Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

stillen exhaust + loose bottem end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 09:05 AM
flashv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stillen exhaust + loose bottem end torque?

Hello,

I am worried if I get the stillen dual exhaust, I will loose some bottem end torque but game some higher end hp, is this correct? What of gains/losses can I expect? Just want to be sure before I drop $1000 for it.

Thanks a lot,
Flash
Old 09-16-2005, 07:02 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

rule of thumb:

dual exhaust = lose power low to get more up high

cat-back = dont lose much/any down low, but only make half the gains up top

it doesnt always work like this.....but generally this is what i gather from the 8 bajillion threads about this
Old 09-17-2005, 12:30 AM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by flashv2
Hello,

I am worried if I get the stillen dual exhaust, I will loose some bottem end torque but game some higher end hp, is this correct? What of gains/losses can I expect? Just want to be sure before I drop $1000 for it.

Thanks a lot,
Flash
If you don't want to loose low end torque, go with Nismo.

During the Sport Z Magazine exhaust shoot out, Nismo was the only exhaust that did not loose any torque & hp at low rpm.

Plus its cheaper and with the money you save with Nismo, get JWT Pop charger. With those two mods I'm sure you will you will have more hp & torque.

Stillen was over all a very good exhaust in term of hp & torque gain.

One more thing, if you want deep low noise, go with Stillen but if you like stock exhaust troaty sound but louder, go with Nismo.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:36 PM
srosa

Originally Posted by flashv2
Hello,

Thanks a lot,
Flash
I just installed a Stillen dual exhaust this a.m. and the loss of any low-end torque was not noticable to me. However the high-end gain is very noticable IMHO it sounds great too!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:40 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ssk0771
If you don't want to loose low end torque, go with Nismo.

During the Sport Z Magazine exhaust shoot out, Nismo was the only exhaust that did not loose any torque & hp at low rpm.

Plus its cheaper and with the money you save with Nismo, get JWT Pop charger. With those two mods I'm sure you will you will have more hp & torque.

Stillen was over all a very good exhaust in term of hp & torque gain.

One more thing, if you want deep low noise, go with Stillen but if you like stock exhaust troaty sound but louder, go with Nismo.
While I personally like both the Nismo and Stillen 350Z exhaust systems I wish the famous Sport Z Magazine Exhaust Shootout dyno sheets were available on line. After re-checking them in the Fall 2003 Issue I must respectfully disagree with your statement "Nismo was the only exhaust that did not loose any torque & hp at low rpm." If you look carefully at the Nismo results you'll see it lost a very slight amount of torque in the 1.9K to 2.1k rpm range.

If you care to check out all the dyno charts and peak numbers you'll see Stillen's Exhaust made more across the board torque and hp, and more peak torque than any of the other systems. It made 22.23% more peak HP and 38.36% more peak torque than the Nismo. It lost the peak horsepower race to to Borla by 1.22% but made 63.02% more peak torque than the Borla.

The Nismo system did beat the Stillen exhaust in two areas. It was 20# lighter and two db louder at 3k rpm.

Last edited by DaveO; 09-17-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:08 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by DaveO
While I personally like both the Nismo and Stillen 350Z exhaust systems, I sure wish the famous Sport Z Magazine Exhaust Shootout dyno sheets were available on line. After re-checking them in the Fall 2003 Issue I must respectfully disagree with your statement "Nismo was the only exhaust that did not loose any torque & hp at low rpm."

I'm sure you're aware that dyno readings below 2k aren't normally used as they're often unreliable. However if you look real carefully at the Nismo results you'll see it lost a very slight amount of torque in the 1.9K to 2.1k rpm range.

If you care to check out all the dyno charts and peak numbers you'll see Stillen's Exhaust made more across the board torque and hp, and more peak torque than any of the other systems. It made 22.23% more HP and 38.36% more torque than the Nismo. It lost the peak horsepower race to to Borla by 1.22% but made 63.02% more torque than the Borla.

The Nismo system did beat the Stillen exhaust in two areas. It was 20# lighter and two db louder at 3k rpm.
You may be right. I really did not look at the Dyno chart very closely. What I really meant to say was that Nismo had least amount of hp/torque loss at low rpm amongst all the exhaust that was tested. Unless you look at the dyno chart very closely, its hard to see that the loss with Nismo at low end.

Also, I NEVER SAID that Nismos beat Stillen in performance nor mention that Nismo made most torque & hp. I was just informing "flashv2" because he was concerned about loosing torque at low end. I am aware of the hp/torque number of Stillen. I also know that Stillen was one of the best performing exhaust in term of hp/torque during the exhaust shoot out. Stillen was very well balance between torque & hp unlike Borla which had real good gain in hp but produced very little torque.

Also you are using % in terms of gain which seems like a lot but in terms of real number, its not very much.

Stillen: 8 HP w/6lbs gain in torque. Stillen states 16hp gain & 14lbs in torque.

Nismo: 6 HP w/3.5lbs gain in torque. Nismo states 6hp gain & 3.5lbs in torque.

Those number are not that significant.

Between Nismo & Stillen, Just like you, I like both but for the price of Stillen Exhaust, you can get both Nismo Exhaust & JWT Pop Charger and have money left over for Intensepower.com Resonate Race Pipe.

I'm sure that with Nismo Exhaust + JWT Pop Charger + Resonate Race Pipe, you will have better number in both hp & torque than Stillen Exhaust alone.

Stillen Exhaust: $1150 www.mynismo.com & www.stillen.com

Nismo exhaust:$880 at www.nissanparts247.com
+
JWT Pop Charger:$120 at www.mynismo.com
+
Intensepower.com Resonate Race Pipe:$149 at www.intensepower.com
=Total $1149

That about same as Stillen Exhaust alone.

Last edited by ssk0771; 09-17-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:30 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any change in the intake or exhaust system will alter the torque curve. You may be able to fine tune the curve to your liking with a custom ECU programming.

Most drivers are interested in maximum horsepower at red line. You can tune for low end torque, or you can tune for maximum horsepower, but its difficult to tune for both.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:50 AM
DaveO
Sponsor

You may be right. I really did not look at the Dyno chart very closely. What I really meant to say was that Nismo had least amount of hp/torque loss at low rpm amongst all the exhaust that was tested. Unless you look at the dyno chart very closely, its hard to see that the loss with Nismo at low end.

Also, I NEVER SAID that Nismos beat Stillen in performance nor mention that Nismo made most torque & hp. I was just informing "flashv2" because he was concerned about loosing torque at low end. I am aware of the hp/torque number of Stillen. I also know that Stillen was one of the best performing exhaust in term of hp/torque during the exhaust shoot out. Stillen was very well balance between torque & hp unlike Borla which had real good gain in hp but produced very little torque.

Also you are using % in terms of gain which seems like a lot but in terms of real number, its not very much.

Stillen: 8 HP w/6lbs gain in torque. Stillen states 16hp gain & 14lbs in torque.

Those number are not that significant.

Between Nismo & Stillen, Just like you, I like both but for the price of Stillen Exhaust, you can get both Nismo Exhaust & JWT Pop Charger and have money left over for Intensepower.com Resonate Race Pipe.

I'm sure that with Nismo Exhaust + JWT Pop Charger + Resonate Race Pipe, you will have better number in both hp & torque than Stillen Exhaust alone.

Stillen Exhaust: $1150 www.mynismo.com & www.stillen.com

Nismo exhaust:$880 at www.nissanparts247.com
+
JWT Pop Charger:$120 at www.mynismo.com
+
Intensepower.com Resonate Race Pipe:$149 at www.intensepower.com
=Total $1149

That about same as Stillen Exhaust alone.
Good points. all. The numbers are small but the area under the curve isn't. Speaking of numbers, I need to correct them from the above post. Stillen made 28.57% more hp, 62.22% more torque than Nismo and 170% more torque than the Borla in our shootout.

As for pricing, at the time the article was published the price of the Nismo system was $1100 and a dealer had to install it if you wanted the "3-year - 3.6k mile factory warranty". Stillen's was $1150 and came with a limited lifetime warranty.

An article in the December 04 Turbo Magazine also tested Stillen's Exhaust and said it made "twice the power of any other 350Z system we ever tested..." (about 14 hp).
Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 PM
socalsean

You don't buy an exhaust merely on power increases alone. You should also look into how it is constructed, the type of flanges used, pipe orientation, and overall fitment. I've heard nothing but praise from people who have installed the Stillen system. Everyone says it fits like a glove. The Borla has had issues with hanger orientation alowing the passenger side pipe to hit the underbody.

Don't worry about the weight difference. 20lbs will NEVER be noticed.

sean
Old 09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarvesterUT
rule of thumb:

dual exhaust = lose power low to get more up high

cat-back = dont lose much/any down low, but only make half the gains up top

it doesnt always work like this.....but generally this is what i gather from the 8 bajillion threads about this
When will this misinformation end! Dual exhaust does not produce more power anywhere, anytime than a properly designed single exhaust. I dare someone to properly explain the physics of how it does. They can't! Because it doesn't!!!! Also, any test results that are not consistently reproducible are worthless. I'm not saying that Stillen is better than Nismo or vice versa, just don't assume any data to be true unless it is consistently reproducible. There are far too many variables to give statistical significance to a 2hp difference in a single dyno test on different cars, at different times, with different temperature conditions, etc. Anyone who has had their car dyno'd knows that you can have a 10-15hp difference between even back-back dyno runs on the same car!!!!

All these numbers are hype.

Last edited by Speedracer; 09-19-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:24 PM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by socalsean
Don't worry about the weight difference. 20lbs will NEVER be noticed.

sean
When i gained 20 lbs my mom kept telling me im getting too fat. I also got a double chin and havn't seen my toes in a while.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 PM
ssk0771

For some reason, you can find a good deal on Nismo Exhaust but not Stillen, the lowest I seen was $1150.

I currently have Stillen myself and I like it. I paid $1150 2 years ago when I had Silver 350Z Coupe.

Just one thing about Stillen. Once you put them on, its a real b!tch to take it off.

I found this out when I was switching exhaust from coupe to the roadster.

It took muffer shop over 2 hours.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:20 PM
kosmic

Finally, a voice of reason. Go Speedracer, gooooo!

Originally Posted by Speedracer
When will this misinformation end! Dual exhaust does not produce more power anywhere, anytime than a properly designed single exhaust. I dare someone to properly explain the physics of how it does. They can't! Because it doesn't!!!! Also, any test results that are not consistently reproducible are worthless. I'm not saying that Stillen is better than Nismo or vice versa, just don't assume any data to be true unless it is consistently reproducible. There are far too many variables to give statistical significance to a 2hp difference in a single dyno test on different cars, at different times, with different temperature conditions, etc. Anyone who has had their car dyno'd knows that you can have a 10-15hp difference between even back-back dyno runs on the same car!!!!

All these numbers are hype.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:05 PM
ssk0771

I think quoted wrong figuer.

Here is the results/performace of the exhaust shoot out that someone posted on the forum.

PEAK HP:
1. Borla 8.2
2. Stillen 8.1
3. Injen 7.6
4. Nismo 6.3
5. 5Zigen -3.4

PEAK Torque:
1. Stillen 7.3
2. Injen 5.1
3. Nismo 4.5
4. Borla 2.7
5. 5Zigen 0.2