Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Sport Z Magazine plenum results

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:14 AM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a bit disappointed SportZ didn't dyno with both the 05 lower plenum and one of the aftermarket plenums or spacers. At least we'd have a somewhat definitive answer to if it's a good combination or if one should go for just one. Looking at the numbers, it seems that if you want more low-end power, the lower plenum is the way to go. If you want more high-end power, then a new plenum or spacer will do the trick.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 PM
LODOSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do eveyrone say 05 plenum? i thought 03-05 were all the same and 06 has the rev-up lower plenum..
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 PM
rico3682

Just placed my order for the year. Thanks a lot, I can't wait to get it. Hopefully I will get to read this article to help with my future purchase. I had planned on the motordyne isothermal 5/16".

-Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by devster
I still haven't gotten my issue, but I am never sure if I am current on the subscription because I can never keep track.

I am looking for the results of this test and what they found!? I am ready to purchase some sort of plenum upgrade for the new year.

Any insight from the article would be great.

Thanks,
John
John, when a subscription is about to run out, we send you two separate reminders by mail. If there is no response, your subscription expires. If you would send me your complete name and address, I'll look into it and inform you of your status. Please email me direct at publisher@sportzmagazine.com.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by publisher; 12-20-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LODOSS
why do eveyrone say 05 plenum? i thought 03-05 were all the same and 06 has the rev-up lower plenum..
They probably mean 05 track plenum. Which is the Rev Up motor
Old 12-20-2005, 12:36 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by rico3682
Just placed my order for the year. Thanks a lot, I can't wait to get it. Hopefully I will get to read this article to help with my future purchase. I had planned on the motordyne isothermal 5/16".

-Eric
Order received. Thank you.

However, your subscription will begin with the Spring 2006 issue. The Winter 2005/2006 issue bacame a back issue on December 2nd. If you look on our Home Page and Order Page, we depict the BEFORE and AFTER dates to advise new subscribers when their subscription starts.

I know, this sucks. In the mag world, deadlines are a fact of life. Hope you understand.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 12-20-2005, 12:50 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Ten days after one member get's his and mine hasn't arrived.

Paul350Z, I addressed this on another thread yesterday. Are we OK?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by Diesel350
They probably mean 05 track plenum. Which is the Rev Up motor
thanks for the reply.. so if that is the case why do you 06 =o go back and use the 03-05 lower plenum.. i understand on your graph it makes more power.... but then the info really just contradicts itself.. non rev-up motor with the revup lower manifold makes more power..... and rev up motor with non-revup lower plenum also makes more power. hm.....
Old 12-20-2005, 12:53 PM
LODOSS

I must say though.. from looking at the pictures.. it clearly shows that the rev up lower intake manifold has a better design and flow..
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 PM
pingrr

It is my understanding that on a non rev up motor. Using a rev up lower plenum and a spacer/plenum upgrade will cause to much airflow. Then the ECU does some strange things that take away the power.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 PM
devster

Originally Posted by pingrr
It is my understanding that on a non rev up motor. Using a rev up lower plenum and a spacer/plenum upgrade will cause to much airflow. Then the ECU does some strange things that take away the power.
I would like to confirm this. Although, it sounds like for everyday power, the REVUP lower plenum will make the most power across the entire power band.

With an ECU reflash, I wonder what it would look like up to 7000rpm. It sounds like it may not gain much, but I am leaning towards the REVUP lower plenum!
Old 12-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by xswl0931
I'm a bit disappointed SportZ didn't dyno with both the 05 lower plenum and one of the aftermarket plenums or spacers. At least we'd have a somewhat definitive answer to if it's a good combination or if one should go for just one. Looking at the numbers, it seems that if you want more low-end power, the lower plenum is the way to go. If you want more high-end power, then a new plenum or spacer will do the trick.
You got that the other way around. If you want more lower end power/tq.. then get an upper plenum or a spacer. If you want upper end power, then get a lower plenum form the REV-UP motor. I have it on my 04 touring and it really kicks above 5K rpms but I lost some tq down low in the 2500-3000rpms range. I haven't dyno'd it yet but I will soon. I also have a reflash so it makes power all the way until 7100rpms. But what I don't get is why we 03-05 with non REV-UP motors can only put one plenum on our cars where as REV-UP guys who already have the lower plenum can add a spacer or an upper plenum and make power. Anyone know this?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by pingrr
Yeah its too much air for the ECU to read and it resets back to factory settings. But if the REV-UP guys can make power by adding a spacer/upper plenum, then why can't we on our cars!!???
Old 12-20-2005, 03:59 PM
pingrr

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Yeah its too much air for the ECU to read and it resets back to factory settings. But if the REV-UP guys can make power by adding a spacer/upper plenum, then why can't we on our cars!!???
The ECU for the rev-up may simply be tuned diferently and be able to handle more air.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:08 PM
03_Track_Z

I have an 03, so are my options either new upper, spacer, or lower? no lower + upper bc of ecu but will an emange ultimate take car of that? and where can i get the lower from? thanks.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:28 PM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z

I think eveyone is getting this all confused.. from my understanding..

a non-rev up motor will benefit from plenum and spacers... (you can put a rev-up lower plenum on your car but will lose low end tq/hp and gain some hp/tq up top)

a rev-up motor can also gain from plenums and spacers but due to the design of thier lower plenum (design for higher rev power) when they put in a non-revup lower plenum it gains low-mid tq/hp and prob alos lose a few up top...

this is what i understand it as.. however some of the info on this thread is giving me the birdies... its confusing when you cant be 100% sure the info a person is saying is correct.. not saying anyone is lying..

please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:32 PM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by devster
I would like to confirm this. Although, it sounds like for everyday power, the REVUP lower plenum will make the most power across the entire power band.

With an ECU reflash, I wonder what it would look like up to 7000rpm. It sounds like it may not gain much, but I am leaning towards the REVUP lower plenum!
I kind of doubt this because the amount of air is still sense by the MAF... and i doubt the lower plenum willl incrase the total amount of air going into the engine by that much.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by publisher
Order received. Thank you.

However, your subscription will begin with the Spring 2006 issue. The Winter 2005/2006 issue bacame a back issue on December 2nd. If you look on our Home Page and Order Page, we depict the BEFORE and AFTER dates to advise new subscribers when their subscription starts.

I know, this sucks. In the mag world, deadlines are a fact of life. Hope you understand.

Thanks,

Bob
Eric and all late orders for the Winter 2005/2006.

I don't know how I could have forgotten this, but I did. We (Art and I) decided sometime last week to send all "late" subscribers the Winter 2005/2006 via first class mail at our expense. It's the SZM version of ho, ho, ho y'all.

ALL "late" subscribers should begin receiving their first class issue within a couple of days. Many already have. Eric, your winter issue went out earlier today. BTW, your subscription will go back to Periodical mailing starting with the spring 06 issue.

Dont know how I could have forgotten this; gotta be the drugs.

Bob
Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Z BOY

when can i expect mine to arrive in san diego?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:03 PM
devster

Originally Posted by throbbing_Zon
But I am really interested in how the lower plenum did. Can someone give a brief synopsis on that?

Originally Posted by Diesel350
9-10 HP increases in the 2000, 3500, 4000, 6400 RPM range. 3HP/3TQ peak gain
According to that, the lower REVUP plenum gave 9-10hp across the entire RPM band. That's what I was getting at. Someone else said the REVUP lower plenum would only produce power up top and lose down low. I would have to trust whatever the magazine came up with?

My point is that 9-10HP across the entire band is much more usable on a daily basis and from a "feel" standpoint than 9-10HP peak.

Also, from all this conversation, it is not wise to use a lower REVUP plenum with any sort of spacer or replacement upper plenum, although I would be interested to see what happens.

That is my understanding in a summary of this entire discussion.

Quick Reply: Sport Z Magazine plenum results