Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Satans350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should move
Old 10-17-2005, 03:03 PM
knicksinny

Originally Posted by partshipperdave
Here's the chart that Beeker sent to me earlier this morning for you all to drool over!

Fall sale is still in effect!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146062

PM me with any questions.
Wow those are some very nice gains! I think these are the best independent dyno gains from ANY header. The gains are over the entire run not just at peak. I think I am going to have to install these over the weekend now.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by knicksinny
Wow those are some very nice gains! I think these are the best independent dyno gains from ANY header. The gains are over the entire run not just at peak. I think I am going to have to install these over the weekend now.
All I have to say is "Don't believe everything you read or see. IMO, something's wrong here.

Lou
Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by lowrider
All I have to say is "Don't believe everything you read or see. IMO, something's wrong here.

Lou
+1
Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 PM
knicksinny

I agree you "can't believe everything you read or see" but so far it seems that everyone that installs these headers are happy and either their butt dyno or actual dyno has nice gains. I just did a search and not one person that has installed these has anything negative to say about them.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Beeker

lowrider and thawk408, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to.

I have no reason to lie. I don't work for Strup and I have nothing to benefit by lying. I paid for the headers and installed them myself. I ran a baseline before I installed the headers. I then installed the Strup headers, reset the ecu and put a few hundred miles on them. I then went back to the same dyno and ran three runs. I did exactly what people on this forum told me to do!

The chart that is posted was the best before and the best after, SAE corrected runs. I was suprised to see such a large gain myself. I did post before I ran the dyno that I felt that I gained power everywhere and didn't loss any power anywhere. The dyno proved that.

I had nothing to gain by doing this. I only did it because people were asking for a before and after, independent, Strup header dyno chart. I have a grounding kit, which shouldn't make a difference, and a Motordyne thermal space that I was going to install before paying for another dyno session. I didn't install them yet because I told everyone I would do a header only before and after run. I am going back to the same dyno once I get the spacer and grounding kit installed. So basically it cost me $75.00 and three hours of my time to do this. If you guys don't appreciate it, thats fine. But a lot of people on this forum asked for it so I did it.

If you want to say that me switching to 5w30 or the lower temperature is the reason for the gain then go ahead. I tried to keep everything constant but I can't control the temperature and I switched to 5w30 because winter is coming to RI. Please don't say I am lying or am making this up. I did everything I could do to do this properly and I feel like I have.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:46 PM
kosmic

Beeker, thanks for putting your time and money into doing an independent before and after dyno. It's always kind of amusing to me how people will put down a dyno test that somebody else did with parts that are inferior in their eyes. Yes, we can ALL agree that Crawford is the best of the best, and even though they are very expensive, I'm sure they are worth every penny.

I do see a tendency for some Crawford fans tend to bash non-crawford products, ESPECIALLY headers. It's understandable to want to justify the money and install costs/time they have in their product, but to write everything else off as inferior is a bit narrow-minded IMO. Notice that nobody with nismo headers or any other brand headers questioned your dyno run.

I think that MOST of the people following this thread DO appreciate your efforts.

Kos
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Demonteverde

wow, for a Z with only a popcharger and strup headers, those are some good gains. Now I really can't wait to slap on my DC's.

You've actually made more power than any N/A cars (G35 & 350Z) i've seen dyno with high flow cats, headers (crawford & nismo), plenum and intake combined at any of my club's dyno days. And thats why I have to take your dyno chart with a grain of salt and question it

Nonetheless, those are some great numbers put down by your car. You should be very happy.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:24 AM
the7ferret

Makes me want to get mine dynoed...
OF course I have put quite a few miles on it.

BUt none the less I felt the difference right away..
Old 10-18-2005, 04:38 AM
lowrider

Originally Posted by Beeker
lowrider and thawk408, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to.

I have no reason to lie. I don't work for Strup and I have nothing to benefit by lying. I paid for the headers and installed them myself. I ran a baseline before I installed the headers. I then installed the Strup headers, reset the ecu and put a few hundred miles on them. I then went back to the same dyno and ran three runs. I did exactly what people on this forum told me to do!

The chart that is posted was the best before and the best after, SAE corrected runs. I was suprised to see such a large gain myself. I did post before I ran the dyno that I felt that I gained power everywhere and didn't loss any power anywhere. The dyno proved that.

I had nothing to gain by doing this. I only did it because people were asking for a before and after, independent, Strup header dyno chart. I have a grounding kit, which shouldn't make a difference, and a Motordyne thermal space that I was going to install before paying for another dyno session. I didn't install them yet because I told everyone I would do a header only before and after run. I am going back to the same dyno once I get the spacer and grounding kit installed. So basically it cost me $75.00 and three hours of my time to do this. If you guys don't appreciate it, thats fine. But a lot of people on this forum asked for it so I did it.

If you want to say that me switching to 5w30 or the lower temperature is the reason for the gain then go ahead. I tried to keep everything constant but I can't control the temperature and I switched to 5w30 because winter is coming to RI. Please don't say I am lying or am making this up. I did everything I could do to do this properly and I feel like I have.
I never called you a liar. If you got that impression, I sincerely apologize. However, IMO, something is wrong here. Something changed, beside the oil, Temp? SAE corrected? operator?, don't know what, but something was different. The stock manifolds do not flow that that bad. And, Yes, I have Crawfords with Hi-Flows and Invidia G200 exhaust, and Luv 'em. Your results, however good they look, seem just too good to be true.

The Strups, DC, Alphawerks, et el, are bassically the same design header, and no one has reported results like this. And when you look at those headers, well I'm just mystified

Lou
Old 10-18-2005, 06:36 AM
knicksinny

thanks for posting the dyno

Last edited by knicksinny; 10-18-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Beeker

lowrider, I accept your apology. I can tell you that nothing changed other than what I posted. I did all the runs myself. I did them all in 5th gear and all I use is 93 octane gasoline.
I also have the UNCORRECTED SAE numbers. Baseline was 230.68hp and 223.96tq. With the the headers 245.51hp and 239.61tq. Uncorrected shows a slightly smaller gain but still very impressive.

If you guys have any other questions just let me know. I will answer them the best I can.

I must say that I can definately feel the increase in power. If I didn't have the tcs on I would have been sideways a few times when shifting from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3. Before I installed the headers that didn't happen anywhere near as easily. It really makes me wonder what it must feel like to drive a 400+hp tt z!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Beta99

Originally Posted by lowrider
The Strups, DC, Alphawerks, et el, are bassically the same design header, and no one has reported results like this. And when you look at those headers, well I'm just mystified

Lou
Here are before and after dynos of the alphawerks header on a stock 5AT, NOT that far off.

Before

After
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
blueper4mancez

alphawerks makes so much ponnies , new to the forum
Old 10-19-2005, 07:17 AM
EM-EFER

How can these header have so much more hp then a header almost 100% identical. The DC give 1whp at peak but 13whp in the mid range. Only reason why I am skeptical. I am in the midst of buying DC headers for 275 used... not sure what to do!!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:22 AM
EM-EFER

BTW... Partsshipperdave... what are these GSPEC Strup headers all about??
Old 10-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beeker
l So basically it cost me $75.00 and three hours of my time to do this. If you guys don't appreciate it, thats fine. But a lot of people on this forum asked for it so I did it.
I for one appreciate your efforts. Too many people that have a dog in the fight - either to defend their biases, or to defend their choice in headers. I'm not a expert but you did what was asked and the numbers do speak very highly of the gains. If there was something wrong in the testing please let's hear of it so that mistake isn't made again.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM
partshipperdave

hey lukesnyder.. as for the GSPEC Strup headers, I'm confused too. Sounds like you might be confusing two of our manufacturer's products together. We sell GTSpec chassis and suspension braces, and also sell Strup headers.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 PM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by partshipperdave
hey lukesnyder.. as for the GSPEC Strup headers, I'm confused too. Sounds like you might be confusing two of our manufacturer's products together. We sell GTSpec chassis and suspension braces, and also sell Strup headers.
They arent strup I just noticed. They say to contact you for a price. Anymore info on them.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:05 AM
partshipperdave

lukesnyder, check your PM. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?