT............ There were some fitment issues. The heat shield/box needs a little modification with a hammer since a very sharp edge rests very solidly against a metal A/C line. I've heard of this with some other kits as well and read of a couple folks eventually sawing thru the pipe.

The rest of the install is ok. The next issue I encountered was that the hood clearance is not good. It will close but it will not sit flush withthe fender as the ither side does. A little tweaking helped but it's not 100%.

On the performance side, the car feels stronger off the line and pulls hard and fast. I did a number of different tests on the way home which was pre-install so that I would have a fresh recolection of how the car was. Is it 21HP worth of improvement, I gota say no. Sorry AFE. Then again my Z is not bone stock so I was not expecting such an increase.

Conclusion:

Considering the premium price for this kit, I would have expected a perfect fit which mine does NOT have. As for gains, it gave me something but I haven't tried any other intake so I don't know if it's giving anymore than another brand.

And lastly it does give the awesome sound that so many other folks have commented about with other aftermarket intakes.

Maybe AFE will read this and tell me why I am having the fitment problems. I guess I am stuck with the older style filter element since I didn't notice it wasn't the currently one pictured until after I modified the airbox and installed the whole kit. I doubt the vendor will take it back now.
Even 21 whp is barely registerable by me; and I used to tune for a living. I think the 'ear' dyno is throwing you off.
My friend, if your hood doesn't close and it rubs your A/C line, then you don't have enough tools. I have all sorts and types of sledge hammers and prybars to "adjust" fitment.

Mark
Old 08-02-2005, 03:24 AM
ZinMiami

Ohh I have and used the tools. The A/C line issue is gone thanks to the hammer but the hood fitment eludes me. No adjustment I do seems to help. It's better, but still not 100%.

Nissansource, I don't mind spending $$$. Lord knows I have spent a bit already. I just expect a premium product to have premium characteristics. A proper fit would be one of those characteristics.

The individual component quality is very good. Just when put all together it doesn't quite just bolt on. It required a lot of modding. At least that was my experience. Maybe it varies car to car due to build tolerances.

In any case I am looking forward to the dyno testing you guys are doing. I am sure we are all eagerly waiting and appreciate your involvement. Hopefully my leap of faith will be rewarded by decent results from you guys.

Last edited by ZinMiami; 08-02-2005 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:04 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nissansource
... I drop off the car at AFE for baseline on their dyno and do install. ill drive the car around for about 100 miles and also reset the ecm with my nissan consult. i wont do a video of the baseline dyno of a stock 350z, but i will do a independant dyno on a dyno jet after my 100 mile driving since their tech wants that. Ill still reset the ecm. 2 days later ill bring the car to AFE and dyno it on their dyno to see any difference on the mustang dyno which might show a difference but hell we shall see. ...
I'm confused about your testing protocol. Why not get an independant baseline then take it to AFE and let them baseline it. Do the install then run another dyno at AFE. Then, if you must, wait 2 days/100 miles then do another independant dyno. If AFE is willing, bring it back to them after 100 miles and see if they read anything different.

It seems as though if you get baseline dynos then wait a couple of days then go back for more, there are too many variables that get introduced - i.e. weather, adjustment or "re calibration" of the dyno itself.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:52 AM
nissansource

honestly.... i dont have time to take it to my dyno today.. its a bone stock Z should pull only bone stock numbers. Ill be letting them install it this morning. drive around for 100 miles 200miles whatever they want, Then ill dyno on the dynojet and then dyno on their mustang dyno. I dont have massive amounts of time to do extensive testing on an intake. I will do my best however to give everyone information on the differences between the dynos and the intake power. Ill have the dyno sheets availible and I think my way will be just fine. Ive been doing this crap for years. Also just got off the phone with Shaggy@mossy he just remembered that AFE sent them an intake to dyno and that they where told to do a 100 mile pre drive. He let me know that this was one of the nicest built intakes on the market that they have ever put on a Z but since they didnt have time to do a pre drive on the Z it didnt show power just richened the system up in the 10s.

EDIT: We are baselineing on their Mustang Dyno not sure if i mentioned that today. Just dont have time for my own dyno test for a stock Z. Ill keep everyone updated and please remember im doing this by taking some time away from my office stuff.

Last edited by nissansource; 08-02-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Fletch69z

honestly.... i dont have time to take it to my dyno today.. its a bone stock Z should pull only bone stock numbers. Ill be letting them install it this morning. drive around for 100 miles 200miles whatever they want, Then ill dyno on the dynojet and then dyno on their mustang dyno. I dont have massive amounts of time to do extensive testing on an intake. I will do my best however to give everyone information on the differences between the dynos and the intake power. Ill have the dyno sheets availible and I think my way will be just fine. Ive been doing this crap for years. Also just got off the phone with Shaggy@mossy he just remembered that AFE sent them an intake to dyno and that they where told to do a 100 mile pre drive. He let me know that this was one of the nicest built intakes on the market that they have ever put on a Z but that since they didnt do a pre drive on it didnt show power just richened the system up.

EDIT: We are baselineing on their Mustang Dyno not sure if i mentioned that today. Just dont have time for my own dyno test for a stock Z. Ill keep everyone updated and please remember im doing this by taking some time out of my office stuff
Thanks NS, I'm sure everyone appreciates what you are doing. I just wonder what difference the predrive makes and why one that isn't predriven wouldn't make power when one that was does. Anyone else wonder about this?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 AM
nissansource

no clue ecm just seeing different ammounts of metered air then before.

Last edited by nissansource; 08-02-2005 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:01 AM
DayBlueZ

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
Thanks NS, I'm sure everyone appreciates what you are doing. I just wonder what difference the predrive makes and why one that isn't predriven wouldn't make power when one that was does. Anyone else wonder about this?
ECU needs to recognize it.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:03 AM
nissansource

I head to AFE at about 9ish 10ish.. its about 8 right now and im insanely tired. also my damn office is cold
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by DayBlueZ
ECU needs to recognize it.
Gotcha.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
ZinMiami

NissanSource,

Please let us know about fitment since this is my main gripe on my kit.

thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 02:43 PM
nissansource

I am back i will give everyone a heads up on to the impressions of the kit and AFE. just have to tiddy some things up here at the office and do not have time to do a extensive writeup right this second

Last edited by nissansource; 08-02-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
DayBlueZ

What what what??? Come on did it fair well or not? Then tell us the complete story later.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:08 PM
nissansource

I will tell you one thing for now...........

1. The build quality of the Intake system is FANTASTIC!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:16 PM
ZXiMan

That's it????
Old 08-02-2005, 03:17 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I will tell you one thing for now...........

1. The build quality of the Intake system is FANTASTIC!!!
I guess that explains the price. Maybe it's handcrafted by the same artisans that create the Ferrari Enzo.

Hate to be cynical, but that statement goes along with "well, she got a great personality". I can't wait to hear what you're not telling us.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
ZXiMan

Stop teasing us and spill the beans... I need to know whether or not I need to sell my JWT popcharger...heh
Old 08-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many seconds does it take to type "10hp gain"?

Looking forwards to hear the outcome.

Im currently a few hours away from buying a K&N Typhoon system which IMO is smarter built to sheild hot air then the aFe, it also has an optional CAI ram which goes into a box where the filter is located with a water dispenser, it also uses a slot for the MAF sensor in the tubing like the Injen RD1986 and the aFe. The Typhoon has the best design ive seen, and half the price of the aFe.

So unless i hear i miracle like "15-20 hp gain" soon from the aFe im getting the Typhoon no question.

/Roger
Old 08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

He's probably working out a contract with a company on what to say.

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z