Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne 5/16" spacer = loss of power??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:01 PM
bluesaint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technically, having more air volume should increase throttle response.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:08 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

without doing a dyno and checking the install it is still hard to generalize and
say you have lost power. the reason i say this is that from day to day your Z
will tend to gain or lose from just ambient factors such as temp, etc.

i'll give an example. on cold days the cooler air provides noticeable gains that
are not there on a warmer day.

it's also possible as someone else mentioned that it's the install. i too have a
5/16 inch spacer from Motordyne and have experienced nothing but gains. if
you feel you are losing power i would suggest having the install checked. the
mod itself is so basic in function that it's hard to imagine negative impact on
your car and not so many others.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Responsiveness? Can't say that I've seen that aspect captured or measured on the dyno, but the responsiveness has always been subjectively improved for me.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:50 PM
bacalhau16

looking forward to receiving mine. i have been considering more and more about doing a baseline dyno, then one with a jwt pop charger, then the spacer! I guess I'll have to check the availability of the dyno this week!
Old 02-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Install the spacer while the car is still on the dyno (if you can).

That way most of the variables will stay constant and you will see the most accurate results.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:07 PM
zugbug

Ya didn't loss power. What you gain is a smoother running (better breathing) engine that appears to have lost power. That's what I noticed. Get you car past 4800 rpm and she just squirts ahead. At least that is what I am experiencing. Got the plenum on last week, took it out on the freeway. Noticed a truck way ahead of me. Observing the power as the rpms were going up. Hit 5000 rpm. Holy J***, ****- all of a sudden I was on that trucks ***. I am personally happy with the mod. Check out the article in Sport Z last month. You're makin' 3-4 horses til you hit the upper registers- that's when you start feelin the butt dyno. Horsepower to $$$- the best best mod I put on. Of course, this week, popped on the Kinetics HF cats and with these 2 mods, the Z breathes and certainly moves down the road mo betta!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Inovashn

I just put mine on tonight after work. I felt some nice gains to go along with my header install over a month ago. That wrx I blistered on the way felt it too.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:28 PM
THE TECH

I just want to say that this post wasn't in any way to bash Motordyne or their products. For anyone to take it that way is just absurd. All I was asking was if anyone had had similar "symptoms". I just feel that the car has lost a little responsiveness and power from 500 rpms to 2000rpms. I do definitely feel more power at the top end.

Thanks to Tony for his offer, but I'm not looking for anything out of anyone, just pleasant conversation about the topic. If you wanna take it personally, you shouldn't be here as this has nothing to do with you in the first place.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:54 PM
ct350z

i personally have felt some great gains with my 5/16 spacer. its definitely the best mod for the money. my car has really opened up nasty, i truly can remember how my car was stock, but i don't think i've lost any power down low. it did take some time to kick in though, i guess the ecu had to adjust to the change. just just give it some time and im sure you'll have a change of heart.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 PM
dream724Z

Hats off to Tony for making the dyno cost guarantee! The Tech should verify the spacer's gasket is sealed. I once had a bad gasket intake leak on an ancient Nissan (when hot) that lost so much power it was measurable with my one-bit Butt Dyno.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

The Tech,

No problem at all. And thanks for the feedback! Feedback is always good for me because it keeps me on my toes, motivates change and innovates ideas for product improvement.

In fact, without it, there would only be a basic 1/2" plenum spacer. That would suck... But keeping focused on continual improvement has led to several good changes and many more options.

And many more new/different mods are in the works!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
reptile718

I have an Injen CIA, would I experience problems or loss in power after installing the plenum spacer with the iso thermal stuff? Any members out there who have tried it with positive results? I have heard rumors and stories about problems occuring, I really do not see why but just want to make sure. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:00 PM
ct350z

i dont see why the cai injen would be difffrent from any other cai. im sure you'll be fine. go for it, trust me!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:09 PM
BootieMAN

Originally Posted by reptile718
I have an Injen CIA, would I experience problems or loss in power after installing the plenum spacer with the iso thermal stuff? Any members out there who have tried it with positive results? I have heard rumors and stories about problems occuring, I really do not see why but just want to make sure. Thanks!
I have a Injen CIA and the Motordyne Iso Thermal Spacer and couldn't be happier. See my previous post in this thread for my results with the 5/16 spacer.

-Bootay
Old 02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Originally Posted by BootieMAN
I have a Injen CIA and the Motordyne Iso Thermal Spacer and couldn't be happier. See my previous post in this thread for my results with the 5/16 spacer.

-Bootay
+1

same here. you should be good to go. in my opinion the CAI + spacer install
are one of the best bang for your buck installs out there.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

READ: ~>https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/172411-everything-install.html
Old 02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
teacher

Default 5/16`` + popcharger = improved power

None of this is dyno-backed, so take it as you will...

The 5/16`` went in first. Battery disconnected for the install, no leaks afterwards, yadda. I noticed some minor improvements - especially with throttle response and post 5000 rpm power. Low-end gains? Maybe. After 100-150 miles the difference wasn`t more noticeable. I don`t think my car needed much adjustment time other than the battery disconnect.

About 1 month and 200-250 miles later I installed a Popcharger. Within 20 miles I noticed a bigger improvement in both throttle response and top-end. Cummulative bonus. No doubt the car is pulling harder above 5000 or 5500 rpm now. It`s louder, sure, but I`m talking a harder pull too. Have to think the combo of spacer plus Popcharger on my Z is sympatico.

Opened the window on an onramp and goosed it. Not sure what to think of that mid-rpm whistle from the Pop. Don`t hate it but...well, that`s another matter

I`m 99.9% sure I gained overall. How much? No idea, but I feel it, and it isn`t a placebo effect.

Well spent $280 for the combo. (Used JWT and discounted spacer).
Old 02-17-2006, 04:21 PM
bacalhau16

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Install the spacer while the car is still on the dyno (if you can).

That way most of the variables will stay constant and you will see the most accurate results.
i was intending on doing so but in the instructions it says to let the motor cool off first, it actually says overnight, so that the aluminum doesnt stick to the bolts or something.
i wanted to try it, and if u say everything will go alright, well then i will definitly do it!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Be sure to spray the bolts with DW40 and use a TQ wrench.

Cooling off overnight is good when thousands of installs are being done, but I've done it countless times on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Motordyne 5/16" spacer = loss of power??