Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Need detail about Top Speed header

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Evo_Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need detail about Top Speed header

I am current doing some research on a few headers for the Z. So far i've been able to get alot of info on the Dc, stillen, and nismo headers. But there are not much info on the Top Speed headers, so if anyone owns or know anything about it stacking up against the other headers please share the vauable info.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Beeker

First you should try doing a search. There is a lot of threads on headers. Since I'm bored I'll tell you what I've learned reading all the header threads.
Top speed headers are basically a cheap copy of DC's and Nismo. They are made overseas and have been known for quality control problems. I just installed a set of Strup headers. They are made in America, have a 2 year warranty and share the same design. All the headers that share that basic design will have very similar power gains. I didn't buy topspeeds because I didn't want to risk having a problem during the install or down the road. Headers are a pain in the *** and time consuming to install. I only wanted to do it once so I bought the Strups. You can find a good deal on a set here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146062

Everyone on this forum will probably say to buy the Crawfords. They are said to give the best top end gains but they are very expensive and the most difficult to install.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you read the 9 other Top Speed header posts?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:53 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
Did you read the 9 other Top Speed header posts?
There are 9 other Top Speed header posts? If you took the time to search, why not post links to them and help a guy out?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:46 AM
Z BOY

there's also tons of info over on motorng.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by undrgnd
There are 9 other Top Speed header posts? If you took the time to search, why not post links to them and help a guy out?
give you a fish/teach you to fish
Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 AM
jmckuhen

Geez, the search ****'s are becoming more and more prevelant on this site. I have the top speed headers on my 350. I like them, and they looked to be constructed very well to me. The welds looked very good, much better than my kenetix high flow cats. They fit well, but it is a difficult install (took me about 8 hours). They provide minimal gains, ie you notice a difference but not much of one. For the price I guess it is worth it, especially if you are not going FI and plan on doing all the NA mods you can. It seems that my car reacts better to mods now that I have a bunch of mods working in conjunction with each other. You should be able to find some for about $200, so just get em. There cheap and at least you can say "I got head...........ers". If you want the most power go with crawfords, but they are a pain to install and cost an arm and a leg.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Badmonkey

I just had my Topspeed headers installed this past weekend. They were constructed very well, no quality issues, at all. My butt dyno can't really tell a difference, but my ears tell me that there is more air flowing. I can hear more rasp with my test pipes at higher rpms.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

EVO Z33 did you see this independent Nismo header dyno?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....mo+dyno+header
Old 10-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Nismo 350z

DC heaers are better than top speed. But the best ones are Nismo. WAY better than crawford.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:16 AM
lowrider

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
DC heaers are better than top speed. But the best ones are Nismo. WAY better than crawford.
Mister - You are Dead Wrong. While the Nismos are good (as is the BRM copy). The best by far is the Crawford. It's a tuned Long Tube Header (26" each Tube) in the space of a short tube header. The others have tubes of around 18" long, and are not all equal length. I believe the Nismo and BRM are equal lentth, but much shorter than the Crawford.

Lou
Old 10-12-2005, 12:23 PM
jmckuhen

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
I'll take some of what he's smokin.

Nismo doesnt even produce their own products (USDM parts), they just rebadge other people's stuff.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Beeker

Like I said, everyone will say the Crawfords are the best. They may very well be. But I must say I've yet to see a before and after dyno with a set of Crawford headers being the only change.
Most people have only had one set of headers on their car. Headers are too much of a pain to install so most people only do it once. I haven't seen any threads saying I switched from header X to header Y and noticed a big difference.
Strup, DC, Top Speed, Nismo and Alphawerks are all very similar so they should all give similar gains. Which from what I've experienced with the Strups is a nice boost in the mid range and a small boost up top. I also don't feel like I've lost any power anywhere. It pulls harder a couple hundred rpms ealier. Before I used to feel the motor starting to pull around 3000 rpms. Now it starts around 2800 rpms and pulls harder.
The Crawfords may give a bigger gain up top because they are equal length. I will never know because I'm not spending over $1,000.00 for them and I don't want to install headers again. I wanted an increase in the mid range because that is where you need it for street driving. I got exactly what I wanted. I will post my before and after dyno results as soon as I get it done.