Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Helix test pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 09:00 AM
jedi-z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Helix test pipes?

I plan on getting helix non resonated test pipes...How will it sound with stock exhaust? Any one have a similar setup? ...thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 09:56 AM
jedi-z

anyone???
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
bwoodballa
Banned

it will sound alright since their not resonated.
u should get the megan racing test pipes from Intense power.com
they only run $150 and eliminate rasp, but still add performance appeal.
ill be gettin mine in about a month.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a stock exhaust it may make it a bit louder, but nothing major If you go aftermarket exhaust it may be a bit raspy
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
jedi-z

will the helix non/ resonated testpipes sound annoying with stock exhaust? I heard a few bad reviews about the megan resonated testpies from intense mortor sports....I know helix is a good brand and lots of people are happy with them...?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:58 PM
time4aspliff

As a general rule of thumb (for our cars), any non-resonated pipe will yield noticeable rasp, regardless of what type of exhaust you're running. I'm currently running Helix non-resonated pipes with a JIC y-pipe with the OEM exhaust. If I give it full throttle from a stoplight, the car sounds throaty and pissed off with no rasp. However, when I apply anything less than full throttle, I consistently get buzzy rasp between 3,000-4,000 rpms.

It seems like the only way to eliminate the rasp with non-resonated pipes is to add a turbocharger.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:06 PM
FairladyZX

Can you still pass SMOG in Cali with test pipes installed? What if I go with resonated ones. Is the sound still noticable?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:57 PM
jedi-z

I live in texas ..so thats not a problem here...in cali you prob need res/
Old 09-24-2005, 12:08 PM
time4aspliff

In CA, you'll need to put your stock cats back on. There are certain smog shops that'll look the other way but it'll cost you between $200-$300.

Also those types of shops are getting harder and harder to find as they've got a lot to lose if they get caught.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jedi-z
will the helix non/ resonated testpipes sound annoying with stock exhaust? I heard a few bad reviews about the megan resonated testpies from intense mortor sports....I know helix is a good brand and lots of people are happy with them...?
I have heard the helix on two stock exhaust set ups. NO rasp. The exhaust sounded a bit hollow under light load and free rev. Under load, the exhaust sounded great. A bit louder and more exotic.

IMO, the 'rasp thing' is WAY over exagerated. You will be more than happy with the exhaust note after the test pipes -
Old 09-24-2005, 06:17 PM
jedi-z

sweet!
Old 09-25-2005, 01:47 PM
time4aspliff

Like I noted in my earlier post, I'm running Helix non-resonated testpipes with my stock exhaust and there is DEFINITE rasp (sounds like a buzz saw) between 3,000-4,000 rpm's when you're not at wide open throttle.

I've met several other people with similar configurations and they all get the chainsaw sound at around 3,000 rpm's as well so I'm sure there are plenty of other people that can vouch for me.

I've decided to keep my testpipes because I plan on going with a turbo kit in the near future.

Everybodys' taste differs so I think that you should go to a meet to see what it sounds like in person before you commit either way.

I've grown used to the noise but I've gotta be perfectly honest; when it starts to buzz, it sounds more like a souped-up normally aspirated four cylinder as opposed to an exotic sounding sportscar.

Anyway, at the end of the day, go with what you personally like because that's really all that matters.

Best of luck!
Old 09-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by time4aspliff
Like I noted in my earlier post, I'm running Helix non-resonated testpipes with my stock exhaust and there is DEFINITE rasp (sounds like a buzz saw) between 3,000-4,000 rpm's when you're not at wide open throttle.

I've met several other people with similar configurations and they all get the chainsaw sound at around 3,000 rpm's as well so I'm sure there are plenty of other people that can vouch for me.

I've decided to keep my testpipes because I plan on going with a turbo kit in the near future.

Everybodys' taste differs so I think that you should go to a meet to see what it sounds like in person before you commit either way.

I've grown used to the noise but I've gotta be perfectly honest; when it starts to buzz, it sounds more like a souped-up normally aspirated four cylinder as opposed to an exotic sounding sportscar.

Anyway, at the end of the day, go with what you personally like because that's really all that matters.

Best of luck!
you are NOT running stock exhaust. the AM y-pipe is most likely the reason you have rasp

Originally Posted by time4aspliff
I'm currently running Helix non-resonated pipes with a JIC y-pipe with the OEM exhaust.

Last edited by Zivman; 09-25-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:05 PM
time4aspliff

It actually sounded nearly identical when I was running the pipes before I got my y-pipe. In fact, it may have even been 'buzzier' prior to the y-pipe.

After installing the y-pipe, the exhuast note did get deeper (under 3,000 rpm's) but the rasp is absolutely present at certain engine speeds.

In any case, we're not on this board to dispute minor trivial details. Quite frankly, I can't believe that this issue is in question. For the past few years, it's been clearly documented (on this board and others) that non-resonated test pipes(w/o a turbo)=rasp; end of story. All you gotta do is type in a search for "test pipes" and peruse the numerous threads.

Some people like the raspy sound while others don't but there's no reason for anyone to get offended either way. [Some people like punk rock while others prefer Jazz] It's all good.

I just share my experiences the same way other people do. I can assure everyone that my accounts are 100% honest. Hopefully, my accounts can assist other posters the same way their anecdotes have helped me. That's the beauty of this board: we can exchange honest info for the benefit of all Z33/G35 owners.

Anyways, ultimately go with what makes you happy: be true to yourself...

Thanks for a great board/community and have a great Sunday everybody!