Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:59 PM
DayBlueZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kidding! What's the deal?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to be a dzikhead, but can anyone vouche for nissansource?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:21 PM
DayBlueZ

Originally Posted by Z BOY
not to be a dzikhead, but can anyone vouche for nissansource?
I don't think we have to worry about that at all.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:03 PM
onosway

I normally don't post but I just started following this thread and wanted to mention that AFe does have stand up products. I have an AFe on my SVT and have been very satisfied with it. I was introduced to them over 2 years ago and I know them to be a honest and legitimate company in the past and I would expect it from them now.

I recently got my Z about a month or so ago and I’m looking forward to seeing what develops here - In all the car clubs been on or seen, I've yet to see a company do this much to stand up for their product on a enthusiast forum.

Last edited by onosway; 08-02-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
ZinMiami

Well I emailed AFE early yesterday and have not heard back from them. I want to know why I had to pound the airbox/heatshield to clear an A/C line. I figured if that was it for tweaking it wasn't so bad. But then I find that the hood does not close right on the intake side because the shield is too darn high. I have adjusted and bent the mounting tabs and no luck.

I am curious to hear about this absolutely fantastic build quality Nissansource mentions. I do have evidence that I received older stock so I wonder if there have been revisions since 2003. My kit had a piece of paper saying congrats on buying one of the first 25 Kits!

Of course I didn't find that nor run into the hood clearance until I did the airbox mod so now the vendor won't take it back.

In any case I have yet to hear from AFE on my fitment issues.

Nissansource where are you?????????????????????
Old 08-03-2005, 04:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh yeah, this story really ought to be really good. It's taken all night to get it right.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:50 AM
nissansource

Hey guys sorry about not getting back to you. I had to take my wife out to dinner last night and when I got back it was way to late for me to do any sort of write up that i had planned on doing. ive been driving the car for acouple of hours already and i really enjoy hearing the tone of the intake. its very intoxicating to pull to redline in the vehicale. Yes its a very nice step and i have not been in any contract talks with afe at all nor am I leaning on any side. They actually where very profesional about this deal and wanted to make sure that this product didnt get shot down so harsh by the forums. I spoke with the developer of the intake for over an hour about what different revisions of this intake he had to make in order to extract the max hp ratings. he had a complete bible of information on things they had done that didnt work, what performed the best and what numbers each change did. The logbook contained dyno charts and other amounts of data that had been logged. the book was a binder about the size of 6 sport compact car mags put together. He specificly let me know that he spent about 1 year exactly working on a owners 350z car. The car had about 15k on it and when done testing had about 25k. AFE almost droped the 350z project due to its complex readings they where getting out of different setups. The R&D team was very tired b/c they seemed to get so close and then once they dynoed their new setups it wasnt showing much gain. They tried mainly different location setups of the maf and finaly came to the possiblity of putting the maf sensor in the air intake duct. They moved the intake sensor inside the duct closest to the air filter and drove the car around for about 250 miles. Dynoed that car and to their amazment they yielded the max amount of numbers out of any design they have done. This information is what i got 4 hours later after droping my car off. The guy was a decent guy smart not a ******* at all. AFE themselves where shocked at the amount of power they just had extracted out of the intake unit. Now do I feel a butt dyno rating here? noo. the car is schedualed for a Thursday dyno run at a friends shop. we will do about 3 runs. Its a damn intake im not going to focus on it much. on friday ill be at AFE doing a duplicate dyno on their machine. i have some pics of the dyno and ill try uploading them here.... anyway gotta get dresssed for work its about 6:45 and gotta be in Diamond Bar this morning. Plus its my B-day today so ill try to get some more impressions of the intake out after everyone finishes saying happy b-day to me at the office. In all honesty ive been doing this for years. been in the SE-R scene for a long time making massive amounts of power doing home grown setups out of my garage yeilding avg hp of 475 out of my sr20de motor. i know what im doing and in no means a CAR SHOP FOLLOWING junky like most people in the scene are. I really do like this intake setup I asked my wife if she would video tape the car doing street runs up and down so you guys can hear the setup. I never listend to a VQ with an intake b/c i always just turbo every damn car ive owned. this is a very throaty intake and i think it just might yeild half the number they claim. i honestly cant say till this car hits the dynos on thrusday and friday.

EDIT: on the hood yes it does touch but its there to make completly air tight location for heat, so the car does not get any heated air from the engine bay. it isnt as bad as i thought it would be like the previous tester mentioned. One last thing i dont care if anyone here can vouch for me I do not know anyone on this forum and im just an enthusiest that loves the sport. non of my friends have 350z so I start brand new here.

Last edited by nissansource; 08-03-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:40 AM
DayBlueZ

Originally Posted by nissansource
Its a damn intake im not going to focus on it much.
Wait a min, We have been waiting on some kind of results on this since he (AFE) posted on 7/21 and all we get is an infomercial about the company?
I feel that WE (the members of the forum) were looking for someone that is gung-ho on testing this thing and anxious to provide results for us to lay this to rest one way or the other. Nothing personal, but, you act as if you are being bothered by having to do this. If you have better things to do that's fine, if it's not any kind of priority to you that's fine also, but, like i said , I feel that WE were looking for someone whos heart was into this test.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:43 AM
nissansource

hmm maybe it did come out wrong.. its hitting the dynos well get some hard copy numbers. yah it was a bit of a pain to get this stuff done for the people here but just like you guys i wanted to see this claim.... the claim is high i dont doubt that but hell well see. your right though didnt mean for it to come out like i didnt care... I thought some members here would want to know about afe since i visited them yesturday. I dont have any dyno numbers just yet im in the predrive 100 mile mode right now
Old 08-03-2005, 06:45 AM
nissansource

the car did baseline at 238 cant remmember what my torque was
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 AM
nissansource

I can say that from 4k and up the car sings pretty damn good seems to pull harder. but like i said i dont want to say much till it hits a dyno. Dyno means more to me then just the sound of the intake
Old 08-03-2005, 06:50 AM
nissansource

Btw guys im gona do the best I can to get numbers my heart is otherplaces as they pay the bills this is a hobby for me but i am not gonna toss it aside. please dont forget I took time out to get this done and front whatever cash and time that is needed for this to be done.. Btw if anyone is close to diamond bar and wants to see this system and drive the car feel free to give me a call 909-200-8594 im off the 57 and temple

also trying to figure out how to put my cam phone pics on here
Attached Thumbnails 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-1.jpg   21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-2.jpg   21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-3.jpg   21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-4.jpg   21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-5.jpg  

Last edited by nissansource; 08-03-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:20 AM
ZXiMan

I was under the impression that AFE was going to dyno your car before (baseline) and after (with the intake and 100 miles later) on their dyno... I figured it would be easy to put 100 miles in the same day...heh.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by nissansource
the car did baseline at 238 cant remmember what my torque was
I thought he said that they did baseline it at 238.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:27 AM
nissansource

yah this dyno was b4 the intake... what the **** kicker was is that my car was bought used. we found that the previous owner had put a TURBONATOR on the car @Q#%*(&@#%(*@% i was pissed so we redynoed and pulled the 238 prior the car did 220ish. im gonna go snap a few pics of the engine bay now....
Old 08-03-2005, 08:06 AM
DayBlueZ

Originally Posted by ZXiMan
I was under the impression that AFE was going to dyno your car before (baseline) and after (with the intake and 100 miles later) on their dyno... I figured it would be easy to put 100 miles in the same day...heh.
That's what i thought. 100 miles is a 45 min trip out somewhere and back. Well, here it is. A 45 min trip out there probably gets you 1 block.

Did you guys Dyno before the intake, at AFE, and find a turbonator? Or did you Dyno when you bought the vehicle and that is the 238 that you are using?
At least that puts the Turbonator myth to rest!!!!!

Last edited by DayBlueZ; 08-03-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is getting good.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:20 AM
nissansource

The Dyno was with the Stock setup at AFE when it did a pull of 220 hp i thought it was the mustang dyno underrating the car. when they where about to install the intake i was seeing a silver item inside my stock setup. i said holly s h i t wait a min pulled out the turbonator that the previous owner musta installed and slapped the stock stuff in place again and ran once moreand laid 238. Those turbonators do not help so i guess it rests that myth it actually hurt the cars numbers. we had a small chuckle at AFE and then left. ive done about 78 miles already on the car.... im letting a partner take my car to victorville with him today and tomarrow at lunch time im hitting a dynojet!

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z