Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:28 PM
cyphr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to call the shop and find out whether or not they are going to be using a low sensitivity spark plug clip during the dyno. The Z needs it because of the distributorless ignition. I had a friend of mine dyno his Z without the clip and his dyno cut out after 5500rpm
Old 08-17-2005, 09:18 PM
trescincuenta

Originally Posted by Beeker

Is there anything else I should know? I hate being a noob and I don't want to ask or do something stupid.

Make sure you don't do your baseline and then put the headers on and dyno the same day. You need to drive for a week or two witht he headers to let the ECU learn.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:27 AM
PartshipperJeff

Pay particular attention to where your power comes into play. I like dyno charts...i love them but they also don't tell the whole story.

With my old racer i had i would see dyno runs that were 8whp more at 9000 rpms with say 4ft lbs of torque on that run at say 6k rpms. I knew that the other cam gear settings were where i was going to run the fastest when it was only 4whp more at 9000 rpms but i had 8ft lbs at 6k rpms. That 6k rpms is where i was at on my 2nd to 3rd shift point and it helped me down track. Dyno numbers are deceiving when real world means more.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 AM
PartshipperJeff

Originally Posted by trescincuenta
Make sure you don't do your baseline and then put the headers on and dyno the same day. You need to drive for a week or two witht he headers to let the ECU learn.

on these Z's....you can't reset the ECU between runs?

don't beat me but just comparing notes...

On a honda you reset the ecu by doing one of a few things...disconnect ecu for a few minutes or pull the ecu fuse and backup for a few minutes. The processors aren't that slow that they need a week to figure it out. As soon as the sensors get a reading the ecu instantly calculates whats happening and changes things to suite whats going on. The only issues that the honda crowd had was... obd 2 liked to change what it just learned over a little time and bring settings back to stock in turn nullifying the mods to an extent. Easy fix...remove and replace fuse ever now and then.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Beeker

I just got back! I did 3 runs. The first two had some electrical interference after 6000 rpms. We repositioned the wire under the hood for the last run and it cleared up the interference. Even with the interference I was able to get readouts. Each run was almost indentical. I ran the first one in 4th and the the last two in 5th. The first run hit @232 hp. The last two in fifth where high 220's. The last run is the chart he printed out for me because it was the only complete chart.

He gave me an uncorrected, sae corrected and a sae corrected A/F chart. The uncorrected chart reads 230.95 hp and 224.35 tq. The SAE corrected chart reads 228.84 hp and 222.29 tq. Not too bad for an 05 ZR with only a popcharger installed.

The A/F chart looks decent it stays between a low of @12.3 at 3500rpms to a high of @13.7 at 4250 rpms. It drops from @13.5 at 5250rpms down to @12.7 at 6600rpms. I don't know alot about A/F so I don't know if that is good or bad.

I should be receiving the headers next week. Hopefully I will be able to get them installed by the end of the month.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:50 PM
partshipperdave

nice. glad it worked out ok for the baseline runs.

Let me know when you get to the install and if you have any questions I'll do my best to help out!

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:27 PM
DXB350Z

sorry guys but i am a noob...what do you guys think of the nismo headers?? are they worth each buck in the price tag??
Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by DXB350Z
sorry guys but i am a noob...what do you guys think of the nismo headers?? are they worth each buck in the price tag??
Use the search function and you'll get a wealth of information.

Lou
Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
knicksinny

Beeker did you get the headers yet?
Please post a review because I am seriously considering purchasing these headers before the sale ends at the end of this month,
Old 08-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Beeker

I should be getting them tomorrow according to the tracking info. I probably won't get them installed for a few weeks though. I am going to try to get them installed ASAP but I'm not sure when I'm going to have the time to do it. I will post a full review as soon as they are installed. I am also going to get them dynoed after they are on for a few weeks.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Beeker

They came in today. I will post again once I get them installed.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 AM
partshipperdave

nice! glad to see you got them ok. if u are planning to install them yourself, and have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I ordered AlphaWerks headers from...

Originally Posted by onyx350z
What about the Alphaworks headers, they claim just as good of gains as Crawford and Avalon has a special on them for $400. The reason I ask is I was thinking of getting some headers myself but wondering if the gains are worth the $400 and the 6 hour labor install = a total around $1000 for how much rwhp? I have all the bolt ons except cams and the headers, is the $ worth it?
Avalon Racing August 22. $440 shipped. Have not arrived yet. Don't know if Avalon is still honoring the price. Before I placed the order, I watched an AlphaWerks install on a 350Z. Quality of material, fit and finish are impressive.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:49 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Headers arrived from Avalon Racing today...

6 days after placing the order. Total shipping weight 16 pounds. My knowledge of quality of materials and manufacturing technique is limited, but these are an impressive example of craftsmanship.

Last edited by davidv; 08-29-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Demonteverde

Originally Posted by partshipperdave
nice. glad it worked out ok for the baseline runs.

Let me know when you get to the install and if you have any questions I'll do my best to help out!

Thanks!
Quick question, Dave. How does your headers differ from the DC sports headers and what is the piping diamter you are using?

My oppinion is that the Crawford headers are the best. I've seen them dyno personally with the other Crawford products and they made gains up to 250HP, 256TQ (rounded figures). Next headers I like are the copy cat nismo headers made by BRM. But they are both damn expensive and that why I went with DC Sports headers. I recommend Strup headers too. I was orignally set on getting them but someone offered me a really great deal on cheap unused DC's and I had to jump on them.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:45 AM
partshipperdave

The Strup headers are made of T-304 #1 grade stainless steel tubing, polished to a bright luster. 1 5/8” mandrel bent tubing X .065 wall thickness.
Flange is 3/8” thick stainless steel. All headers are TIG welded construction - made in the USA - not shipped from overseas!

The vendor classified should answer your other questions regarding differences:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135100

They are designed differently in that the pipes are bent tighter to allow better clearance so you don't have to lift the engine or drop the tranny like others have suggested the need to do when installing the DC or alphawerks headers. Install time is like 4-6 hours depending on the wrench. One customer did it himself on his Z in like 3 1/2 hours on jack stands!

PM me with any other questions!

Thanks for the recent orders guys! Will ship today.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Demonteverde
Quick question, Dave. How does your headers differ from the DC sports headers and what is the piping diamter you are using?

My oppinion is that the Crawford headers are the best. I've seen them dyno personally with the other Crawford products and they made gains up to 250HP, 256TQ (rounded figures). Next headers I like are the copy cat nismo headers made by BRM. But they are both damn expensive and that why I went with DC Sports headers. I recommend Strup headers too. I was orignally set on getting them but someone offered me a really great deal on cheap unused DC's and I had to jump on them.
Recently ive seen genuine nismo headers on ebay for ~700, i think they are listed right now.....
Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DavidV,
Would you mind taking and posting a photo of the inside of the collector? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-headers246.jpg  
Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
DavidV,
Would you mind taking and posting a photo of the inside of the collector? thanks.

Here ya go I received mine 2 weeks ago for the special price of $440 from avalon. I haven't installed them yet maybe next week.
Attached Thumbnails Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-alphawerk-headers0001.jpg   Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-alphawerk-headers0002.jpg   Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-alphawerk-headers0004.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 04:43 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
Here ya go I received mine 2 weeks ago for the special price of $440 from avalon. I haven't installed them yet maybe next week.
Thank you denchan,
Those look identical to my TopSpeed headers and to a posted pic I saw of the Nismos. I can't find it right now, but someone had also posted in that thread the same shot of the collector for the DCs and it looked amazing...had the smoothest merge collector of any I've seen.

Quick Reply: Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?