Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Top Speed pro 1 install & review

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:01 PM
jakesford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Speed pro 1 install & review

Well after seeing the video of the blue Z with this exhaust and comparing sound clips of other exhaust i decided i liked this one. I bought the Top Speed 3" catback used on ebay for $230, from a local seller so no shipping! Installed it this afternoon and the install was extremely easy, the hardest part is getting the stock parts out of the way. It took about 15mins to install after the oem pieces hit the floor. The quality of the exhaust was top notch and fits absolutely perfectly.

Now as far as sound... (completely stock, just the cat back without silencers) This thing is loud and very deep at low rpm's/ cruise when you get on the throttle. As it climbs the towards redline the sound changes to a more melow scream. I know sound is subjective but to put it in perspective i drove a 5.0 Mustang several years that had headers, an off road H-Pipe, and 2 chamber flow masters dumped before the axle. The stang was loud but this is much more so. With the silencers its not nearly as loud, but still a very deep tone and is louder than many other catbacks that i have heard.

The finish is very good, welds are clean and the bends are perfect. I'm not a big fan of canister style mufflers (a lil ricey IMHO) but it has the deep sound i was after and no lack of volume when you hit the loud pedal especially with the silencers off.

BTW: I'm leaving the silencers in, I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood and have some respect for my neighbors... LOL
Jake

Last edited by jakesford; 01-09-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:20 PM
ActionJackson

Default Take the silencers out!

NOOOOOO YOU HAVE TO UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!

When I got mine first installed I told the muffler shop to just take the silencers out, I didn't even need to hear the car with silencers. I bought it because it was loud, I'd be damned if I didn't like it!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:29 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Photos are appreciated.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, so are you saying that you coupled the 3inch exhaust to the stock 2.5inch yipe? Or did I read wrong?

You are going to see a much bigger improvement if you put a 3inch ypipe in and take out the silencers. TRUST ME.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:04 AM
mahont

Pics, pics, & more pics.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 AM
StifflerHB

installed my topspeed today ! MAN, i love the sound ! Its very very loud without the silencers. I dont try to drive without it. With the silencers its pretty cool. Nice deep sound from 1-3000 rpm, at 4000 rpm it just screams !

Fittment is ok. Quality is very good.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Ztampa

I almost bid on that exhaust, but I got scared of the 3" loudness w/ my res. tp's. Kinda wishing I had bid on it now. Oh well, enjoy.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:31 PM
StifflerHB

With testpipes it would be undrivable i think. I have a vid of a white z (maybe you know chachi ) with the topspeed pro 1 , test pipes, y-pipe and header... damm, thats totaly to much !

before i installed my pro 1, i had the topspeed y-pipe installed too. But with the pro 1 exhaust it was too loud. very deep tone in cabin. too much for my ears. i think, the topspeed with stock, is ok, if you put the silencers in. And if you want to go loud, take it off and have fun.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by mahont
Pics, pics, & more pics.
here you go, I was going to take pics of the install ect. but i was too excited and was done before i thought to get the camera...

I will get a sound clip here in a bit
Attached Thumbnails Top Speed pro 1 install & review-exhaust-009web.jpg   Top Speed pro 1 install & review-exhaust-006web.jpg   Top Speed pro 1 install & review-exhaust-005web.jpg   Top Speed pro 1 install & review-exhaust-003web.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 03:03 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by Acree
Wait, so are you saying that you coupled the 3inch exhaust to the stock 2.5inch yipe? Or did I read wrong?

You are going to see a much bigger improvement if you put a 3inch ypipe in and take out the silencers. TRUST ME.
Yes, I know, i would have gotten more power from test pipes and a nice Y-pipe, even with leaving the stock cat back, but this was a good deal so i couldn't pass it up.

I will probally end up getting a y-pipe a little latter on since the factory piece seems to be the main bottle neck. But i doubt that I will be running test pipes, atleast not with the pro 1 .
Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice setup... glad to hear that topspeed is making progress!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:31 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Photos are appreciated.

Respect
JET
Old 01-10-2006, 06:31 PM
TheLastSpartan

did you remove your M brace?

i cant seem to get mine to fit right

Last edited by TheLastSpartan; 01-10-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by TheLastSpartan
did you remove your M brace?

i cant seem to get mine to fit right
Nope it fits right over it, about .5" of clearance between the pipe and brace. Your sig mentions a custom y-pipe is that causing the problem?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
sundevil67

Hmmm - I dunno. I am deciding between this and the Stillen. I think I like the look of the Stillen better; with that one the muffler is more visible. I would love to actually hear how this one sounds though - any chance your digital camera has audio record so you could post a .wav file or something? I am sure others would love to hear it also...sorry, I know this thread is way old, but I just found it!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
TheLastSpartan

Originally Posted by jakesford
Nope it fits right over it, about .5" of clearance between the pipe and brace. Your sig mentions a custom y-pipe is that causing the problem?
could be the problem but the people who did the y-pipe also installed it for me
Old 01-10-2006, 07:43 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by sundevil67
Hmmm - I dunno. I am deciding between this and the Stillen. I think I like the look of the Stillen better; with that one the muffler is more visible. I would love to actually hear how this one sounds though - any chance your digital camera has audio record so you could post a .wav file or something? I am sure others would love to hear it also...sorry, I know this thread is way old, but I just found it!
Yeah, from the audio clips this is louder and deeper than the stillen, here is the video clip that made me want this exhaust.

http://home.comcast.net/~vballdallas1/350run.mpg

I'm going to try to make a sound clip tomorrow after work. Mine doesn't seem to be as raspy as that clip. I agree, I don't really like the look of this exhaust as much as others, but for the price and sound it was my pick.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 AM
sundevil67

Wow - I love it. That sounds awesome!