Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Sport Z Magazine plenum results

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:23 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey sport z how about a nice article on a 2005 aps tt g35 with the rev up motor and a built motor and utec.. we can test the rev-up mod too.. i know someone who wants to give you guys first dibs..haha
Old 12-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devster

According to that, the lower REVUP plenum gave 9-10hp across the entire RPM band. That's what I was getting at. Someone else said the REVUP lower plenum would only produce power up top and lose down low. I would have to trust whatever the magazine came up with?

My point is that 9-10HP across the entire band is much more usable on a daily basis and from a "feel" standpoint than 9-10HP peak.

Also, from all this conversation, it is not wise to use a lower REVUP plenum with any sort of spacer or replacement upper plenum, although I would be interested to see what happens.

That is my understanding in a summary of this entire discussion.
I was the one who said it would lose TQ down low. I did not get this from any magazine, I am telling you from personal experience because I have it on my 04 Z. The 9-10HP increase comes in above 4500-5000 rpm, not across the board as you say. I feel the loss down low but its not significant but you can still feel it. So this mod can be suited for daily driving but it really shines in the higher rpm range.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by LODOSS
I think eveyone is getting this all confused.. from my understanding..

a non-rev up motor will benefit from plenum and spacers... (you can put a rev-up lower plenum on your car but will lose low end tq/hp and gain some hp/tq up top)

a rev-up motor can also gain from plenums and spacers but due to the design of thier lower plenum (design for higher rev power) when they put in a non-revup lower plenum it gains low-mid tq/hp and prob alos lose a few up top...

this is what i understand it as.. however some of the info on this thread is giving me the birdies... its confusing when you cant be 100% sure the info a person is saying is correct.. not saying anyone is lying..

please correct me if i am wrong.
Yes you are correct. The REV-UP motor can benefit from upper plenums and spacers, where as the non REV-UP motors can benefit from upper plenums, spacers, and the Rev-Up lower plenum. Each of these will make power/torque at some point in the rpm range and also lose power/tq. in the rpm range.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:42 PM
03_Track_Z

where do you buy the revup lower plenum? and can i see a pic of it because all this is confusing, also if the ECU wont take the lower plenum + spacer, if you have an emanage will that correct the problem and get you even more power?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:00 PM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Yes you are correct. The REV-UP motor can benefit from upper plenums and spacers, where as the non REV-UP motors can benefit from upper plenums, spacers, and the Rev-Up lower plenum. Each of these will make power/torque at some point in the rpm range and also lose power/tq. in the rpm range.
that is different than what i am stating.. Look at the MD MREV kit.. what does it use? a 03-05 lower plenum on a REV-UP motor to provide more tq and hp across the whole chart... now why would the MREV kit use the 03-05 lower plenum to provide gains if the REV-up lower plenum is already better?

as i have stated before i personally think the rev-up lower plenum has a better design.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:03 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got that the other way around. If you want more lower end power/tq.. then get an upper plenum or a spacer. If you want upper end power, then get a lower plenum form the REV-UP motor. I have it on my 04 touring and it really kicks above 5K rpms but I lost some tq down low in the 2500-3000rpms range. I haven't dyno'd it yet but I will soon. I also have a reflash so it makes power all the way until 7100rpms. But what I don't get is why we 03-05 with non REV-UP motors can only put one plenum on our cars where as REV-UP guys who already have the lower plenum can add a spacer or an upper plenum and make power. Anyone know this?
You clearly aren't looking at the same magazine I'm looking at. The chart clearly shows that the plenums and spacers add most of the HP gains at the higher RPMs while the lower plenum shows most gains at the lower RPMs.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Nismo 350z

I got mine from Performance Nissan. I can show you a pic because its already installed in my car and it sits under the upper plenum and cover. Its hidden. I don't know if the E-manage can correct the problem of combining a lower plenum with a spacer on a non Rev-Up motor. I have not seen anyone on the forums or anywhere else combining those parts. They either get one or the other. You can try it if you like and post some dyno runs with the parts working together and by themselves. Here is a link to it..http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=3328
Old 12-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Nismo 350z

that is different than what i am stating.. Look at the MD MREV kit.. what does it use? a 03-05 lower plenum on a REV-UP motor to provide more tq and hp across the whole chart... now why would the MREV kit use the 03-05 lower plenum to provide gains if the REV-up lower plenum is already better?

as i have stated before i personally think the rev-up lower plenum has a better design.
Yeah the MD MREV kit makes more power and tq across the whole chart until 6400rpms where it begins to drop. The Rev-up lower plenum is designed better because it has shorter runners. I think the reason why the MREV kit does well because its a modified lower 287 collector. Not the stock one that the car came with. Also maybe has to do with the variable valve timing on the exhaust tracts... I dunno. All I know is that the Rev-Up plenum works great on non Rev-up motors and I am happy with mine.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by xswl0931
You clearly aren't looking at the same magazine I'm looking at. The chart clearly shows that the plenums and spacers add most of the HP gains at the higher RPMs while the lower plenum shows most gains at the lower RPMs.
Ok I don't have the Sport Z issue with the plenum shoot-out in it so I am not getting this from any mag. Maybe you are confusing it with a MD MREV kit for the Rev-Up motors. I heard that is great for daily driving. Why would the Rev-Up lower plenum make power in the lower rpm range when it came from the Rev-Up motor which revs all the way to 7000rpms? The reason why its called the Rev-Up lower plenum is because it comes from that motor. Spacers and upper plenums make power in the low to mid range. Not in the top end like the lower plenum. And if you put that plenum in a 287 motor, then you lose some low end tq but gain upper end hp. If you don't believe me ask Jason from performance. He will explain it better.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:38 PM
GEE PASTA

I think eveyone is getting this all confused.. from my understanding..

a non-rev up motor will benefit from plenum and spacers... (you can put a rev-up lower plenum on your car but will lose low end tq/hp and gain some hp/tq up top)

a rev-up motor can also gain from plenums and spacers but due to the design of thier lower plenum (design for higher rev power) when they put in a non-revup lower plenum it gains low-mid tq/hp and prob alos lose a few up top...

this is what i understand it as.. however some of the info on this thread is giving me the birdies... its confusing when you cant be 100% sure the info a person is saying is correct.. not saying anyone is lying..

please correct me if i am wrong.
You are correct! And yes some of the information above is not correct.
Just a quick note. For the M-REV" kit to work right, you need an 05-06 6mt 298 HP engine.
And the 300 HP Z engine (Rev-up engine) you can use the lower plenum off an 03-04 6MT & AT and an 05 AT. I wish I had my Magazine.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM
03_Track_Z

=( can someone tell me where to purchase/look at a lower plenum for my 03? i think my posts are getting lost in the fight
Old 12-20-2005, 08:37 PM
GEE PASTA

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
=( can someone tell me where to purchase/look at a lower plenum for my 03? i think my posts are getting lost in the fight
Get hold of Tony. He can set you up.

Info@motordyneengineering.com
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Performance Nissan is the place to get them.

But to be honest. The REVUP collector doesn't make more TQ. Ed's car was the only car to test REVUP collector but his baseline dynos had some very serious ping. And unfortunatly, the dyno operator forgot to do a ECU reset before Ed's baseline dyno. All other pulls on every other test after that had a ECU reset with each new set.

There were two Z's tested that day.
ScHel's and Ed's.
ScHel's had the bulk of the pre/post testing performed on it.
Ed's had only the REVUP collector tested.

What looks like significant TQ gains with a REVUP collector was actually a low baseline dyno being compared to it. If the baseline dyno's also had a ECU reset just before the pulls, it would have made a better pre/post comparison.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:31 PM
LOU

So has no one used both an aftermarket upper plenum or spacer and a rev-up lower plenum on a 03-05 to see what happens?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:31 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Performance Nissan is the place to get them.

But to be honest. The REVUP collector doesn't make more TQ. Ed's car was the only car to test REVUP collector but his baseline dynos had some very serious ping. And unfortunatly, the dyno operator forgot to do a ECU reset before Ed's baseline dyno. All other pulls on every other test after that had a ECU reset with each new set.

There were two Z's tested that day.
ScHel's and Ed's.
ScHel's had the bulk of the pre/post testing performed on it.
Ed's had only the REVUP collector tested.

What looks like significant TQ gains with a REVUP collector was actually a low baseline dyno being compared to it. If the baseline dyno's also had a ECU reset just before the pulls, it would have made a better pre/post comparison.
So then we don't really know what a lower plenum will do for our '03 & '04 Z's? It's not really all that then?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:33 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by LouZer
So has no one used both an aftermarket upper plenum or spacer and a rev-up lower plenum on a 03-05 to see what happens?
Yah, Anybody? I haven't heard of anyone reporting that yet.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok I don't have the Sport Z issue with the plenum shoot-out in it so I am not getting this from any mag. Maybe you are confusing it with a MD MREV kit for the Rev-Up motors. I heard that is great for daily driving. Why would the Rev-Up lower plenum make power in the lower rpm range when it came from the Rev-Up motor which revs all the way to 7000rpms? The reason why its called the Rev-Up lower plenum is because it comes from that motor. Spacers and upper plenums make power in the low to mid range. Not in the top end like the lower plenum. And if you put that plenum in a 287 motor, then you lose some low end tq but gain upper end hp. If you don't believe me ask Jason from performance. He will explain it better.
The lower plenum used in the mag is the 05 OEM lower plenum, not the MREV. I don't care what it was supposed to do, I'm just reporting what the mag reports based on their dyno results.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got the issue! Good work Tony! I am glad I went with your system
Old 12-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
where do you buy the revup lower plenum?
I have one laying around the garage if you want it.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 AM
350ZRB

Sport Z;
Any reasons why you did not test SSV?

Quick Reply: Sport Z Magazine plenum results