Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

TWM Individual Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Zexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWM Individual Throttle Bodies

I have emailed TWM and i know i am probaby not the only one who has done so, but the representative stated he has talked with his engineering department about a possible kit development. He says if he sees 10 people with interest in the kits we will see a range price of $5000 a kit. This also includes the R&D/design they will start to develop. I asked him when can we start seing this kit produced for the VQ market and for a less expensive price. He has stated that the Porche V6 kits are currently $4k and are in good demand.

Bottom line if we show some interest these guys can start to design and develop these kits. Maybe for a much lower price as well then they ask. TWM won't want to waste their time and money on a design people would not want. I would personally most likely drop the money for the kit if it was realeased.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:46 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$5k for about 30whp?

I'll pass

I mean, I hope to see them come to market and all, but you still need like a motec M600 or something to be able to handle them so that'll up the total price by 5k to equal 10k for 30whp. This particular engine IMO just isn't worth it, though why in the freaking hell should this thing cost so much? Especially more than a porsche part?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 - 4 - 5 grand? I would get a TT for 6... This item is for an X-treem NA setup for sure.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Zexy

I totally agree, but if they see higher demand maybe they would lower the pricing. Especially lower than a Porsche part like you said. This is what i've been trying to state.

I would not pay $5k either. BTW i'm sure Motec is not the only solution to tuning a setup like this.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just depends if I run out of things to do
Old 10-11-2005, 07:59 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work finding out this information, I was looking for this kind of solution but my requirements have since changed. I'll forward this onto to some people who might be.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by sentry65
$5k for about 30whp?

I'll pass

I mean, I hope to see them come to market and all, but you still need like a motec M600 or something to be able to handle them so that'll up the total price by 5k to equal 10k for 30whp. This particular engine IMO just isn't worth it, though why in the freaking hell should this thing cost so much? Especially more than a porsche part?
to see the benefits of ITBs.... add aggressive cams, higher redline, hc pistons, etc... who's the fool who would put itbs on a stock VQ35de... he'll see 10whp maybe, not 30. ITBs are just another AF mod... on a stock VQ35DE it won't do much.

Porsche engine revs to 8000rpm, itbs are a different issue, the engine already has all of the above.

Trending Topics

Old 10-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Zexy

Nobosy else has anything to add? Any possible interests for a lower price? How much are you all willing to spend?

Originally Posted by Nano
to see the benefits of ITBs.... add aggressive cams, higher redline, hc pistons, etc... who's the fool who would put itbs on a stock VQ35de... he'll see 10whp maybe, not 30. ITBs are just another AF mod... on a stock VQ35DE it won't do much.

Are you a Mechanical Engineer? Do you have KNOWLEDGE or a theory to back up that fact? Go ahead and start explaining since you're an expert...

I wish we had an expert on VQ motor building and dynamics on this great forum.

Last edited by Zexy; 10-12-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:04 AM
lane myers

will the price drop with more interest than 10 people.

5k is way too much to ask before the r&d is even done. there's no real ball park they can give you in terms of gains if they havent actually test the itb with our motor - too many variables to put down that type of cash, without seeing any real results that apply to our motor.

though i am really interested, its a great NA mod, but not 5k.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy
Nobosy else has anything to add? Any possible interests for a lower price? How much are you all willing to spend?

Are you a Mechanical Engineer? Do you have KNOWLEDGE or a theory to back up that fact? Go ahead and start explaining since you're an expert...

I wish we had an expert on VQ motor building and dynamics on this great forum.
I'm only a ME student, so forgive my lack of credentials- but he is right. The only benefit you'll recieve on a stock VQ would be much sharper throttle response, and if not calibrated right, will not be very friendly on the street. ITB on race cars, they use a standard 1:1 linkage ratio, but on street cars, like the M3, it is a variable ratio to prevent it from acting like an on/off switch. The increase in breathing will really only come from better intake design, and while air velocity stands a good chance of being increased, it is again dependent on intake design for effective results. The stock engine bay I think will be to restricted in space to allow a suitable design. Look at the intake in the GT300 cars, that is perfect fo the ITB they have, but will not physically fit in the Z without extensive mods to lower the engine in the chassis and have a custom hood among the major items.
I think ITB would be awesome, but not very practical for the money. If you want to build a *****-out N/A VQ, then rock on and good luck, but finding ten people like that with the cash up front for an experimental design could be tough.
Will
Old 10-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Zexy

^ Thanks for your view and as a ME student.

I understand your response, but it is just the matter of fact nothing has been officialy PROVEN. Nobody knows what kind of results the motor will yield and you're playing with opinions only ! TWM is a group of individuals who do their R&D and create a effective design. They make applications for Honda B series motors which is a very popular product, V8 Ford motors and Porsche like they have stated. They would not sell a product for thousands yielding small results. Throttle response is 65% of the benefit with ITB's anyways! I also don't like to look at it as WHAT COULD HAPPEN but HOW OTHER MOTORS COMPARE. Tuned Honda motors yield impressive results and incredible throttle response.

I do agree with you the results would be minimal with only a stock motor. A increased aggresively tuned motor(higher compression, agrressive lumpsticks, higher rev limit) will take the higher benefit!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

honestly......its a dead horse. I'd bet you could not get more than 5 people tops to step up for it. The Z market is not about performance sadly.....90% of it is show, no go
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
honestly......its a dead horse. I'd bet you could not get more than 5 people tops to step up for it. The Z market is not about performance sadly.....90% of it is show, no go
Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
anotheraznguy

I agree w/ adam =)
Old 10-15-2005, 06:16 AM
cracka350z

mmmmm...i just burned my tongue
Old 10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
ReavTek

I'm not sure now is the best time to lauch something like this. Alot of Z owners are still scratching their head on what combo of bolts work best, what to do for the loose rear end, and how to reduce weight. A 5k ITB setup for this car probably wouldn't sell much but for around 2k I would consider it in about 1-2 years (once all my mods are done and I have a standalone ECU).
Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 AM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

selling 4k parts to us porsche owners is easy (considering base car cost) - to nissan guys? if you narrow it down as: how many 350z are there, how many will EVER be modded, how many will stay NA, how many of those will ever have the engine management / cams+springs+retainers+headwork / pistons / crank / vtc pullies etc to even benefit from this, then how many of those VERY FEW remaining people would be willing to pony up 5k+ for this kinda mod, you will be very lucky to get to 5ppl... too bad too, as it's something i'd LOVE to see for this car.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
UsafaRice

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
selling 4k parts to us porsche owners is easy (considering base car cost) - to nissan guys? if you narrow it down as: how many 350z are there, how many will EVER be modded, how many will stay NA, how many of those will ever have the engine management / cams+springs+retainers+headwork / pistons / crank / vtc pullies etc to even benefit from this, then how many of those VERY FEW remaining people would be willing to pony up 5k+ for this kinda mod, you will be very lucky to get to 5ppl... too bad too, as it's something i'd LOVE to see for this car.
Well, in answer to how many will be modded, a whole lot of them. But how many will be modded beyond appearance and intake/exhaust- not nearly as many.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:39 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

5k is bs! how the hell can u charge that ? the s2000 guys have a kit for like 2, and get alot of power off a relativley stock motor....i think nothing can be said until its tried....ive been wondering what the hell is taking so long, there should have been a kit out already!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:43 AM
zzz350

SLAP! Zexy's face is burning red.

Quick Reply: TWM Individual Throttle Bodies