Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Demonteverde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of the SS DC Sports collector:
Attached Thumbnails Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-imgp1918.jpg   Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-imgp1924.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
partshipperdave

uh oh... the collector battle again!

The DC ones look like they've been filed smooth..?

Here is the Strup collector.

Same smooth finish with the welds merging the pipes together, but no need to file them. and quality is noticeable with all the welds and where the pipes mate to the flanges, etc..

Of course, I'm biased cause I sell them and I know Charlie Wenstrup at Strup. His company and attention to detail and customer service is exceptional. That's why we've chosen to work with him exclusively.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:51 AM
ReavTek

The Alphawerks collector looks like garbage, the strup is slightly better, but those DC sports look clean. How would one go about rounding everything off if he got something like the alphawerks?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:12 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, here are my TopSpeed then, so we have them all in one place:
After looking again, I see no appreciable difference in collector quality between Strup, TopSpeed and Alphaworks—they all have the same leftover welding flash. I'm sure the DCs would look the same if they didn't take the extra time to grind them, or did you do that Demonteverde?
Attached Thumbnails Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-topspeed.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 09:21 AM
thawk408

Does anyone have a pic of the Crawford's?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:02 PM
Landbarger

I know this is different, but while we're looking at collectors, anyone have a shot of the XERD Longtube collector?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Demonteverde

Originally Posted by thawk408
Does anyone have a pic of the Crawford's?
Here's a picture of an FGC club member's crawford headers.

No, I never grinded down my DC Sports header collectors, I bought them unused from someone who took advantage of the Summit Racing error and they came like that.
Attached Thumbnails Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-img_1538.jpg   Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-img_1539.jpg   Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-img_1533.jpg  

Last edited by Demonteverde; 08-31-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Demonteverde
Here's a picture of an FGC club member's crawford headers.

No, I never grinded down my DC Sports header collectors, I bought them unused from someone who took advantage of the Summit Racing error and they came like that.
They just look so beautiful.....
Old 08-31-2005, 09:05 PM
kzshin

wow, DC looks really nice.

By the way, why there are all the hype about crowdford???? Are they really that good??? compare to what???? Top Secret header??? Fujitsubo header??? Amuse Header???? Tomei header???? or just Topspeed and Borla???

and also, I have never seen Alphawerk in Japanese magazine, or major Japanese race. Are they really Japnese product???
Old 08-31-2005, 10:02 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kzshin
wow, DC looks really nice.

By the way, why there are all the hype about crowdford???? Are they really that good??? compare to what???? Top Secret header??? Fujitsubo header??? Amuse Header???? Tomei header???? or just Topspeed and Borla???

and also, I have never seen Alphawerk in Japanese magazine, or major Japanese race. Are they really Japnese product???
alphawerks are distributed by

http://automotoring.com/
Old 09-01-2005, 04:43 AM
randyshemin@comcast.

A picture's worth a thousand words- Crawford Headers.
Long tube, equal length, true collectors, each set hand built to order...

Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well judging by the pictures of the different collectors I would say Crawfords should flow the best if you have the money. The piping merges at the collector at the same place where as the others at least have one of the pipes off. It looks like the others will have exhaust flow bouncing of the wall of the collector instead of straight thru like the crawfords I could be wrong. What do you guys think, I'm thinking about taking my alphawerks to a machine shop to have the collector smoothed out a little because they do look like crap.
Attached Thumbnails Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?-strup-header.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2005, 07:46 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
Well judging by the pictures of the different collectors I would say Crawfords should flow the best if you have the money. The piping merges at the collector at the same place where as the others at least have one of the pipes off. It looks like the others will have exhaust flow bouncing of the wall of the collector instead of straight thru like the crawfords I could be wrong. What do you guys think, I'm thinking about taking my alphawerks to a machine shop to have the collector smoothed out a little because they do look like crap.
Oh yeah, the Crawfords no doubt have the best design with that merge collector and equal length tubes. If I had it to do over again, I would have had my header's collector area smoothed out...I would think that extra material causes a lot of turbulence.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Sligh

Has any one heard anything about Borla Exhaust systems?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Z33

Just a heads-up. I talked to the Jet-Hot plant in MS yesterday, and they are without power and may be for a while, so there could be some work delays if you're sending your headers there. Wish them luck.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
partshipperdave

no doubt the crawfords are an excellent design, but to get hung up on the design of the collector being the end-all-be-all of making your decision, consider that the likes of crawford are kindof in a class of their own. hand built to order, with the extra care of making the pipes equal length and that tapered collector definitely help convince you that you got what you paid for. Small welding overlap at the neck of the collector is not going to affect overall performance or efficiency of the headers. Exhaust gases are moving so quickly through that specific point that there's nothing but turbulence as they exhaust gases merge.

The likes of Strup, DC, Alphawerks, etc, all share a similar design with regards to the collector etc., 'cause it's a proven design that's more cost effective to produce and allows those companies to present a product of comparable quality and performance to the likes of the Crawford headers at a fraction of the price. Really, it allows people on a tighter upgrade budget to get VERY similar performance and quality without breaking the bank on the initial purchase and then the install.

So then it comes down to what's the best of the rest, eh? ;o)

STRUP BABY! )
Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Z350Lover

I also heard that equal length (tuned length) or uneven length does not make too much difference though... but why would people really care about equal length or not?

cheers,

richie
Old 09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
lowrider

partshipperdave

I've avoided answering you directly for some time now, but what you are saying above is simply not true. You are, in fact, full of old shoes (something my mother used to say), sounds better than FOS. Anyway, the design of the collector is important, as is the design of the header. You are correct in saying Crawford is in a class of it's own. To suggest that your Strups are close to producing the power of the Crawfords is ludicrous. Are the Strups better than the stock manifold - Yep. Are they better than the Borla header - Yep. Are they Better than Nismo or BRM - Nope.

Lou
Old 09-01-2005, 07:55 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Well, here are my TopSpeed then, so we have them all in one place:
After looking again, I see no appreciable difference in collector quality between Strup, TopSpeed and Alphaworks—they all have the same leftover welding flash. I'm sure the DCs would look the same if they didn't take the extra time to grind them, or did you do that Demonteverde?
Is that a pic of your headers before you got them coated? Thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by kzshin

No, Nexus Industries in America got the rights to reproduce the Japanese design for American Z's. Also, Nexus/Alphawerks has given the shaft to forum members (including myself) by not honoring sponshorship commitments. Don't buy anything from them, they are shady.

Quick Reply: Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?