Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Anyway to get rid of RASP!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:02 PM
COJ_General

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyway to get rid of RASP!?!?!

I just installed some test pipes in my car and wow...I am quite disappointed in the sense that there is SOOOOOOOOO MUCH RASP!!!!! I mean, I knew that there would be some rasp, but I never figured it would be that much. Now is there anyway to get rid of some/all the rasp made from the test pipes (e.x. adding something as oppose to switching out the test pipes)? As well, I was informed that it might have been the combination with the APEX-i exhaust that I have.....when the car was moving there was never any rasp from the exhaust (when the test pipes werent there), but when I started the car there was this raspy sound that occured until the car got a little warmer.....first off is that normal to happen and could it be the mufflers? because my buddy got a full custom dual exhaust from the same place using the same test pipes and there is not one bit of rasp from his car....so if anyone can give me some info or thoughts...please help! thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 PM
lovetoclown

More than likely it's the test pipes. Normaly test pipes cause more rasp than some high flow cats. But the exhaust has some to do with it also. I have the Fujitsubo Legalis R and R/T hi flow cats and I have no rasp at all.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test pipes cause rasp even with the stock exhaust. resonateds cause less, hf cats even less. if you want no rasp at all, put your stock cats back on.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:01 AM
Zexy

Yep...Put your stock cats back on or buy aftermarket ones.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 AM
COJ_General

thanks for the info. im gonna see about getting a different exhaust. ive really been wanting to go with the HKS so this could be my chance!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Roggan

The Apexi N1 is according to the sound clips ive heard one of the raspiest exhaust (acctually i like abit of rasp) So i could imagine it would be quite natural that testpipes with the N1 would be quite raspy.

The N1 was one of the top 3 exhaust i was concidering for my Z but i finally went with the HKS for the exotic/tuned sound and nice looks, it will also match my upcomming bodykit rear spoiler better.

From the sound clips ive heard (quite poor ones) the HKS exhaust with testpipes does not seam to produce any rasp.

/Roger
Old 08-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Gman2004

Give it a few weeks and the sound will grow on you, if not just slap on a TT and you will loose the rasp.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, put your stock cats back on...

When im driving my car around I have my DC Headers, Stock Cats, NISMO Exhaust...

When I go to the track I put the test pipes on... Not worth the few extra HP on the street where I cant legally use it (the speed that is) with all the extra noise...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:27 PM
John

Originally Posted by COJ_General
thanks for the info. im gonna see about getting a different exhaust. ive really been wanting to go with the HKS so this could be my chance!
As everyone else has stated, changing your exhaust won't make any difference. If you want to get rid of your rasp, you need to ditch the test pipes.

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
When I go to the track I put the test pipes on...
Either you have a lot of free time or you get the work done for free and/or you don't go to the track enough, because swapping out those test pipes is too much of a painful process for just a weekend.

Last edited by John; 08-17-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John

Either you have a lot of free time or you get the work done for free and/or you don't go to the track enough, because swapping out those test pipes is too much of a painful process for just a weekend.
Its good to work at Performance NISSAN...

Get it done while I work

Gotta pay though :-/

But good to have mechanics as your friend too!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Zexy

Buddy...Rasp with test pipes and the HKS is A POSITIVE. It won't get any better/less raspier.

I get serious rasp but i'm the type who can give a **** less and thinks it sounds good with the HKS piece.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Roggan

From the sound clips ive heard (quite poor ones) the HKS exhaust with testpipes does not seam to produce any rasp.

/Roger
BULLSHAT. Not true. Read my sig i know.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:24 AM
COJ_General

Yeah hopefully I can go ahead and get a turbo soon enough!!! But for now I guess ill have to deal with it until I can swap something out! As well, the SES light just came on....does the ECU need to adjust for it to turn off? They installed O2 sims so it wasn't on after install but suddenly came on a day or two after.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Zexy

Go to autozone and buy 2 packs of 18mm long tapered spark plug non foulers. Drill a 1/2" hole on a set so the o2 sensors fit in them and use the other set to connect to the pipes. Reset the ecu and it should not come back.

Or just invest in a o2 simulator.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Zexy
Go to autozone and buy 2 packs of 18mm long tapered spark plug non foulers. Drill a 1/2" hole on a set so the o2 sensors fit in them and use the other set to connect to the pipes. Reset the ecu and it should not come back.

Or just invest in a o2 simulator.

+1 on the non foulers. Here are more detailed instructions.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66426
Old 08-18-2005, 07:17 AM
Roggan

Originally Posted by Zexy
BULLSHAT. Not true. Read my sig i know.
Hehe ok, the clips i heard was even worse then i thought then hehe

I have a HKS exhaust on the way, payed 3 weeks ago, the dealer is waiting to get it from HKS and then ship it, should have been 2 weeks accoridng to the dealer when i ordered...

I like rasp, only propperly tuned cars can produce rasp!! I will fitt HF cats though to prevent CEL and to keep the car street legal.

Zexy do you think you could record some sound clips from your car?? I need something to ease the pain while i wait, the stock exahaust is so quiet i fall asleep at redline... (before i fitted the open filter, now its quite loud over 4.800rpm, but its all intake)

/Roger
Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Zexy

I honestly have no sound clips and now way of getting media

Anybody in Orlando would want to?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 PM
COJ_General

WOW!!!! I have been experiencing issue after issue since I have installed the test pipes!!!! Not only with the whole rasp when the RPMs drop down....but as well when the RPMs are droping down I am getting a REALLY loud Shutter/vibration coming from the back of the car....im not sure what it is but it sounds like the license plate + exhaust or something back there is shaking and shuttering like heck! Now it only happened after the test pipes but it sounds very disturbing! like something is going to fall out!! As well, until I get those things to put in the O2 sim area, I tried resetting the ECU since I heard it will adjust for like 100miles or so....I reset it and like 15-20miles later it comes back on so im gonna take it into the shop to see exactly whats going on with the CEL but does anyone know what that shutter/rumble/vibration from the back might be? maybe a leak? I have really no clue!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Mantis3024

WOW!!!! I have been experiencing issue after issue since I have installed the test pipes!!!! Not only with the whole rasp when the RPMs drop down....but as well when the RPMs are droping down I am getting a REALLY loud Shutter/vibration coming from the back of the car....im not sure what it is but it sounds like the license plate + exhaust or something back there is shaking and shuttering like heck! Now it only happened after the test pipes but it sounds very disturbing! like something is going to fall out!! As well, until I get those things to put in the O2 sim area, I tried resetting the ECU since I heard it will adjust for like 100miles or so....I reset it and like 15-20miles later it comes back on so im gonna take it into the shop to see exactly whats going on with the CEL but does anyone know what that shutter/rumble/vibration from the back might be? maybe a leak? I have really no clue!
I have that sound too, sounds kind of like a rattlesnake. I'd recommend you leave them on for a little longer. I was very annoyed with the rasp at first but now I like it. It sounds much better from the outside.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:17 PM
COJ_General

See I also get that rattlesnake sound when the car is decelerating but around 3000rpm---->2000rpm there is a really LOUD shutter coming from the back as if there is too much air trying to come out of the car and just rattles everything back there....I was driving with a friend yesterday and the instant he heard that his first comment was WTF was that? So its very interesting.....I hope nothing is wrong!!!

Quick Reply: Anyway to get rid of RASP!?!?!