Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

other short ram options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 03:02 PM
03_Track_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default other short ram options?

Okay I am going CRAZY reading all these posts about intakes, so I need some advice.

Here's my goals :

I want to stay N/A, so this intake is here to stay

I want it to make the most power possible throughout the band

I have no worries about sucking in water, just want power

Based on these, I have found that short ram is probably the way to go, it seems that short ram is making the most power on our cars not at peak but everywhere else. I would LOVE to see an intake that ends just where the pop charger does but relocates the factory MAF sensor to the tube itself, allowing for a uniform increase in piping size. What are my options for this style? I don't really like the pop charger because it retains this housing, and that seems like it's not maximizing performance.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:50 PM
cvt

The only short rams for the Z that i know of are the K and N typhoon, pop charger, AFE, Stillen, Gruppe M, Injen 1985rd (it;s a CAI that can be converted to SRI), and K and N aircharger ( http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-6013 ).
realistically they are all the same...i hear the most power you get out of n/a are the plenum, header, cats and reflash anyway. whatever intake you get should be minimal in the overall scheme if you are going full out n/a anyway.

my suggestion...just get the cheapest one...i'm thinking you are going all out n/a (i.e. crank pulley, plenum mod, cams, ecu flash, header, cats, dual exhaust, clutch+fly, FD,)?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:51 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could shorten the K&N Typhoon Air Intake by eliminating the pipe in front and the filter box. But that seems expensive just to suck hot air from inside the engine bay.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No reason to get rid of the snorkle from the K&N... it only help, and in rain, rain wont go up it...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pop charger should be good enough for you.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Zquicksilver

03 track Z,

my goals were the same as yours. if your handy, my advice is to just build your own... that is, unless you want a bling factor along with the intake...

keep the plastic OEM pipe, increase air-intake potential with a conical filter, keep heat out with a plastic shield. if i can get off my azz, maybe i'll retro fit a larger pipe for the current MAF tube someday. IMO, there is enough cold fresh air in the bumber/grill cavity to maximize cooler intake temps. you don't need a ram air device... it doesn't hurt though if it comes with the kit.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 11-22-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:48 PM
ZinMiami

Hey Quick,

Does Rubbermaid know they are in the Intake business now?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Zquicksilver

Can you say BURP, woops, that's TUPPERWARE "TM". The new TM for Rubber should be whhoooooooooosh, Yea, I'm a product geek

Hey, find me a heat shield for $6 that I can see thru, doesn't conduct heat and seals as well as a RUBBERMAID container and I'm sold... LOL!

Miami, this isn't directed towards you, but I know some "know it all" will crack a joke at some point... do I care, not really, because I win in the end

Zquicksilver
Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
zzz350

Who's end to you win in? Bet u didn't expect that crack, er, joke.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:43 PM
alex12

I'm pretty happy with my Injen CAI (SP1986). The piping extends down to the grille, where the filter is placed. I don't feel any loss of power in the lower end. In fact, I feel more power throughout the rpms. But this is just according to my butt dyno; I haven't done any real dynos yet.

There's also a Weapon R Secret Weapon intake for the 350z that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I don't know much about it, but I'm pretty sure you can find plenty of info in this forum using the search button
Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
03 track Z,

my goals were the same as yours. if your handy, my advice is to just build your own... that is, unless you want a bling factor along with the intake...

keep the plastic OEM pipe, increase air-intake potential with a conical filter, keep heat out with a plastic shield. if i can get off my azz, maybe i'll retro fit a larger pipe for the current MAF tube someday. IMO, there is enough cold fresh air in the bumber/grill cavity to maximize cooler intake temps. you don't need a ram air device... it doesn't hurt though if it comes with the kit.

Zquicksilver
your RS*R intake looks pro..
KUDOS FOR ORIGINALITY !