Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:45 PM
MarquisDeSam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure everything is tight with no leaks and you should have no CEL. Helix boasts that they won't throw off CEL, but with enough exhaust flow, CEL will go off. Nothing a little OBD-manipulator can't fix.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Alex,

Yes, from 2004.5 to present, they throw CEL from what we've seen. Unfortunately we have no current knowledge of a fix for it either. Sorryz.
This is killing me. I have been posting a $10 fix for this for MONTHS and MONTHS.

HELP! nonfoulers, part # 42002 or 42009 - either will work.
Buy two packs for a total of '4' nonfoulers. Take two of the four and drill them out with a 1/2" drill bit. Take the two NONdrilled nonfoulers and screw one into each test pipe. Then screw one drilled nonfouler into them on each bank. Now, install the o2 sensors into drilled nonfouler and you are done.

Each bank should look like this

o2 sensor -> DRILLED nonfouler -> NON drilled nonfouler -> test pipe

Make sure the code is cleared before running the car as the fix will keep the SES light away, but 'may' not clear it if it was already thrown.

Originally Posted by MarquisDeSam
Just make sure everything is tight with no leaks and you should have no CEL. Helix boasts that they won't throw off CEL, but with enough exhaust flow, CEL will go off. Nothing a little OBD-manipulator can't fix.
It isn't a matter of too much flow, it is a matter of how 'clean' the exhaust gas is. The ECU runs a check to ensure the downstream sensors are reading 'cleaner' than those upstream. If they are at the same readings, the car assumes the cats aren't working properly and you throw a code.

From my experience there are no "obd-manipulator", MIL eliminator, or o2 sims that solve this problem. The nonfoulers are the easiest, cheapest method to resolve this issue.

PM if you have questions.

Last edited by Zivman; 09-20-2005 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zivman
This is killing me. I have been posting a $10 fix for this for MONTHS and MONTHS.

HELP! nonfoulers, part # 42002 or 42009 - either will work.
Buy two packs for a total of '4' nonfoulers. Take two of the four and drill them out with a 1/2" drill bit. Take the two NONdrilled nonfoulers and screw one into each test pipe. Then screw one drilled nonfouler into them on each bank. Now, install the o2 sensors into drilled nonfouler and you are done.

Each bank should look like this

o2 sensor -> DRILLED nonfouler -> NON drilled nonfouler -> test pipe

Make sure the code is cleared before running the car as the fix will keep the SES light away, but 'may' not clear it if it was already thrown.

It isn't a matter of too much flow, it is a matter of how 'clean' the exhaust gas is. The ECU runs a check to ensure the downstream sensors are reading 'cleaner' than those upstream. If they are at the same readings, the car assumes the cats aren't working properly and you throw a code.

From my experience there are no "obd-manipulator", MIL eliminator, or o2 sims that solve this problem. The nonfoulers are the easiest, cheapest method to resolve this issue.

PM if you have questions.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. My reply was to say that we have no current knowlege of a fix. Thanks for the post. Very informative.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:12 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the non-fouler method has worked for MANY MANY people. It should be in a FAQ in the intake/exhaust section somewhere

I use it on my car and I don't even have test pipes, but have all other major NA mods. It has no downside that anyone can find other than tech inspectors might go WTF do you have spark plug extenders here for? and decide that isn't good cause you're really cheating your ECU to think emissions are fine when they're not

Last edited by sentry65; 09-20-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. My reply was to say that we have no current knowlege of a fix. Thanks for the post. Very informative.
Just giving you a hard time. That info is posted in the sticky FAQ at the top of this section.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zivman
Just giving you a hard time. That info is posted in the sticky FAQ at the top of this section.
All Good!