Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Borla TD or new y pipe??? long...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Beeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla TD or new y pipe??? long...

So far I have installed a popcharger and Strup headers. I just ordered Motordyne's new 5/16 thermal spacer kit. I am going to install that and a grounding kit after I dyno my car. I just installed the headers last week. I did a baseline before I installed them so I can see how much of a difference just the headers made.

Anyway, after I install the spacer and grounding kit the next thing I plan on changing is the exhaust. I may go FI, probably a supercharger, one day but that won't be for a long time, if ever.

While I was installing the headers I realized the stock Y-pipe appears to be the weakest link in the stock exhaust system. I know the cats are restrictive but I don't plan on changing them. I don't like what I've read about test pipes and hi flow cats increasing rasp and noise levels. I don't want an exhaust that has obnoxious rasp or is too loud. Its getting border line too loud now with just the popcharger and the headers installed. From what I've read it's going to get even louder once I install the spacer. What I've noticed though is all the noise is coming from the engine bay. I can barely hear the exhaust. I think a slight increase in exhaust noise will help to balance everything out.

That brings me to my questions. Am I better off just buying a new y-pipe and keeping the rest of the exhaust stock or should I change the entire exhaust? Will a more efficient Y-pipe increase the exhaust note? I know the Borla TD will give better gains than changing the y-pipe only but will the difference be that noticeable between the two?

If I do change the entire exhaust I am leaning towards the Borla TD. It appears to be a bit louder than stock but keeps the sound deep with no rasp or drone. At least, from what I've read it does. It also is fairly inexpensive compared to other systems. I've been quoted less than $800.00 shipped. It also appears to give some of the best gains for an exhaust system. If you think I am better off changing the y-pipe only what brand do you recommend? I've seen the Megan for extremely cheap but I've heard their quality is horrible.

Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to give as much info as possible so people don't just say do a search. I've read just about every post about y-pipes and exhaust systems but I'm still not sure what to do.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Beeker

Anyone?

Should I change just the y-pipe or the whole exhaust?
Old 10-15-2005, 10:27 AM
ANXIOUZ

I don't know how a different Y-pipe will change the sound given your setup but I say just get the Borla. It'll give you some deeper sounds from the rear of the car to even things out.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they y-pipe will definately change the sound of the exhaust based on the size of piping and bends used, but the borla would be the best option as far as performance is concerned.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved the Borla while I had it, but I would suggest one thing if you go with it. Have it welded as the clamps that come with the kit are garbage and it will only be a matter of time before they start to leak. I cut out the resonators and welded the whole unit and it was great.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
hendo6682

i would say get the borla td. i love mine. i gives a nice deep tone, no rasp and not too loud. i installed it myself and havent had any problems with any leaks or anything. good luck
Old 10-15-2005, 11:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Beeker

Am I better off just buying a new y-pipe and keeping the rest of the exhaust stock or should I change the entire exhaust?
No need to search for the answer, or ask for recommendations, just look at member’s modifications.