Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:41 PM
VeeTec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the JWT pop charger last night, and now I am glad I did.

$109.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:54 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roggan
So by the look of that concidering your previous baseline of 228 (hehe or 238) its a max 10hp gain on the cold run and 2-3hp on the other 2... I was expecing some 5-10 hp gain and i would say this just confirms that.
If I understand what happened here, the stock baseline was at AFE and came in at 238. A different dyno at Hook-ups was used with the intake and came in at 237. Until we get the dyno at AFE with intake, or a baseline dyno at Hook-ups dyno, we wont have a proper comparison because the numbers are from two different dynos.

Nissansource, please correct me if I'm mistaken. And, thanks for your time on this.

Frankly, I'd be surprised with more than 5 hp gain. Really, Nissan engineered the Z to make every ounce of power possible. If there was room for another 21 hp/19 tq, Nissan would have done it. The fact that it's so hard to get any NA gains on the Z is a tribute to Nissan's engineering.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:53 AM
vfr350

I think what we really know is that dynoing an intake is not accurate, I know of no one that drives around with there hood open. Plus, the dyno environment does not create the pressurization that driving can do. Plus what works on a dyno may no work on the street. Take for example, 2 stroke snowmobile pipe design. What may make great numbers on the dyno, put it on a sled and its not the same. One must take into consideration the pipe temp outside, which may never be the same as the dyno because of the cool outside ai flowing over it. Tuning becomes a never ending battle. I still think My customized air box pic here would be among the better designs, but I can't figure out a way to "turn off" the bottom inlet if I drove in rain. If you have an idea, let me know. But unitl then it remains untested.
Attached Thumbnails 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-dsc00108.jpe  
Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 AM
nissansource

Originally Posted by vfr350
I think what we really know is that dynoing an intake is not accurate, I know of no one that drives around with there hood open. Plus, the dyno environment does not create the pressurization that driving can do. Plus what works on a dyno may no work on the street. Take for example, 2 stroke snowmobile pipe design. What may make great numbers on the dyno, put it on a sled and its not the same. One must take into consideration the pipe temp outside, which may never be the same as the dyno because of the cool outside ai flowing over it. Tuning becomes a never ending battle. I still think My customized air box pic here would be among the better designs, but I can't figure out a way to "turn off" the bottom inlet if I drove in rain. If you have an idea, let me know. But unitl then it remains untested.
yah you are 100% right. Im not going to fabricate any stories about this intake. I really do like it and seems to have really waken up the car. it did show numbers made me happy especially in 95 degree weather
Old 08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
nissansource

i havnt went to afe yet i have to give them a call after a meeting and set up the time
im sorry i quooted 238 i think i was reminded that it was lower like 228ish not to sure.. ill find out when im at AFE
Old 08-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:28 AM
raptorbh12

well im taking myself off this posts mailing list now. About time too.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:40 AM
ZinMiami

Give Nissansource a little time. He does work for a living so I am sure he can't just drop everything and get the dynos done then posted, etc. I'm sure he has a life too. If nothing happens over the next few days then forget about it but for now lets be a little patient.

If anyine here is dissappointed because it may not seem the intake is going to deliver 21HP thats was just wishfull thinking to begin with. You should no better than to expect a manufacturers dyno to be accurate. I don't care who it is. They are going to try every concievable scenario till they get a dyno that looks great and go with that. Even if it can never be duplicated again.

I bought it because the cost didn't bother me and I just wanted to try it myself. I am dissappointed at the fact that my vendor sold me old inventory with a filter that is not the current open ended cone type, which should flow a bit better. I didn't find out until I had already modified the airbox to fit better, so now I can't return it. I am also dissappointed that for a very pricey item the fitment was so poor.

But as for not delivering 21HP, I never thought it would.

Last edited by ZinMiami; 08-06-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:35 AM
nissansource

havnt dynoed on friday... ill get with AFE next week sorry guys schedual was hard to juggle around at the end of the week like it was
Old 08-09-2005, 03:15 AM
ZinMiami

Anyone have any updates? Nissansource wasn't the only one testing and dynoing if I recall.

Helloooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 08-09-2005, 06:42 AM
nissansource

Hey hows it going im contacting AFE today to schedual the car..... Been a busy week sorry guys
Old 08-10-2005, 03:11 PM
DayBlueZ

?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:26 PM
johnnyD

After reading every post on these 12 pages, two things are evident: 1. There are lots of people with gobs of faith on this thread. 2. This thing isn't going to yield 21hp. If it did, would you ever buy another Nissan? I'd like to think that Nissan would rather sell a 320hp Z if all it took was some intake tubing. Very entertaining, although I thought it was going to be a technical discussion. Oh well...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:44 PM
nissansource

Dyno happends on Friday @ 12ish at AFE
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Bran_BranZ33

Originally Posted by johnnyD
After reading every post on these 12 pages, two things are evident: 1. There are lots of people with gobs of faith on this thread. 2. This thing isn't going to yield 21hp. If it did, would you ever buy another Nissan? I'd like to think that Nissan would rather sell a 320hp Z if all it took was some intake tubing. Very entertaining, although I thought it was going to be a technical discussion. Oh well...
first post is a good one. how rare is that
Old 08-11-2005, 01:38 AM
the7ferret

+1 This guy I feel is gonna put down some good knowledge later on.
welcome to the forum.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 AM
johnnyD

Thank you very much. I can already tell this is not the vBoard (just traded in a Spec for a 35th Anniv)... Maybe it has to do with the age/maturity of the members, or maybe it's just because you can string more than three words together that make sense and can actually spell. You guys have a great tool for dispensing information on our cars. Keep it up!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:29 AM
ZinMiami

I for one was not expecting even my wildest dreams a 21HP boost. I was hoping that it would yield a little more than the typical 2-3HP others have yielded. Mostly due to the MAF placement. Injen is making big claims on a similar design. Hopefully Nissansource's session on Friday will be bring news and closure for this thread.

On another point, how does detonation sound on this car? Does any panel light come on during the event. A previous car I had did that via the CEL light. Since the intake I think I can hear some light pinging during acceleration/load but it is very faint sound and I am not sure.

Previous cars I've had that did detonate for some reason were usually unmistakable in the sound that it made.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
I for one was not expecting even my wildest dreams a 21HP boost. I was hoping that it would yield a little more than the typical 2-3HP others have yielded. Mostly due to the MAF placement. Injen is making big claims on a similar design. Hopefully Nissansource's session on Friday will be bring news and closure for this thread.

On another point, how does detonation sound on this car? Does any panel light come on during the event. A previous car I had did that via the CEL light. Since the intake I think I can hear some light pinging during acceleration/load but it is very faint sound and I am not sure.

Previous cars I've had that did detonate for some reason were usually unmistakable in the sound that it made.
Based on you rmods unless you are running 87 octane or lower I sincerely doubt you are pinging. I have heard a Z ping and believe me you can tell.

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z