Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

test pipe smoke ?'s.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default test pipe smoke ?'s.

I did some searches and I found a couple of threads about smoke coming out of the exhaust after installing test pipes, but there really wasnt a follow up anywhere, so I thought I would ask the question.

I bought Megan resonated pipes and installed them on my stock exhaust. Gains, sound, fitment, all are good. I've had them on for a week and the first couple of days the smell was there but, I didnt see any smoke. It was much cooler though and I really only drove my car early in the morning and in the afternoon.

Then on Monday coming home from work it was about 95 out when I'm in traffic I stop and see white smoke out my rear view mirror. It's still doing it only after I stop for around 10 seconds, then as soon as I back on the gas it goes away. It doesnt seem to be as bad as it was on Monday, but it's still there and shows up once the car is warmed up. I was able to pull over and check it out and it was defeinetly coming out the exhaust and it had the "no cat" smell to it.

Now I know it's supposed to be normal with resonated test pipes, but about how long should it last, and if it continues what the hell could be causing this?

Sorry for the long post over a minor problem, but it's pretty anoying. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:40 PM
seanlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it shouldn't last all that long and is normal...
Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 PM
zachcrosen

When I had my exhaust system installed, I had the same issues you are talking about. Once the exhaust heated up, there was a distinct blue smoke coming out of the pipes. I was told that this was due to the protective coating on the pipes during shipment and storage and it was just burning off the pipes. It was gone after several days of driving.

I also had black smoke with the TP I previously had. I think this was due to the unburned gas. etc. coming out of the pipes from not having a cat to eliminate all of this "polluting stuff".

Maybe this helps.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Axelerate

Yeah, it defeinetly helps.

It isnt doing it as much today but, it's still there and seems to be doing it as soon as I accelerate and not so much at idle, but once the rpms climb it goes away. I guess I'll just give it some more time.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Axelerate

It still hasnt gotten any better but I did talk to a exhaust guy who helped me out.

He thinks it has to do with moisture getting into the resonators and causing the smoke, or I guess it would be steam. Since it only happens after the car is hot he said it probably has a lot to do with the humidity and the exhaust temps.

Sound right to anyone?

He recommended drilling a pen-hole sized hole in the very bottom of the resonator to allow the moisture to escape, which I might try to do tomorrow.

So, if this doesnt work I might just switch to a non-resonated type pipe. Still, it's odd that I cant find anyone else having the same problem.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:54 PM
LunchMeatMonste

I had experienced very minimal smoke after I installed my test pipes, but I attribute it to the fact my car runs a hair on the rich side, and the cats aren't there to filter it any longer. As far as drilling a hole in the resonator, I wouldn't suggest you do that. It will create the equivalent of an exhaust leak, which won't sound very nice.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Axelerate

Well I did it today and still no improvment on the smoke. I'm getting a set of used Helix non res pipes. I'm tired of messing with these and I wouldnt recommend them.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:16 PM
seanlaw

had helix for 26k miles without any leaking/condestion/cracking problems...they do make the cockpit hot though, you might want to rap them with thermotech
Old 09-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Axelerate

Well i got bored/frustrated today so I removed the test pipes and sure enough there is white smoke coming right out of my headers! So the problem is not my $100 ebay test pipes, but my $25,000 car.

I'll be making a trip first thing to the dealer to break in my 75,000 mile warranty. I sort of had a gut fealing that it was the motor, and I also checked the oil and it was a quart low! So tommorow will be interesting.

Oh, and open header is freaking LOUD! My neighbors came outside to see what the noise was. I'll let everyone know what I find out, and I've got a few freinds at the dealership so I'm not worried.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 AM
nada808

it will take long timeto get rid off ur somke...cuz cat-del pipe will increase ur temperture in ur piping to exhaust....means it will burn inside of ur exhaust system....i had for 4 days..and still smoking...so open up ur exhaust and take all out and weld back on....even tho u put stock pipe back on ur exhaust will still buring ur exhaust till the end since it already melt inside.....mah opinion is leave ur test pipe on and let it burn....