Old 03-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When can we expect the dyno results?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:46 AM
deviljon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any visible differences between the 287 and 300 lower plenums? i put em side by side today and couldn't see any difference...
Old 03-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Haha!

Thanks guys! BTW Good news from the dyno!

Of course I have recieved a million requests from people to purchase the MREV for their 287 HP engine. And I always have to turn them down because they already have the 287 HP lower collector and all they need to do is add a spacer. This is what makes a MREV.

But you know that machining process I have been doing to make the MREV PLUS lower collectors?... Well I dynod it on a 287 engine yesterday and it worked surprisingly good. ..I've been advertising to the REVUP guys that the machining process to the lower collector is good for about 2 HP but based on a quick analysis of yesterdays data, it did much more! At least on the 287 engine it did about 5 HP more! And it made gains over a wide portion of the curve.

I'm importing all the data into Excel now for detailed analysis and plotting. It will be posted soon.

...Very interesting results on a G35 Sedan. (basically a 287 HP engine with a little more restrictive exhaust)

Here was the dyno test sequence:
1) Dyno of a stock plenum
2) Dyno of a 5/16" plenum spacer
3) Dyno of only a modified lower collector (with no spacer)
4) Dyno of a modified lower collector (with a spacer)

What is so interesting to see is that the machined (modified) collector, by itself, outperformed the 5/16" spacer! ...not so much in peak power, but it clearly added more area under the curve and more torque!

The modified lower collector was then dynod with the spacer and the two symbiotically worked together to make even better gains.

The 287 lower collector machining process makes power in a way the spacers and plenums cant. I don't want to say how, but it does. It even added power at a surprisingly low RPM.

A modified 287 collector is a worth while mod on its own. (for 287 engine or as a MREV+ mod for the REVUP engine.)

Weather you are stock or have a spacer or have a plenum, this mod makes power independantly of them. If you do have a plenum or spacer it works even better with them.

We have a new way to make HP on the 287 engine!!!

All the technical details will be available soon. I'll start a new thread on it shortly.

Tony
Is this what you were talking to me about via PM? I tried calling you a few times 2 weeks ago and your wife took down my number for you. I tried calling you this week as well to see if you wanted to test anything since the dyno day is coming saturday.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Is this what you were talking to me about via PM? I tried calling you a few times 2 weeks ago and your wife took down my number for you. I tried calling you this week as well to see if you wanted to test anything since the dyno day is coming saturday.
Right on Dogg!

Check this out. Analysis is done!

So yes, MREV+ can be installed on a 287 engine.

Note to All: If you already have a spacer, all you need to do is modify the lower collector and it will make more torque and horse power! In addition to more area under the curve, it will kick up the peak HP by approximatly 4-5 HP.

This is a completely new catagory of plenum modification for the 287 engine!

Core exchanges are a go!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 03-31-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 AM
DOHC

Cool

Actually, most of the cooling of the plenum when the car is moving comes from the air flowing thru the grille. Close the hood and idle the car in place and you will prove it to yourself..
Someone needs to learn how to design meaningful tests. How can any thinking person believe that idling a car at 600 rpm will pull the same amount of air thorough a plenum as driving the car under load at over 3000 rpm? Answer - no one who thinks about it would believe that.

I've repeatedly measured the temperature differences of the plenum, the engine cam covers and the strut towers after driving for 20+ minutes. The plenum is significantly cooler (30-60F) than the cam covers, which are just a few inches away from the plenum. If air flow through the grill was such an efficient cooling mechanism, then the cam covers would be cool too - but they are not.

I guess some folks just have to prove they know less than the experts do...
Old 04-01-2006, 06:13 PM
NISMOFO

Hmmm, modified lower collector now. If it's cheap enough, I might be interested. The whole idea behind the spacer is that it's supposed to be cheaper than a whole new plenum while still providing awesome gains. I just don't want the cost of the spacer + collector mod = cost of new plenum.

Then again, buying aftermarket plenums usually starts a chain reaction of other mods (that you might not want to get into)...such as replacing your factory strut bar.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pricing on the lower collector mod.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:29 AM
OCG35Coupe

The modified 287 lower collector mod deserves its own thread!! Like NOw!